Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pig Monkey

HackTV episode 1 feedback

41 posts in this topic

I found it was actually pretty good. I liked the wardriving stuff, since I am not fortunate enough to have been wardriving myself.

To get around the shaking camera while pointed at latop:

Aren't there ceratin programs, that let you record your desktop as a video?

you don't get sound and the live action shots... its all part of the excitement... :) sound doesn't carry over as well not to mention switching between computers and seeing a screen wouldn't have the same effect as the camera... puts the user in presepective

That was kool. I liked the part about puting in the intake, but you should have put it on a better car, i mean come on, a toyota camry?

that is a ROLLA baby...not a stinking camry. There are already 3 more filmed and completed episodes of hacking the ride and the final product will be a lot more than you expected.

Besides, what am I, Donald Trump? It's not like I have a tip cup out or anything. ;)

Edited to address several comments in one post:

bobnino, thanks for the suggestions. We will absolutely keep them in mind for the future. some of them we knew, but it was too late to do anything about them. We do not do this for a living so we did the best we could. Ultimately instead of spending more time fixing it, we decided to go with it and learn from it in upcomign episodes. We also thought it kept an underground and "real" feel to it by keeping the original shaky footage.

We have planned segments that are actual recording of the desktop as we do demonstrations. We just did not think that would be the best thing for the first episode. They will definately be in upcoming episodes.

The intro will actually be a little longer in the future as new people record their intros. But we will probably trim them down individually. With 27 minutes packed behind it (-1 for outro), we thought 2 minutes wasnt too bad.

One other comment: Wait until you see the outtakes for some of the upcoming stuff. ;) How is *that* for a teaser? B)

I enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed "the broken" & "Seattle Wireless". Hell I even enjoy watching those 3 kids dumpster dive on RantRadio TV. Anything that can give you a visual perspective on things is awesome.

I have worked on a couple films that were made here in CT. I was actually a PA on the film "Mr Deeds". I am now motivated to get a group together & make a few submissions for future HackTV episodes. I am gonna call a few of the folks down at studio 4 and see what we can set up for late evenings when we can film for free. This should be a lot of fun.

More CT pimping:

Anyone in the area that would like to be involved with this, please contact me.

hey, great show guys. i dont really know what to say. all i have watched in this catagory is the broken eps. and they were lame, you just blew them away. i'll see what i can do about making some film of my own to help out with this.

this deserves: :voteyes: :voteyes:

And thank goodness it doesnt!

Wow, to involved in it, I can only imagine the countless hours spent on that, much time planning and setting up and lots more editing! I didnt think the intro was too long at all, I liked being introduced to everyone. And actualling seeing an ep now has inspired me to get something going to submit!

Hey, gotta say that I loved it. I'm looking forward to future eps. As for the polish of the film work, I thought it was fine. I liked the intro, and I'm left wondering what exactly Saitou saw that had him running out of the room like he just ate a bad chili dog. :)

What I'm after in viewing something like this is details, and this was good. I can read about how to use Kismet or airsnort and know the procedure, but I'm looking for application and maybe pitfalls, etc. The Broken has lots of flash and pretty editing, but it's really just a glorified Screen Savers episode where they drink beer instead of Dr. Pepper. In other words, there's no in depth coverage of a topic, but just the high points. Like watching the evening news versus reading the newspaper.

I don't see anything at all wrong with doing motion screen capture with voiceover for certain things. Something like rebuilding the 2.6 kernel, using nessus, showing how to capture packets, MAC spoofing, etc.

I'm OK with the car thing, but I agree with what somebody said above about hacking the computer and tweaking it for better performance. I'm completely lost in this area, being an old Chevy 350 guy, pre-fuel injection.

All in all, I'm impressed. I've watched it several times already. Quality is good, as is the sound, and I got it downloaded in about 15 minutes. I've still got the torrent open, though I'm running it on my laptop and it goes down while I'm running back and forth to work. Good to put a face with the related voices, too. Stank, you're almost exactly what I was picturing. Same with RAX. I'd seen dual before. But I'm still wondering if that was really Bland. Did he ever find his mommy? ;)

Good job guys.

PF

Hmm, a still video source would make it easier to read, but wouldnt it just make you feel like you are watching a TechTV segment? Personally I think the free range camera gives it a way more personal look, showing you they are actually out doing stuff, not sitting in a studio

I just finished watching it...had to view the wmv version though, since this box suxors...lol Hi-res wouldn't play...:(

Anyways, I thought it was pretty kool...and I have to say I liked that "Blair Witch"y shakey camera effect...gives it a more "underground" look...:D

But I do agree about a few comments already made...the UE section was kinda pointless...or was it that you were leaving us wanting more? ;)

I did like the car-hacking...I've done a few mods to my ride in the recent past, but I never really looked at it as hacking the car...gives it a whole new perspective now...:D

And I really liked the wardriving part...like some others, I've never been, but I'd love to...just need to get some funds together to get a good laptop...:D

I'll definitely be waiting for the future episodes...:D

The intro wasn't too long either. Although I couldn't stop laughing when I saw stank get ready to leave his building. The very fisrt time he's about to walk out of that room he looks like hes a little kid happy to get off work. its so funny. and the UE part was funny. dual a is funny guy

Edited by doug

*goes and UE's Blands house!*

a good segment for hacktv would be a reenactment of bland brute forcing the bathroom door!!

a good segment for hacktv would be a reenactment of bland brute forcing the bathroom door!!

yes, a re-enactment! That would be good...the story itself is better for radio. But a re-enactment (in lieu of original footage) would be hilarious.

/me envisions the words "RE-ENEACTMENT" at the bottom of the screen with horrible "acting" by bland like those terrible actors in the cop video shows that re-enact the crimes.

If there is gonna be any re-eneacting, you should do a re-eneactment of the "deadly halon" story. To see Stank haul ass out of a server room and do and OJ Simpson through the door. That would be funny.

yes, a re-enactment! That would be good...the story itself is better for radio. But a re-enactment (in lieu of original footage) would be hilarious.

/me envisions the words "RE-ENEACTMENT" at the bottom of the screen with horrible "acting" by bland like those terrible actors in the cop video shows that re-enact the crimes.

i'm envisioning bland eating a burrito.... then suddenly (bland makes face, camera angles get distorted)