Melekin

Community Book Sharing Program

43 posts in this topic

Before you send out books, be sure to label them with your name and addy, as well as good way to contact you, unless of course you're afraid that the evil hackerzzz will get you.

My Offerings: [not all tech, but books I think people here might be interested in]

Techish:

* Tron - you know... Tron...

* The Ultimate Internet Outlaw - *snicker*

* The Fugitive Game - Littman's book on Mitnick [good book]

* Hands-On Novell Network 5.0 - Course Technology / Textbook [i have a spare]

* Steal This Computer Book 2 [with CD] - Extremely cool stuff, covers STCB1

* Enhanced A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC [with XP guide] - Kind of shitty, reasonable condition, written in

Success / Brain Books: [good ones]

* The Ruling Class - Inside the Imperial Congress

* Power - How to get it, how to use it

* How to win friends and influence people - you should have already read this

General Education:

* Organic Chemistry - T.W. Graham Solomons - Fantastic - Basically a Textbook

* Government in American Society - Circa 1968 - Primarily propaganda, however has loads of good information too - textbook

* Several Law Books - Textbooks

* Lots of counter-culture/conspiracy theorist literature, most of it is well thought out, and has a legal basis

Generally Badass:

* Recreational Drugs by Professor Buzz - A good combination with the Organic Chemistry book!

* The Cult at the end of the world - the story of the AUM TRANG [people who gassed the subway in tokyo] Rotten Library - Absolutely fascinating book

* Thieves World - Painfully dry book about mafia types, and their current standing - still a good book

* Hagakure - HEY, Shutup, it kicks ass! If you don't know what it is, Google it.

Generalities:

* Comic-Strip books [funny ones]

* Almost everything by Raymond Feist [Fantasy Writer]

* Lots of Starwars stuff

* Lots of Religion Books [specifically the occult, cause we all know that's most interesting]

* Some classic lit, some books for writers

I can get more specific if need be, let me know if anyone's interested.

Contact me any way you want, all of my contact information is real in my registration data. email is drone1984 at comcast.net

Reading Simulacra: Fatal Theories for Postmodernity by M.W. Smith

Chaos, Creativity, and Cosmic Consciousness by Rupert Sheldrake, Terence McKenna, and Ralph Abraham

Darwin Among the Machines: The Evolution of Global Intelligence by George B. Dyson

The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh

Free as in Freedom: Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software by Sam Williams

I have some java books that I will give people if they pay shipping.

"Not just Java"

"Concurrent programming in java"

Repost..

Ok here's my list at the moment. * - Means I'm currently reading that book so I won't send it out for a while.

Hacking the Xbox - bunnie

Running Linux 3rd Ed

Linux Network Admin Guide

Hacking Exposed

Basic Electronics 8th Ed McGraw Hill

*Hacking The Art of Exploitation - Jon Erickson

Brief History of Time 10th Ed - Hawking

*The Electric Meme

Sams C++ in 21 days

Lets come up with some guidelines.. paste your name (handle at least) and address inside the front cover so everyone knows who's book is who's. Hmm.. it'd be good if we could come up with a site and maybe a php script to see who's got what checked out and all that.

we could even expand the library to videos and cds if there is an interest. (and console games, anything really)

After some searching, I came across some projects like this that we could use as a model...

http://www.communitybooks.org/

http://thebighack.org/modules.php?op=modlo...ghlight=library

Ok .. who can code this ? I'm not all that great with php, but I could design a layout and / or host this thing.

thanks for making the new thread fellas, i really appreciate it..

..: from stank :..

remember that binrev magazine prints book reviews. So type up some for all the books you're passing around and mail them to articles [at] binrev [dot] com (the reviews, not the books) :lol:

Cool, it's coming along quite nicely. Thanks for the links lowtec. A couple thoughts:

-- In terms of shipping costs, I personally would really like to see this head in the direction of each person paying the $$ to lone *their* books out, and ship *their* borrowed books back. This would work perfectly, and be ultimately much cleaner both in purpose and practice.. as long as nobody leeches. For now, if it's alright with you guys, I wont build anything like a share/receive ratio into the system. Until something like this becomes a problem, I would say that there shouldnt be too much red tape holding everything back. ^_^

-- It is important that we get some element of trust going. For the moment, access to register in the system will be limited to forum people (possibly a keyword required when you sign up or something similar). Imo a very simple feedback system would do best (won't be in the beta though). If anyone gets out of hand, they will be <chessy accent>terminated</cheesy accent>.

The dilemna here is to be as open as possible while still allowing there to be a level of assurance that you wont get your books ripped off. That security/convenience tradeoff is what I'm not quite sure on (ideas?).

-- Period people get to keep the books- imo we should decide on an arbitrary number of weeks and leave it at that.

-- Minimizing the exchange of people's docs.. since this is an odd case of actually needing a correct address.. each user's addy will be completely private until he/she requests a book, at which point the user will be asked before (temporarily) allowing the shipping user to access the receiving user's addy. Like someone suggested, the owner's addy, bukkake stains, and other personal Things could be written on the inside cover, making the need for another exchange of addys no more.

These are just the issues I noticed while looking at those links, and beginning the programming. I'm sure there will be more (bring em up if you have any).

I would try to explain what the details about features/functionality, but I think that would be better left for when I get the beta up (couple of days), at which point you guys can bash the hell out of it and tell me what needs to be changed. :)

So anyways, let me know what you think! I think this is a great idea (props to whoever came up with it), I think it could have a lot of potential.

If anyone wants to help writing/auditing the code, let me know.

edit: lowtec: I can host for now. I suck at layout/design, that would be really cool if you could do that.

Edited by greystatic

Alright folks, this seems to be getting interesting.

I can do design/content building if my skills are needed.

I'm pretty experienced with HTML & fotoshop, and I've recently been getting off on CSS...

It seems like you folks already have all the bases covered, so things look good.

I think a good time allocation is 2 weeks for every 500 pages.

I think the fear of pissing off our fellow hackers is probably enough to keep us all in line, when it comes to returning stuff.

books i've got:

Hacknotes Network Security

Server+

Windows 2000 Server

Win2K Network Infrastructure Admin.

Java 2

Security Complete

ATL Dev. Guide

C++ in 10 mins.

Game Programming All in One

Dummies A+

Cracking DES

Encryption Techniques with BASIC and C++

VB Dev guide to COM and COM+

VB Dev guide to the Win32 API

SAMS internet programming w/VB 6

SAMS OOP with VB

Pascal

and my Red Hat linux 6.2 book, thats going to be a collectors item ;)

I agree it would be much cleaner if the "checker-outer" paid for shipping costs both ways. But how would we implement this and prevent people from overcharging ?

Paypal could work, but not everyone will have an account.. that could add another level of trust though.

Also as neuro stated, he has books that he doesn't really care to have back. I think if we could get someone central to the project (maybe use the RFA PO Box) and people could send books in they want to donate to the library.

I'll help audit code and work up a layout if you send it my way. just pm me or drop a link in here.

I think if we could get someone central to the project (maybe use the RFA PO Box) and people could send books in they want to donate to the library.

that would also reduce the "doc exchange" factor.

Yes, but for books people don't want to donate to the library, I think direct shipping would be better so we're not paying crazy shipping fees (loaner to RFA to loanee and back again).

The point is that docs are going to have to be exchanged somewhere, and if people want to assure getting their books back, posting your address inside is a good idea. Personally, I don't think it's a huge deal, but if people have a problem with it they can choose not to participate.

Speaking of books, does anyone like the " Cyber punk " Anthologies... I read alot of them back when I had alot of time to kill! Now I am just trying to patch up holes in my spare time... I am currently reading the book " In our own image " Pretty good stuff there about AI, and how man is trying to shape it to fit himself!

I just shipped Free as in Freedom to Melekin.

And I eagerly await it!

The script is almost done.. Ive got to take a suprise trip to phoenix for a day, so it might be a bit longer than I originally expected (definitely up by this sat. though). At that time I'll put the script and src up for audit, and contact you guys who can help with the layout/interface.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated on the status.. it's still very alive. ^_^

Edited by greystatic

At the risk of being a post whore, I gotta say that everybody doing this kicks ass.

Clarification...

When I suggested that we do this [dual sending his book to everyone] on a larger scale, my idea was primarily a friendship expanding venture, as well as a nostalgia generator. It really would be significantly less expensive for people to go to amazon.com, buy the books used, and pay shipping for that, then to send them from person to person, plus you'd get to KEEP the books!! But because we're doing this, I suspect a lot of people will become friends, and friends will become much closer friends.

I've been floating around this great big internet for a long time now, [not as long as some] and I made friends with a lot of people who have become rich and or famous because of this exploit or that, or this piece of wonderfully crafted software or that... Even the ocassional literary work. I can go back through the things I have and remember the awesome times I had with my friends, ... friends that I don't see anymore, friends that have passed on... And I think of how great things were, even though they seemed to totally suck ass at the time. When I think about these things, I remember that the only hope for the future is us, what we do today will ultimately effect us tommorow. If we send these books to anyone who wants to read them, and they sign the book with their handle, 5, 10, even 20 years from now you'll sift through your box of junk, and find some book that's beaten to shit, and has handwriting all over it - and you'll think to yourself... Those were some great times... The world is so messed up right now, that we can't directly do anything about it. The only way things will change, is to change the way people think - and the way to do that is through communication and sharing. Let the good times roll.

Edited by Melekin

is there some way you could have printable stamps? so for example lets say postal company lets you buy stamps over the net. then a paypal account could be setup and people could donate to the funds to cover shipping for everyone.

know what i mean?

is there some way you could have printable stamps? so for example lets say postal company lets you buy stamps over the net. then a paypal account could be setup and people could donate to the funds to cover shipping for everyone.

know what i mean?

I think the easiest way to do this is to have everyone pay to ship to someone else.

I got Pig Monkey's book "Free as in Freedom" today, ... so to offset the cost he spent to send it to me, I will send it to someone else, with my money. [and him if no one else requests it] Simple enough, if you don't want to spend money, don't offer the books, and don't request any.

Speaking of such...

Pig Monkey, got your book... Great so far, but I don't have you return address in the case that no one else requests it. The post office decided to make the return address useless by putting a tracking sticker right on top of the label with the return address. Assholes... If no one else requests it, I'll need to get that from you again.

Pig Monkey, got your book...  Great so far, but I don't have you return address in the case that no one else requests it.  The post office decided to make the return address useless by putting a tracking sticker right on top of the label with the return address.  Assholes...  If no one else requests it, I'll need to get that from you again.

Gotta love the post office. I'll email it.

Gotta love the post office. I'll email it.

Well here's the funny part...

The post office reccomends that you contact anyone who sends you a package before you open it, so you can verify it's really from them, and not something like a bomb, or anthrax or something. ... So they put a stick over the only way to contact the person who sent it... ... GRRRR.... I guess the pay is shitty, so I really can't complain too much... Oh wait, yes I can.

Well... This is my humble offering to the project...

[Design and Graphics]

Yes, i know all the links are null, yes I know it's static, not dynamically generated... It's just a bloody layout and design.

What do you think?

If you want it, I'll go through and comment my work, and work with you to make sure it fits the script...

-edit-

*cough* I guess it's good to have the link too, huh?

http://home.comcast.net/~drone1984/oshls/

oh btw, the name is just a placeholder... I couldn't think of anything else to name it.

Edited by Melekin

Well... This is my humble offering to the project...

[Design and Graphics]

Yes, i know all the links are null, yes I know it's static, not dynamically generated...  It's just a bloody layout and design.

What do you think?

If you want it, I'll go through and comment my work, and work with you to make sure it fits the script...

-edit-

*cough*  I guess it's good to have the link too, huh?

http://home.comcast.net/~drone1984/oshls/

oh btw, the name is just a placeholder... I couldn't think of anything else to name it.

Thats fucking sweet man. ^_^

Yeah, we need to think of a name to call it. I'm not feeling especially creative right now, any ideas everybody? "Distributed library _____" is already taken (http://www.communitybooks.org/). Maybe integrate "p2p" in the name somehow? It really is the primary distinction between this project and a local library.

As far as fitting the script goes, it shouldnt be too difficult. I'm trying to get everything modularized atm.. when it's done, we should be able to pin down what goes where (within the html) very cleanly.

Im also on working on getting the source and database up publicy.. before I start working on the beta, the code needs to go through a major reorganization- its >1000 lines, need to take care of it so Im not starting out of control. In any case, should be up reasonably soon.

Beta is due in 1-2 weeks. Thanks for the contributions everybody!

Edited by greystatic