Zenys

Video Poker Phone Line

5 posts in this topic

Learned from a local attorney that my state lottery in Georgia legalized video poker machines by stepping in and taking partial revenue from these machines via a phone line.

How does a system like this operate, maybe the way a Telco collected money from a payphone? Would these be on a unique individual number? Could a person terminal inside one of these machines? I know nearly every other gas station in my county and generally the south have these types of poker machines 5 to a wall.

apologies if this isn't the right section for this.

The most common way to connect random things to the phone network is to give it a modem on a chip (the TDK 73K222AL is a common one. These sorts of designs are probably the sole reason low baud rate modems still exist), and implement some weird, not human readable protocol. Only one way to find out, though - especially with something that's already capable of outputting sounds.

Though it's also sort of a catch 22. Being caught playing with anything behind a poker machine doesn't sound particularly fun at all. Do you ever get to hear the machines dial out? In any case, if they answer incoming calls, they probably do have separate phone lines, but they could all just have one and just do outgoing calls.

Do you know the name/number of a gas station that has one? I might be able to shed some light on what's going on.

770-574-9790 Robinson's Shell Station

I do know they have a video poker room within the station, at least 3 machines I believe. This station is located right beside I-20, see's a huge amount of traffic from Alabama that doesn't have a state lottery. 

Another exit down is a Love's Truck Stop

770-824-5040, also has a room with 4 or 5 machines.

If any machines are linked by a phone my guess would be these due to that high influx of traffic. I have suspicions that more rural stations may not be linked but are "supposed to be" but aren't out of disregard for lottery mandates. I never seen any "lottery official" inspect a video poker machine like perhaps an official lottery "scratch off" ticket machine. 

I myself have never heard any sounds or tones emanating from the machines, some are silent and some have music and sounds blaring like an arcade machine. You're correct about trying to investigate behind them, most I think are almost bolted to the wall, but next chance I have I will try and get a look see.

Edited by Zenys
Forgot something

I tried a few basic things, and all I could come up with was a second line for Love's; 770-824-5074. Incidentally, they have something transcoding their calls to g.729, yet have POTS lines. This is Everything Wrong With America. That being said though, the modems definitely aren't on that PBX.

770 574 7520 Get N' Go

Almost looks like some kind of CAT5e cable running up into the ceiling, I wasn't able to get a good look at the wording on the cables. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg