Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eshaelon

Wardriving and A&E vans

3 posts in this topic

This past Monday, I was conducting an experiment. My goal was to test the signal strength of my home access point as I approached the driveway.

Before I left my job, I booted up my laptop and started netstumbler. As I drove, netstumber was bonging away, locating around 200 access points between my work and home.

I was about 10 minutes from my house when something strange happened. I was passing by a home that recently burned to the ground and about to stop at a stop sign, when I heard the “bong”.

I glanced down and saw a weird MAC address: 9A01B7000444 and SSID: SST-PR-1.

As soon as I stopped, a van with a bright green “A&E” logo turned beside me.

I immediately thought “there’s no way that there is an access point inside of the burnt house.”, but I had to investigate.

I turned around and drove back down beside the burnt house….nothing.

I drove around the block a little ways….nothing.

Then I remembered the strange van.

I got home and looked up the MAC address vendor, and I cannot find one (maybe a spoofed MAC?) I then googled the SSID “SST-PR-1” and got a couple of hits.

Apparently it was coming from a Sears Home Service van, and here is an article about it and here is a van like the one I saw.

mobile solutions like this are nothing new. anyone who has done any amount of wardriving has undoubtedly seen ATROAD or @road ssid's. many companies use these mobile AP's for managing inventory, tracking thier fleet, and keeping their mobile employees connected and up to date for their route, deliveries or whatever else.

Its not like you'd be hacking the gibson, Its just a PWV's tracking device.

PWV = Plain White Van.