ranleyos

Scamming the Scammer

9 posts in this topic

Ok, so there is the outfit that is trying to scam people all over the place. I used to think that people who fell for these scams deserved to lose their money. But, after thinking about it, that would include most people I know, even my mother. So, in the spirit of helping to distribute karma a little quicker to these people, I am looking for suggestions on how to scam a scammer, or at least mess their day up. All I have is their email address. Any ideas?

-R

what kind of scam are they pulling? Generally the way to scam a scammer is to make them think that their scam is about to work. If they believe they're going to be getting a payday they may drop their guard.

for inspiration:

http://www.419eater.com/

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

http://www.mcgrewsecurity.com/2007/10/26/d...or-hire-scheme/

http://web.archive.org/web/20020124110027/.../dos/grcdos.htm

The scams are on various auto sites, claiming to sell cars at rock bottom prices. Its pretty sofisticated actually. They set up a quasi-fake escrow service that seems real enough, only they run it. Their sales are all under $5,000 per case because they know that the Feds, or anyone else pretty much won't touch them for anything under $5000. So, these people run free to scam people.

-My plan was to go along with one of their scams to "buddy" up with them, but not sure what I can really do. Well, I can think of a few things. But was looking for some great ideas from the community. Maybe I won't even go thru with it. But if I have time, what the heck.. These people have stolen thousands and thousands of dollars and they aren't even being tracked by law. In one case alone, they stole $55,000 from one dude. -Maybe he wasn't the smartest, but again, their outfit seems really legitimate and seems to lure even the most suspicious people.

Any thoughts?

I am looking for suggestions on how to scam a scammer, or at least mess their day up. All I have is their email address. Any ideas?

First rule of the con: You can't con a conman.

lol, you can't con a conman? I beg to differ. I've received numerous 419 emails before and they are easy to deal with, you just don't reply. Most of the 419ers send random emails to random names even if they don't exist. Each email is different so they can identify you by replying. Even if you reply from another email account. As nice as it sounds to try and con a conman, it's better not too as you'll only end up getting more spam.

Edited by r4p1d

First rule of the con: You can't con a conman.

Come on! Seriously??? I don't agree with that for a second. Admittedly, some people trying to scam a scammer probably shouldn't. Many perhaps, would get too emotionally caught up in it, don't know when to get out, have to high of expectations, or slip up somewhere and divulge private information, etc... Yes, there is a risk in trying to scam a scammer. Which is why I pointed out that I may actually not go through with it. For me personally, it is really more the waste of my time that I'm worried about - not the fear or danger of messing with scammers.

Edited by ranleyos

I say message them saying you're interested in buying a car. Use a fake name and a throwaway email account, See what they say.

One time I was trying to sell one of my guns with the want-ads in the local newspaper. The ad ended up on there website as well.

I got emails from someone in africa, he said he was a broker wishing to source the item for his client.

I was selling for 475, good deal on a that model with all the add-ons.

He wanted to send me a check for $1k ... LOL... So I played along knowing this was a big sham.

He sent me the check, I did not cash it.

But when it came time for me to do my part of the deal.

I sent him $1k in play money :-) and a nice cap gun from walmart.

He sent a rather funny email telling me how childish and stupid I was for playing "these silly games"..

I donno, was good times for me, hope somebody else gets a laugh and maybe the creator of this thread gets a fun idea!!

lol, you can't con a conman? I beg to differ
Come on! Seriously??? I don't agree with that for a second

Calm down guys, it's a line from the show Hustle. I thought people may have seen it and seen the relevance. Clearly not. -_-