Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Free OpenSolaris 2008.5 CD

15 posts in this topic

Here

Order yours. I've ordered the Solaris 10 11/06 in the past, but at the time support was less interesting than it seem to be now. They provide documentation on how to install OpenSolaris with other operating systems on the same machine. In my case, I'll make some space for it on my laptop that runs Windows and Linux. If you do not want to install it as native, you could download VirtualBox (free virtualization software by Sun) and install it as a virtual machine. By the way, VirtualBox is a very nice software that you runs on Linux and Windows too, that easily replaces VMware workstation. I use it to run Vista, and it works at good speed. I think they also have a Live CD. You can always give other Sun products a try, such as SunStudio or NetBeans IDE. What is cool is that you get all those professional tools at no cost.

Ordered! Nice to see they're suggesting reasonable shipping times...I got the 11/06 version of Solaris 10 from the free program, but it took forever.

Awesome! Any other free CD deals like this out there? I know Ubuntu has one, too.

Why are you guys so happy about getting the cd?

Why don't you just download the iso and burn it yourself?

Or am I missing something?

I downloaded the iso, yeah. But it is always fun to have a real nice CD with the cover and everything.

I see.

As I say in my language: "Free stuff is always tasty." ^_^

You see? Now this is why you're my favorite Aghaster!

You see? Now this is why you're my favorite Aghaster!

Hehe, I'm quite happy that this topic sparks the interest of some people. By the way, I strongly suggest that you read the documentation on how to prepare your system for an OpenSolaris installation (if you plan to install it natively). Important things I've read in it: if you have GRUB installed, backup your menu.lst so that you can modify the menu.lst that will come with OpenSolaris' GRUB. Also, if you have Linux installed, the OpenSolaris partition must be before your swap partition.

Also, this version of OpenSolaris supports ZFS (Zetta Filesystem). Check out the wikipedia article on ZFS. I've never used it, but I remember the general interest about it when it came out.

Yeah, good info. They've been doing this for a while, I think.

Not sure if this is the same thing or not, but I found Solaris to be a pain in the butt to install on x86 hardware. I guess it's pretty slick on Sun stuff, but I had nothing but trouble from the get-go. (May work better on a VM of some sort, I never tested that out.)

Yeah, good info. They've been doing this for a while, I think.

Not sure if this is the same thing or not, but I found Solaris to be a pain in the butt to install on x86 hardware. I guess it's pretty slick on Sun stuff, but I had nothing but trouble from the get-go. (May work better on a VM of some sort, I never tested that out.)

See the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) for OpenSolaris. There is a different one for Solaris 10, which has less entries.

Sun Device Detection Tool

I've never used Sun Device Detection Tool, but it looks like a good thing to try before installing OpenSolaris. It should generate a list of all your devices along with the support that OpenSolaris has for it : Built-in driver, third-party driver, no driver, etc.

OpenSolaris: Open source under the CDDL license

Solaris: Free, but comes with proprietary software (correct me if I'm wrong)

Nah, it wasn't hardware incompatibility. It was just... inconsistent. I installed it on the same hardware 3 different times, and each time it did something wrong differently. :)

Maybe they'll send us some documentation and spam us with miscellaneous swag while they're at it. ;)

Maybe they'll send us some documentation and spam us with miscellaneous swag while they're at it. ;)

Nah, they don't. They give you nice stuff for free :) without unwanted free spam

Cool... I have the last Solaris sitting on my shelf collecting dust. Honestly I did try it once because the consulting company we were working with suggested it for our application, but I never could get the hang of admining the damn thing.