BrakeDanceJ

What exactly do YOU want to see out of your internet/phone company?

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've obviously been absent from BinRev for a while, but with good reason. I started working at my friend's wISP. The really cool news is, well, we're officially a CLEC now! We are entering the final stages of our 2000+ page ICA with AT&T. We'll have a brand new Nortel switch sitting in our brand new state of the art center and office. We're two blocks from the AT&T CO and will have a rack and fiber directly in, as well as 2.5gigs of fiber transport from our location to one of, if not *the* nation's largest fiber hub.

So I ask you. What exactly do you want to see out of your internet provider or telephone company? What features or functionallity are essential and appealing? What things don't you like or would change? What kind of packages would you like to see available? Obviously world-wide unlimited calling for $1 a month would be great, however, I encourage you to contribute REALISTIC ideas and creative concepts that stand a chance of being considered.

I would *highly* encourage you to post any thoughts, being one of three employees really gives the opportunity to actually implement your feedback.

So, post, post, post!

-Joe

Edited by BrakeDanceJ

I want the enternet companies to have anonymous users. It could um, protect me from hackers. lol

Allow web hosting from residential internet connections.

IPV6!!!!! If you go to the ARIN website you can sign up to get a whole block for free on the condition that you have something like 25% usage within a couple years. After after some number of years you need to start paying. But seriously, IPV6!!!!

Allow web hosting from residential internet connections.

Me to, only one residential ISP here in the UK seems to offer it at present, and I plan to switch to them for this very reason.

Some kind of VOIP connection built in with the package would be cool also.

I guess I just want to be able to run as many different setups as possible.

Oh, and very short IP lease times, my current one issues a new IP even if I turn of my router for a second, others have 24hr ones, not something I would have again.

We do not currently block hosting from home.

What would be the benefit of short IP lease times? ISPs are still required to track all leases. If a provider is slammed with a court order, they are required to hand over information on who had what address at what time. Therefore, I would personally prefer long leases, as I could host things and refer to them statically. ATTB used to give you an IP address, and you'd have that sucker for at least 6 months.

IPV6!!!!! If you go to the ARIN website you can sign up to get a whole block for free on the condition that you have something like 25% usage within a couple years. After after some number of years you need to start paying. But seriously, IPV6!!!!

I'm not sure if IPv6 is worthwhile, it'd cause a bit of a headache to get going. I'm not sure the demand is really there yet.

We do not currently block hosting from home.

What would be the benefit of short IP lease times? ISPs are still required to track all leases. If a provider is slammed with a court order, they are required to hand over information on who had what address at what time. Therefore, I would personally prefer long leases, as I could host things and refer to them statically. ATTB used to give you an IP address, and you'd have that sucker for at least 6 months.

I've had the same IP address with Time Warner Cable for 18 months now. I've upgraded service, changed modems twice, had a couple of day long outages, and still I have the same IP address. I can't complain.

Though I have the money to pay for hosting I still just run a web server at home. No blocked services in my area.

Back to BrakeDanceJ's question.....I'd like to see a competitive international calling plan. If your in Chicago there will be plenty of people calling home to Central and South America. ;)

I'm not sure if IPv6 is worthwhile, it'd cause a bit of a headache to get going. I'm not sure the demand is really there yet.

But that's classic chicken/egg. The demand for IPv6 won't exist from a user's point of view until someone is providing a service which requires it. Service providers won't start providing services available only to IPv6 users until users are on the IPv6 network.

I would definitely like my ISP to provide IPv6 addresses...

Dry DSL line. Phone service delivered to customer by giving them:

• SIP server IP (or hostname)
  • username
  • p/w

Ability to set PTR on said DSL line (if you elect to use static IP, of course). No PPPoE crap. DHCP if you want it. Phone service supports T.38 for faxing. Since the ISP/telco are on the same network there is end-to-end QoS. No ISP sending forged packets with your IP address on them (like Comcast does).

Oh and when you call and say you use Linux on your PC and have a router running the same they don't treat you like you are from Mars. Don't expect you to help on setting it up but if I call with a speed issue or latency issue you don't blame it on the software.

I pay Bellsouth The New AT&T $42.95/month for my DSL. I'd be glad to pay my DSL provider an extra $8 + 5cents/minute (USA48 outbound) for the SIP phone services as long as you did not restrict the callerid.

Edited by Andre van dem Helge

Considering the IP block is free (for a while) and the hardware supports it, it would be a great way to get some publicity as being one of the first consumer ISPs to offer IPv6 addresses.

What can you tell us about federal wiretaps?

decent rates

signal quality

only contacts me if i ask them to or if something gets messed up really bad (my current phone company spams alot)

doesn't sell my dox to other companies

no filtering

no logging my traffic

easy to get a hold of if something does happen

trains employees on good security practices

pays me to fix their computer machines

What can you tell us about federal wiretaps?

The federal government requires all ISPs over a certain size to have a connection to some of their equipment. Should they issue a court order, all traffic is to be mirrored down that line.

decent rates

signal quality

only contacts me if i ask them to or if something gets messed up really bad (my current phone company spams alot)

doesn't sell my dox to other companies

no filtering

Done

no logging my traffic

Talk to your government about this one.

easy to get a hold of if something does happen

trains employees on good security practices

Done

pays me to fix their computer machines

Done, I can offer you a tier 3 top-level cisco tech position at $6.50 an hour. ;-)

a bunch of additional services (as an option) that modern switch is capable of but companies don't bother to offer