Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jabzor

Thumbs.db, Explorer

6 posts in this topic

After a bit of unsuccessful Googling, I haven't really found an answer and I am still somewhat curious -

Is there a way to disable explorer warning about moving/deleting/etc folders containing thumbnail database files or deleting the files themselves?

(Thumbs.db, are by default created as hidden system files if you have caching enabled, which is where the warning comes in.)

You can temporarily 'attrib -s -h', but explorer will re-permission these files when the folder is reaccessed.

I'm not looking to disable thumbnail caching or switch to an alternate file manager, but rather use some pre-existing though apparently poorly documented registry/ini/group policy/etc setting, that can be flagged once and then forgotten.

I have a feeling that a third party explorer addon that re-interprets system calls (like Xneat or Unlocker) will be necessary, especially if I just want to affect those files and not all system file access.

Perhaps it would be worth submitting as a feature request to Collomb for a future Unlocker release. :huh:

Any insight would be appreciated. ^_^

You can disable thumbnail caching caching all together by selecting Tools->Folder Options->View->Do not Cache Thumbnails (in any folder)

Edited by chown

You can disable thumbnail caching caching all together by selecting Tools->Folder Options->View->Do not Cache Thumbnails (in any folder)
I'm not looking to disable thumbnail caching or switch to an alternate file manager

:huh:

Lol, sorry. I must have missed that "not".

I think your options are kinda limited here. If you don't want to disable caching of the thumbnails the only other options I can think of are:

1. Select do not show hidden files and folders under tools->folder options->view

2. Select hide protected system operating files also under tools->folder options->view

3. Upgrade to Vista *dodges rotten tomatoes* as it caches all thumbnails in one place

There may be another option and if you find it please enlighten us because I've never heard of it.

Edited by M0ralGray

After a bit of unsuccessful Googling, I haven't really found an answer and I am still somewhat curious -

Is there a way to disable explorer warning about moving/deleting/etc folders containing thumbnail database files or deleting the files themselves?

Thumbs.db is protected by the standard windows file/memory protection mechanism, NTLDR, which is why explorer just re-attribs stuffs when you view the folder.

You might be able to attrib -r -s -h NTLDR (I think its in the root of the system drive (C:)) and then delete it, but if you do that you throw all the other file protection out the

window.

You also might be able to apply a binary patch to explorer that prevents it from re-attrib'ing stuff.

Hope this helps.