Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
droops

Vista Business Machine

16 posts in this topic

I need to learn me some Vista. I want to get Vista Business Edition, but I need some hardware for this thing. I dont know if I just want a vista box, or if i want a linux box, with vista running in vmware.

i am also a bit torn, do i build this thing myself, or do i buy a lenovo or some other vendors machine.

if anyone has experience with this, let me know. money is not the big concern, its performance.

I am going to update this post to reflect specs users post

> 2 gigs of ram

Avoid virtualization with Vista. The CS department at the university I attend gave us free copies of Vista Business Edition, and though it /is/ lighter than Ultimate, it's not fast. It crawled under VMware running on whatever specs my girlfriend's laptop is (Core 2 Duo 2.something GHz, 2 GB DDR2, running XP). Non-multimedia stuff ran at an acceptable speed on my Athlon64 3200+ box (2 GB DDR, Raptor 10k SATA-150 drive).

The Lenovo Vista-preloaded machines are pretty nice, but you'd probably save money building your own system. Dual-core is definitely the way to go. I can't advise much more than that, because I've since reverted to XP. I only use Windows for the occasional computer game anymore, and my hardware wasn't willing to play nice with both Vista and a game -- under XP, I can turn all of the graphical settings under UT2004 or Halo to max with no trouble. I was stuck with 640x480 resolution and minimal effects under Vista.

You *NEED* 2gb of RAM. I have 2gb in my system and am having some odd issues ever since I took out the CPU and walked across the carpet with it in my hands and me barefoot... lol

but I was messing with it trying to see if I could get it to work again and took out half the RAM and holy crap it was slow with only 1gb.

so what is the deal with all this intel virtulization hype?

My laptop is 2gb RAM and a core 2 duo. It runs Vista Basic fairly well.

But yeah, I wouldn't suggest going any lower than that.

bro you shouldn't buy vista i mean there a million permenant crack's out there that will upgrade you to vista ultimate..

also i have a dell (don't know what kind) and it is a desktop it has a p4 running a 3.2ghz and 1 gb of ram with a 120gb hd

and it is running vista ultimate faster then xp..(PM me if you want the crack) :D

thanks for the offer, but i tend to buy software for work.

Might I suggest using vLite to build a 'Tiny Vista'.

You can actually run at near XP speeds with most of the new features (bitlocker for example) but half of the ram and proc requirements of the 'out of the box' base-install.

If money is not an issue skip dual core and go straight to quad core, intel not amd. I would also suggest 4gb ram, its so cheap right now. Also maybe try RAID 0. You could build and maybe get it for $7-800 or buy built for $1000. I like to build.

I've run vista as a main os and in a vm. Performance wasn't as much of a difference than u'd think. But ive got a serious machine.

Vista is good to play with to stay current, but i think in the end if you do more than the average user(which i think most of us qualify as), your not going to like vista.

But i will say XP is noticably faster, and the new hardware right now is FAST.

what do i need specifically with vista business? i dont really know. i like to standardize clients on things, and i dont really see any added value of vista business over home premium. i am more likely to find a vista home premium machine to play with, so im going for buying vista business.

i picked out a laptop, i ordered a lenovo t61, 15.4 inch widescreen with an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2), 4 gigs of ram, and discrete graphics. it was 1500$ before the thinkpad protection.

its going to take a few weeks to get here, but ill keep yall updated on my progress with it.

Good call of the 4gb. People complain that "oh its too slow vista sucks and you won't be able to run a vm" are mistaken for their own computers. I had 3 gb ram on my laptop and could run vm's on vista with no problem...its a plus that you won't have to reboot everytime you want to use linux too.

fuck xp

I'm running Vista enterprise for work on a HP 8510w C2D cpu and 4Gb of ram ... I still felt it was not as snappy as it could be, but once I started tweaking settings in the registry and stuff, it now feels much snappier then ever. I still keep a virtual machine with XP though, some things just don't like the new "security" features of Vista.

some things just don't like the new "security" features of Vista.

Like user access control?

you can turn those things off

what do i need specifically with vista business? i dont really know. i like to standardize clients on things, and i dont really see any added value of vista business over home premium. i am more likely to find a vista home premium machine to play with, so im going for buying vista business.

i picked out a laptop, i ordered a lenovo t61, 15.4 inch widescreen with an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2), 4 gigs of ram, and discrete graphics. it was 1500$ before the thinkpad protection.

its going to take a few weeks to get here, but ill keep yall updated on my progress with it.

I think you'll be very happy with this choice. I never really realized how refined they were till i had to use one at work. Sounds like you got a good deal, too!

this will be my third thinkpad, they are wonderful machines.

the thinkpad protection is wonderful, you call them, get someone in atlanta, tell them teh serial number, they say, yes mr droops, what do you need. they believe you when you say something is wrong,they dont make you go through tons of tests, they just send you a box to ship them the laptop.

my dog chewed up a power cord and i spilt coke in a keyboard, they fixed both for free, even after i told them what had happened. no hassle, no supprise expenses.

i havent had to use it yet on my t60, i hope i never have to.

they also keep wads of extra parts, so you can keep a laptop running for a long time.

ok, i got my laptop, vista sucks up some ram!!!

i disabled a bunch of stuff, im working on disabling more and writing a tfile on it (go hpr) and its running pretty good. only on crash so far, i didnt see it happen, so i dont know if it bluescreened or not. one thing i really dont like about it, is that when i am installing something, vista gets very unresponsive. ill post a screenshot in a bit.