Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Will4764

Syncing files across a network

10 posts in this topic

Hey,

I've got a few systems and I was wondering what the easiest way to setup having a shared folder on all systems would be. I don't mean just setting up a share on one of the systems. I mean like having a copy of a folder on each of the systems and when one gets updated (on boot) have the others copy the updated files to their folder. Based on something like last modified time.

Any ideas on what the best method for this would be?

Any software already available for this?

I had a look around but I couldn't anything already made.

Anyone got anything to help?

Edit[0]: Forgot to say, I run Slackware.

Edited by Will4764

You might be able to do something like this with a specially configured AFS (Andrew File System) setup but don't quote me on that.

I don't know what you are using this for, but I actually set up a Subversion environment. This helps keep things in sync and it also provides a method for storing versions of the files. Again, this comes in handy for my particular development environment where I am constantly updating files. However, a different solution may be better for you if you are just storing photos or something like that..

-r

Edited by ranleyos

I forgot to mention... Again, depending on your use... You may want to actually consider getting and/or building a NAS for a common share. A few advantages would be:

• 1 location for the files
  • Use of Raid to safely store your files in the event of hardware meltdown
  • You can also use a NAS for many other things including a media server.
  • You can (very cheaply) build your own NAS as the costs are solely in your hard drive. I've built a NAS before with a P2 400 mHz processor. Just get good drives and good raid controller and your set.

Again, this is more for storing files and providing general access to each computer. If you need to "push" the files, you may want to consider rsync as snow said, or you could look at Samba which is cross-platform.

Good luck

-r

It's more for reports and things like that so I can sync with a main server because I use a few machines and they aren't necassarily always connected to the main network at once, I'm on the road a lot. A NAS would be good if I was always connected.

But it's just for when I'm on the move I can update reports and things then when I reconnect to the network it pushes them to the other machines, or to a central machine where the others can grab it from when they connect.

Chances are the files will be being changed everyday, so I just wanted to see if there was an automated solution rather than me having to push the files to my server manually every time I connected to the network after a change.

That explain it a little better? ^_^

Oh and I totally never though of building my own NAS, I may just have to give that a go just as a side project haha.

I'd probably look at the Subversion stuff. Basically, you configure a subversion server which will store all your files. But instead of the server "pushing" updates to client pcs, you'd use a subversion client on each pc to "pull" down updates as needed. A different work flow process, so it depends on what you want. Again, the nice thing about Subversion is the version control and authoring locking that it provides to avoid version conflicts and each computer can work with the files independently of one another and then sync as well.

Well, whatever you end up with, good luck

Yeah subversion sounds like what I want, haha.

I'm away on business at the moment so I can't try it out, but I'll take a look around a do a little more research then with any luck as soon as I hit home next week I'll be able to get something working, cheers everyone.

Edited by Will4764

It looks like a done deal, but I just wanted to add my vote for SVN too. I've really got my teeth into it over the last couple of days and loving every minute of it (TortoiseSVN is a great Explorer extension, just remember to RTFM!)