Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ranleyos

Bypassing Symantec Tamper Protection

4 posts in this topic

Calling all peeps with experience of bypassing or turning off Norton AntiVirus Tamper Protection... This service is not supposed to be able to be stopped by anyone except the person with domain admin rights. Any ideas?

Ok, nevermind.. Definitely a "duh" moment. I thought maybe a non-admin user could do hack this somehow. As it turns out it can either be a domain admin or an admin of the pc. The latter of the two can obviously start/stop services which does the trick.

I know it is intended to be a good thing, but to have all that extra "weight" on a developer machine really affects performance if you are trying to work with audio/video.

Yeah, anti-virus performance can be horrible at times. A while back I was working on my girlfriend's grandfather's computer and it was an older Pentium-1 PC. I couldn't figure out why it was so terribly slow and it turned out that the anti-virus program that was installed had this option where it could constantly scan RAM for malcode.. disabled it with a checkbox and everything was fine. Nowadays I run ESET NOD32 which is pretty fast for AV since it's written in ASM. My $0.02. :flush:

Is this at your place of employment? Your school?

If it is affecting what you need to do that much, you should probably just explain to someone (with the necessary rights) your situation.