Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xmitman

Best Wifi Setup

12 posts in this topic

I need some opinions. It's been a while since I looked into them. What's currently the best wifi card and external antenna for wifi hacking with a laptop, long range and medium range?

Xmitman

haha wow thats a really broad question. well youre about to get a shit load of different opinions, and most people are probably going to say orinoco gold cards. but the truth is that theres tons of different cards and wireless chipsets to choose from. different power outputs, some with external antenna connections some without, mini pci, mini pci-e, pcmcia, the list goes on. and really what do you mean when you say wireless "hacking"? you want a card with driver support that you can capture data packets with, you want a card that you can inject packets with, or both. are you planning on doing your wireless hacking in windows or in linux? and what range are you looking to get out of your setup, 300 feet 900 feet, 2 miles??? i personally find that there isnt one particular wireless card that serves all of my wireless/wardriving needs so i usually have 3-4 depending on what i need to do. a good place to start learning is wirelessdefense.org

EDIT: also wlanparts.com has alot of nice antenna and connection solutions for your wireless setup.

I'm also looking for a pcmia wireless card for my laptop. I've just started using linux on it and of course my old card doesn't work. I'd like one that can capture and inject data packets. Something supported by popular tools such as AirpCap and wireshark ect.

I use the senao 2511cd. Its one of the more high powered cards(200Ma) and it supports packet injection. But its not the most friendly to get up and running under linux. The orinoco is probably the best way to go. Its pretty high powered too i think 100 Ma.

When it comes to wifi hacking linux seems to be the way to go. so make sure you consider that when buying one.

Ive had good success with my senao and a 9dbi omni mounted outside vehicle(magnetic). usually about 1200-1500 ft range(minimal/no obstructions). a directional would get you even more.

that is a pretty sweet deal. the one thing about the orinoco is you want to make sure you get the atheros chipset.

hmm http://cgi.ebay.com/ORiNOCO-Classic-GOLD-W...1QQcmdZViewItem

seems pretty decent imo, add in $15 for the vehicle antenna.

it only works with 802.11b, imho, orinoco is old skool, the best wifi card currently (pcmcia, pci-e, whatever) by far would be in the ubiquiti brand range. The senao cards are not too bad too and i heard they can match up to ubiquiti src but both are way to ex and beyond my budget.

Edited by unregistered

Its been a little while since ive last messed with all this good stuff and was not aware the windows tools now.

So what exactly are you using vector?

i know some people want to belive that linux is the only way to skin a cat but its not.

So very true! Understanding a variety of tools and what each can do well when working together is something many fail to look at.

Hi,

i've got several cards

-pcmcia senao 2511 prism 2.5 chipset 200mw ---> works great after patching

-pcmcia ubiquiti SCR 300mw atheros chipset ---> also works after patching

-Alfa 500mW USB with realtek 8187L chipset --->works after patching!

check out http://www.aircrack-ng.org for all info you need and

http://wardrivingworld.com

c