mirrorshades

Home WiFi Security

54 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

Because I feel like gloating (read my blog for the full story), I thought I'd ask what everyone out there is using to secure their home WiFi. I see a lot of discussion on here about snooping on someone else's connection, so time for everyone to fess up and say what they do to keep their own house in order.

I am proud to say that I am using EAP-TLS (i.e. certificates) authentication with a RADIUS server for my home WiFi.

I feel like such a Geek. :)

I feel like such a Geek. :)

that's cause you are a geek :P

-E

I built my own AP some time ago with multiple cards and running OpenBSD, so I could play around with it more than you can with an off the shelf product. At the moment the security set up looks like this, I'm running multiple fake AP's (about 300 at the moment, mainly just to piss people off looking for free wifi) and then "protect" the the real one with WEP so people can have a go if they want and waste some time. Then I just firewall everything off and only allow VPN traffic.

Edited by m3747r0n

As far as encryption, I use WPA-PSK. I've disabled SSID broadcast and I use MAC filtering to prevent the random drive association.

This is all overkill though. I live out in the country, and my neighbors haven't learned about WIFI yet :P.

But I think thats an unfair vote. :( I have 2... one "unsecured" with a SSID called Linksys lol :blaster: :skull: and then my main :)

I don't use wifi at home,but i think wpa-psk and using mac filtering is the best option.

And changing your wpa key every 2-3 days isnt so bad too.

c

haha....wep for me..why ? because I know that about 95% of the people in this world don't know how to crack it. But, if they can i'd be glad to share my internet connection ;-)

haha....wep for me..why ? because I know that about 95% of the people in this world don't know how to crack it. But, if they can i'd be glad to share my internet connection ;-)

and all your packets?

I don't use wifi at home,but i think wpa-psk and using mac filtering is the best option.

And changing your wpa key every 2-3 days isnt so bad too.

c

Sniffing and spoofing a mac address is so easy that filtering is pointless. Changing the wpa key every 2-3 would be a hugeee pain in the ass.

I'm using wpa-psk right now. I tried going through the radius server approach one night, but I was drinking and it didnt work out soo well. Its on my tech for the sake of tech todo list though.

Edited by Lord Wud

why would you secure your own wifi all the time? i would just leave it open and pwn everyones traffic that uses it. then maybe send them and email from themselves telling them to keep the fuck off my lan.

I would be paranoid to have an unsecured wireless access point. What if someone stumbles upon it and uses it for credit card fraud or downloading illegal material? I wouldn't want to be involved in that.

I don't have it encrypted and when mines down (if I don't feel like fixing it right away or don't have time) I use my neighbors wireless. (WEP encryption :)). I may encrypt mine before I go to college, not sure yet.

If I ever do, would probably be WEP (I know, If I'm gonna do it I should do it right but) cause only like five people where I live would be able to get through it and they live to far away to justify breaking it.

Edited by Demonic_angel

Currently I use my neighbors unsecured connection for browsing. If I want to play online with my PS3 I'll use a router and Windows ICS to rebroadcast the signal to my PS3. If I need to enter something I consider sensitive I'll wait until I get to work and enter it there.

WPA-PSK, MAC filtering, and SSID broadcasting disabled :)

Well, I'm using OpenBSD 4.3, WEP is supported and WPA/WPA2 is in -CURRENT now, but I use neither.

I use authpf(8), The actual access point appears open to the public, but unless they have an account they're not going anywhere though..

All packets are dropped, with the exception of a secured SSH server on a high port. B) I'm considering a bogus DNS/Apache warning page, perhaps one that "rick rolls" everyone. (I've done it in the past, but morality made me take it down.. wouldn't want some grandmother to freak out when all they did was connect to the wrong AP.)

Edited by BSDfan