Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unregistered

what to use for wireless sniffing?

12 posts in this topic

hi what softwares are available to sniff a particular wireless network, would simply using airodump-ng and air-decap to decrypt the packets work? the problem here is that i can only seem to capture only incomplete fragmented packets, what can i do to ensure that i capture full packets other than going on the network itself and do some arp spoofing?

btw is there a wireless equivalent of wireshark?

Depending on how far you are away from the access point, and if you are running linux, you can run "airtun-ng". airtun-ng places your card in monitor mode at a set channel and creates a virtual interface so that you can use that virtual interface in ethereal, ettercap, an IDS, etc.

The only encryption method that it can currently de-crypt on the fly is wep.

Depending on how far you are away from the access point, and if you are running linux, you can run "airtun-ng". airtun-ng places your card in monitor mode at a set channel and creates a virtual interface so that you can use that virtual interface in ethereal, ettercap, an IDS, etc.

The only encryption method that it can currently de-crypt on the fly is wep.

the only difference between this and airodump-ng is the virtual interface?

but the key thing is will it be able to capture every packet that comes from the ap since when i monitored with airodump-ng, it only gave me incomplete fragmented packets?

Edited by unregistered

Airtun-ng makes an virtual ethernet interface, so it is like cable connection..

airdump-ng dumps packets, not sure about data ones though..

theres a couple of programs that i like to use when im "testing my home networks security" ;) the first one that i use and use the most is netresident+promiswitch. but what you would likely me more interested in is the other program i use, commview for wifi. i would go on and list all the features that you will like but i dont feel like typing that much. it is the last wireless tool you will need. combine it with the WEPKR and WAPKR plugins and its an all in one wireless pwn tool. capture, inject, reconstruct it has a shitload of options that you can completely customize to suit your sniffing needs.

windows can do injection? that's something new to me

btw is there a wireless equivalent of wireshark?

Wireshark.

Seriously, just select your wireless device from the "interfaces" panel; it supports promiscuous / monitor mode and everything.

what wireless card are you using?

dlink dwl-g650

dlink dwl-520 (i think)

intel ipw3945