Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jada64

Leopard 10.5.2

19 posts in this topic

Ok so how would i get that to run on my laptop, and will it even run on it? I have a Gateway MX6453 and i am intrested in dual booting this and vista. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am sure someone here has done it already.

Honestly, if you're going to run os x just buy a fucking macbook. No hackintosh I've even seen has been stable, ran enough software, and/or had support for all the hardware on the machine. Even if you were to get identical hardware to the the actual mac hardware (which you can do almost) the efi patches and other patches that are included in the various OS x86 releases cause all kinds of problems. It's just not worth it unless you want a fairly unstable system that you really can't do all that much with. Not to mention having to constantly keep up with developments to install new patches manually because there are certain patches from apple that will break shit.

Honestly, if you're going to run os x just buy a fucking macbook. No hackintosh I've even seen has been stable, ran enough software, and/or had support for all the hardware on the machine. Even if you were to get identical hardware to the the actual mac hardware (which you can do almost) the efi patches and other patches that are included in the various OS x86 releases cause all kinds of problems. It's just not worth it unless you want a fairly unstable system that you really can't do all that much with. Not to mention having to constantly keep up with developments to install new patches manually because there are certain patches from apple that will break shit.

Thanks for you opinion but I want to get it running on my laptop I have.

I have a Gateway MX6445, which is almost the same as you. This laptop has an AMD processor, which causes even more problems. I have tried following the guide here. They tell people to download the "iATKOS" modified install CD. As you have an AMD processor, which is not officially supported by Apple (they are INTEL Macs), you need additional patches. They say on this guide that such a patch isn't ready yet. However, I found an iATKOS for AMD on mininova, the torrent site they said to get the modified install CD. I downloaded it and tried installing it.

It doesn't work, not enough hardware supported.

When the install CD loads, I suggest you switch to text view (instead of the gray apple with the loading circle) so you can see how many errors show up. If you are patient enough, it will stick on certain places, and you'll think it froze. But it continues loading until you get to the graphical installer. You think this is victory, but it is not, maybe the computer froze, or both my keyboard and touchpad weren't supported, because I couldn't move the mouse or type anything.

I say, abandon the idea. This hardware won't work with OSX. Buy a real mac if you want OSX. Otherwise, you'll have a hard time getting it to work.

Did you disable USB legacy support in the BIOS? I know you have to or the keyboard/mouse wont work

I just sent you a PM.

If you are going to install OS X on a non Apple machine, I recommend the modified ISO, "Leo4allv2". Note that this is illegal, etc, etc.

I just sent you a PM.

If you are going to install OS X on a non Apple machine, I recommend the modified ISO, "Leo4allv2". Note that this is illegal, etc, etc.

Thanks for the PM, i am looking into that. And yes its illegal we all know that, even though it shouldn't be illegal if you buy it you should be able to install the software on the hardware of your choice.

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and I have gotten 99% of all of Leopard's functions to work.

Given, the Vostro is MUCH closer to apple hardware because it has Intel hardware and an nVidia video card which is what Apple uses. My laptop has been 100% stable with OS X and has never crashed. The only thing that doesn't work is the Shutdown function which, really, I don't care about. I even have sleep mode working.

I used the previously mentioned iATKOS installer disk, however since my hardware is different from yours I cannot say if this will work.

I'll give you a great resource to look up hardware compatibilities and such, that you may or may not already know about. osx86project.org

I would recommend searching the forums for someone who has posted a guide for your specific laptop as well as looking up your model number in the wiki's compatibility list which is located here.

Lastly if all else fails, first take a look at the hardware compatibility thread on the forums and if you cannot find a guide why not just try a install and see what happens?

That thread is located here:

10.5.1 HCL Thread

10.5.2 HCL Thread

A last note, remember that OS X can be updated after the install so if there is a positive way to get 10.5.1 working but not with 10.5.2, then it might be worth installing the older version and then working on the upgrade after the install. This is what I had to do.

Yeah it is a fun side project, and would recommend digging into it rather than messing around with a linux install. However I would use this on an alt machine.

Thanks for the PM, i am looking into that. And yes its illegal we all know that, even though it shouldn't be illegal if you buy it you should be able to install the software on the hardware of your choice.

The OS X EULA states that OS X should only be installed on apple hardware. But hey, what are they going to do?

The OS X EULA states that OS X should only be installed on apple hardware. But hey, what are they going to do?

Steve Jobs will prolly cry. Then make a new Ipod that sells for several hundred dollars....

I have gotten this done with the Jas Tiger 10.4.8 cd and I am now trying to get leopard installed with the Leo4allv2 iso. Good Luck! :D

Steve Jobs will prolly cry. Then make a new Ipod that sells for several hundred dollars....

They probably do not want people to install OSX on their PC because:

1) They do not want to loose hardware sales

2) They do not want to provide support for PC hardware other than the one they officially support

3) Control quality

I don't think they would cry if you succeed installing OSX on your PC. As long as it does not bring sales down too much.

Edited by Aghaster

Did you disable USB legacy support in the BIOS? I know you have to or the keyboard/mouse wont work

Hum... I didn't know that. I will try again. Does disabling USB legacy support affects my Windows XP installation?

Hum... I didn't know that. I will try again. Does disabling USB legacy support affects my Windows XP installation?

That i do not know, but if it does, re-enabling it wont exactly be hard, haha

That i do not know, but if it does, re-enabling it wont exactly be hard, haha

I figured that out, but I'd like to know what it does.

I have a question related to the topic...

I put off upgrading to leopard until they had time to work out the bugs... my question is if as part of the upgrade process, the hard disk i formatted (and therefor a backup needed)

I ask mainly because my current backup drive failed and the new ones (two 500GB which will be raided for redundancy) so I have nowhere to back up currently.

Dial Tone, do you mean upgrading from A previous version of OS X to Leopard, or, say, from Leopard 10.5.1 to 10.5.2?

If you mean the second then the hard disk is not formated. I cannot comment on upgrading from an older version (such as Tiger) to a newer version (such as Leopard). However, my guess would be that Apple would not have you format your disk, simply to make it easy for the users of older Macs to upgrades their computers.