Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chaos angel

Linux GUI

8 posts in this topic

What is your favorite gui for linux? (I'm running Ubuntu distro.)

I have only used beryll before, and am wondering if anyone likes anything else better. Also, I have seen some linux desktops with app icons floating on a bar at the bottom, similar to macs. How is this done?

I just installed Debian on an old Pentium II laptop. Even with a non-journalized filesystem, GNOME just d..r..a..g..g..e..d....

I have since become indoctrinated into the wonderful world of Openbox. I am majorly impressed. No clutter, no whooshing icons, no snazzy graphics. Just a nice window manager. Throw fspanel on there for good measure, and you'd never know it's a PII. (Unless you're compiling something, or trying to manage more than two tabs in Firefox, that is....)

Highly recommended. (Although I had to build the latest version from source, and then the ObConf program from source which was more of a pain than it should have been.)

On a beefy machine that can take it, I like regular old KDE. IceWM is also decent, and a bit lighter than KDE/GNOME.

The icons on the bottom are usually AWN (Avant Window Navigator) but there are other options

(see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302570 for a good tutorial)

On my better machines, I like to use Gnome (and if it can handle it Beryl). But on the lightweights i prefer either Xfce or fluxbox depending on just how light it need be.

What is your favorite gui for linux? (I'm running Ubuntu distro.)

I have only used beryll before, and am wondering if anyone likes anything else better. Also, I have seen some linux desktops with app icons floating on a bar at the bottom, similar to macs. How is this done?

XFCE resembles OS X with the icon bar on the bottom -- however, XFCE's bar doesn't work exactly like the dock in OS X -- it's just a place for launching apps.

Personally, I prefer Fluxbox, which is similar to Openbox. It's lightweight, you can make it look good with little trouble, and it doesn't get in my way.

Assuming you meant "Unix/Xorg" window manager, blackbox/fluxbox are nice... and they're under a far more permissive licence.

Remember children, Unix & Xorg existed before Linux.. ;)

I use KDE or Gnome depending what mood i am in, i sometimes use gnome because im still a noob to linux at the moment so it helps me migrate from windows.