Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jelliott7593

Hiding the IP Address

19 posts in this topic

Okay, lets say hypothetically I wanted to connect to a FTP/Mail/Telnet/Finger port and didn't want my IP or MAC being noticed how would I spoof them over a Shell in SuSE Linux. Thanks! :D

Connect through a proxy?

Ok ok, I am a Linux noob don't remind me. How would I go about doing that?

No, it's not a linux thing; it's a network thing. In order to keep the host from being able to see your real IP address, you need to go through an anonymizing proxy. This way, the host can only see the proxy's IP address (although the proxy can see yours, obviously).

Also, not all proxies are created equal. Some will forward your IP on to the host anyway. (Hence the need for an anonymizing one.)

go buy a 'shell account' that supports BNC 'may as well'

No, it's not a linux thing; it's a network thing. In order to keep the host from being able to see your real IP address, you need to go through an anonymizing proxy. This way, the host can only see the proxy's IP address (although the proxy can see yours, obviously).

Also, not all proxies are created equal. Some will forward your IP on to the host anyway. (Hence the need for an anonymizing one.)

So telnet to a proxy server and then go from there? GAH, confusing!

Sounds like you're thinking of a shell account... which could also work (e.g. download what you need from your shell account, then download onto your machine from your shell account).

For proxies, normally your web browser or ftp app will allow you to specify a proxy. Just put the address in there, and it will make the connection through the proxy automatically.

The trick is... finding a good one. :)

finding a good one... i google and hit some of the proxy sites but is there a better way to go about finding a good one?

hm or maybe a way to automate looking. such a pain going through them one at time.

Sounds like you're thinking of a shell account... which could also work (e.g. download what you need from your shell account, then download onto your machine from your shell account).

For proxies, normally your web browser or ftp app will allow you to specify a proxy. Just put the address in there, and it will make the connection through the proxy automatically.

The trick is... finding a good one. :)

Just so were on the same page say if I did this for example:

~> telnet vicim.com 79

(How would I hide my IP address in a Bash or another Linux Terminal)

So I can connect anonymously.

Just so were on the same page say if I did this for example:

~> telnet vicim.com 79

(How would I hide my IP address in a Bash or another Linux Terminal)

So I can connect anonymously.

No, you're not quite getting it.

You need to do some reading up on how proxies work... it's pretty straightforward, but you need to understand the basics first.

There's no real way to "hide" your IP from the machine you're connected to. TCP is a stateful protocol, so the other box needs to know your address in order to maintain the connection. (There are, in truth, ways around that... but nothing extremely practical.)

if you use firefox you could use a Firefox extension called "switchproxy,"

cyb3r-dan thanks! never seen that before

I use switch proxy with Firefox, but it doesn't help find any proxy servers only use preexisting ones. I dont know if this will help you at all but take a look at this post -http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/54/42/ I've tried the program they suggest downloading "Charon" and while it does find a decent list of proxies occasionally they don't last to long. Hope this helps.

if you use firefox you could use a Firefox extension called "switchproxy,"

Thanks, But I am not looking for a Webbrowser proxy. But thanks anyway. Another good proxy for Firefox is Tor + TorButton. :P

Tor: http://www.torproject.org/

Tor Button for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2275

The problem with "public proxy's" that you may find with Google is that you don't know who is operating them. Whats to say that they won't hand over their logs to somebody who is reporting malicious activity coming from them. Proxy servers can also store any login/password information that you may submit while tunneling through them. Also, as stated before, they may just forward your IP, but you can check that by visiting whatismyip.com or something. If you want TRUE anonymity, spoof your MAC address, [ On Linux, thats not hard to find out how to do *HINT:irongeek* ;-) ] and then use somebody elses internet connection (public wifi). If that is not possible then I Guess you could specify the proxy in an ftp gui as stated before but...you are increasing your chances being recognized because your IP is still in the chain somewhere. Telnet is a remote management service that is used...or not used for that matter anymore because it is old, insecure and gay. So don't worry about it.

if you are already using tor then set up tsocks with tor so that you can run stuff through that. It works for telnet, ftp, nmap (to an extent) and other apps. You can also SSH tunnel through tor.

If you want TRUE anonymity, spoof your MAC address, [ On Linux, thats not hard to find out how to do *HINT:irongeek* ;-) ] and then use somebody elses internet connection (public wifi). If that is not possible then I Guess you could specify the proxy in an ftp gui as stated before but...you are increasing your chances being recognized because your IP is still in the chain somewhere. Telnet is a remote management service that is used...or not used for that matter anymore because it is old, insecure and gay. So don't worry about it.

As stated if you're doing something that you truly don't want caught back to you, spoof your mac, connect to a """public""" Wifi... maybe even have that bounce off a few infected machines...

Even if you use a proxy if someone actually wants to find out who you are such as the proper authoritee (FBI+?) you'd be found very quickly. If not through the proxy providers, through your ISP who are more than happy to share the last 6 months to 3 years of logs they kept of your network traffic.

I posted a kewl little tool to automatically hide ur IP a cheap way by auto routing u through proxies :) makes it more simple. "Invisible IP Map"