Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jelliott7593

Securing a SuSE Linux Box.

4 posts in this topic

Currently I have a eMachines running SuSE Linux Desktop 10 Enterprise. And I am still pretty new to the Linux world in general. I was wondering if someone could tell me and instruct on how to make it more secure. I am new so bear with me. I've googled around but its really confusing to me. I currently doing the sink or swim technique making SuSE my primary computer. So, if someone could help me make my box more secure that would be great! Thanks!

suse comes with apparmor, you could try and work that out, it comes with ubuntu too i think, but no one is interested about security so you won't find anything about setting it up lol. i have used suse as my main computer for about 18 months, it's pretty secure by default so don't worry about it. it's really not like running windows were you have to protect everything.

if no one else replies i'll add a few things, i'm having trouble concentrating atm.

Edited by iceni

The most important thing is to not run as root unless you're doing something that requires root. Then switch back as soon as you're done.

Like any OS Make sure you keep your various apps up to date. I havent used suse in a while, but last time I did yast took care of this in a brainless way.

If you're like me and you're always installing something new, playing around for a bit, and moving on. You may want to port scan yourself from time to time to remind yourself about that time you thought it was a good idea to run that server you forgot all about.

There are lots of things that can be done and I am sure people will list lots here. Just a few easy ones to start.

Run chkconfig --list | grep on

See what services you have running and turn off ones that you don't need. For example if you are don't need ftp don't run the service. Named etc..

Change ssh daemon to run on a different port than the standard port 22.

look into iptables, I personally can't write rules for a dam, but google will pull up plenty of resources. There are some applications that help with this too.

Backup key data, if you think your system got compromised you can wipe it clean and restore music, pics, etc....