Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thenotwist

SATA trouble

6 posts in this topic

I'm really having trouble getting my SATA hdd to work.

I hooked it up and everything, but when I boot up WinXP I can't find it anywhere.

The driver for the controller is properly installed. So I thought wtf why doesn't it find it.

I then found the option in the BIOS to enable the controller. But everytime I do so, it doesn't recognize my other IDE devices (2 hdds and a dvd) anymore...

This is really frustrating, and I need the data on that disk! So please help me out :)

Did you check to see if BIOS reconized all your hard drivers after you enabled your controller in it?

Right click on my computer and go to Management. Then click Disk Management and see if the hard drive is listed.

If it is listed then you might need to manually mount it.

Edited by xof7

Did you check to see if BIOS reconized all your hard drivers after you enabled your controller in it?

to add on to this, its possible your enabling sata only and disabling your IDE devices.

Through playing with the BIOS settings I found out why it didn't detect my IDE drives.

When I enable SATA, I can choose which IDE channel to "replace", primary, secondary or both. The default value was both so naturally my 2 other HDDs on the primary channel and my DVD drive on the secondary weren't detected.

I now set it to replace the secondary channel since I don't need my DVD drive that often, but I was wondering if this is normal or if this is some kind of cheap workaround by the mainboard manufacturer and also if there is any way to get it working all together?

I now set it to replace the secondary channel since I don't need my DVD drive that often, but I was wondering if this is normal or if this is some kind of cheap workaround by the mainboard manufacturer and also if there is any way to get it working all together?

Check for BIOS updates -- friend of mine had a similar problem, updated his BIOS, all was right.