Dexter Douglas

Shortwave Radio

19 posts in this topic

I have for years, more AM/FM DXing but some SW/MW/SSB...however recently I have had little time to enjoy it as much as I would like...

I've always found AM DXing fun since I live in a place where I can get both NYC and Chicago AM Stations but nothing compares to listening to the evening news from Radio Havana Cuba.

What type of radio/kit do you use?

I've got a Grunding YB400 PE, it's an awesome little radio.

A Kaito WRX911

WRX911BlueM.jpg

Its an amazing little radio...I've been thinking of picking up more rechargeable batteries for it and keeping it in my backpack, as I'm always on the go anymore.

Very cool,

I think that I'm starting to get to the point where I'm going to get my first tabletop radio. There are a lot of stations that I can hear but I can't understand. I've got a decent outside antenna that connects to the YB but I think that I'm going to need something more beefy to get to the next level, esp with the way SW stations have been disappearing.

Any favorite stations or frequencies?

I still enjoy listening to the BBC World Service, even though it's not sent directly to the US, you can still hear it at 2100UTC at 9525, which is the broadcast to the Caribbean.

I'm usually listening to The Planet: WBCQ on 7415 KHz. It's audible in most of the US. USAF GHFS Common on 11175 KHz. USB is also interesting, and there is always the 75 Meter ham "AM Window" based around 3880/3885 KHz.

Current receiver is a Hammurland HQ-180, soon to be replaced by an R-390A.

hq180.jpg

Edited by Ticom

I'm usually listening to The Planet: WBCQ on 7415 KHz. It's audible in most of the US. USAF GHFS Common on 11175 KHz. USB is also interesting, and there is always the 75 Meter ham "AM Window" based around 3880/3885 KHz.

I have WBCQ in my radio memory. While, I don't get good reception on 11175 I do listen to AFRTS on 7811 USB and I love listening to HAMS in 10m SSB.

Nice rig, if you're going to replace it with the Collins, ever think about selling it?

If you're interested in a nice boatanchor receiver, there are literally tons of them in good operational condition at the Timonium hamfest in MD, and NEAR-Fest in NH. There's also a military radio fest in Gilbert, PA in September sponsored by the MCRA.

Definately... Boatanchors aren't hard to find. Go to hamfests and even put requests on things like Freecycle and you should be able to get them cheap.

Personally, I don't mind having a more modern receiver like a R-5000. Tho my first shortwave receiver was a Hallicrafter SX-71. *That* was a boat anchor.

Things should be livening up on shortwave during the next few years. From what I understand we've passed the solar minimum which means we're in the next 11 year solar cycle. Time to go HF radio shopping I guess. If you haven't thought about getting your ham radio license, this is a good time to do it because the HF bands will be getting better and better for the next few years creating regular openings all the way into the CB(11)/10 Meter range.

-jf

Added this guy to my collection..

41H08VE1P9L._AA280_.jpg

Best shows so far are on...

WBCQ @ 0400 0500 UTC on Sundays..The Hour of Slack..on 7415 Khz

Radio Havana @ 0130 0200 Wednesday & Saturday ..DXers Unlimited..on 6000 & 6180 Khz

My first DXing experience was with an old AM-only transistor Broadmoor radio I'd been given to take apart (it needed a new plug, which I put on). I could only pick up some local stations on some unknown AM frequency (the band selector was messed up).

I recently got my girlfriend's 1934 RCA console radio working well enough to pick up shortwave stations across the world -- I've picked up stuff from Cuba, the Ukraine, Russia, England, and Sweden. It's a massive old all-tube console system, capable of broadcast-band pickup, up to about 15 MHz (all AM of course). The tuning system on it is really cool -- with the tuning control knob pushed in, it tunes a pretty standard ratio (turns of knob to turns of dial), but when you pull the knob out, it engages a lower gear in a small transmission for fine tuning. It's exceptionally clear, for a tube radio that hasn't been recapped in at least 40 years.

I also have a small single-tube battery powered regenerative receiver I built (handwound coils and everything), which picks up pretty well for running on a 45v battery and a single 1T4 vacuum tube. I can pick up stuff from Canada and Sound America -- it operates mostly in the 49 meter band, but I replaced the 20 uuF tuning cap with a 50 uuF, so I get more band coverage in the lower areas (I can just pick up the top of the broadcast band). It's pretty amazing, when you first power up a handmade creation, and actually hear a human voice through a pair of 1920's high-impedance headphones.

I'm considering building a single Compactron (3-tube, if they were individual) receiver with pluggable coils, capable of picking up from the VLF band (250 KHz - 600 KHz) to around 16 MHz. I enjoy tinkering with old tube technology, and regenerative radios, while a little more difficult to operate, are generally more sensitive when picking up distant signals.

My next radio I think will be a homebrew...

Of all the things I have built, a radio has never been one of them, I think it will be fun.

A Kaito WRX911

WRX911BlueM.jpg

Its an amazing little radio...I've been thinking of picking up more rechargeable batteries for it and keeping it in my backpack, as I'm always on the go anymore.

I've been thinking about getting a cheap shortwave radio for a while, and reviews for that one look pretty good. I think I'll finally stop procrastinating.

51D7VCG200L._AA280_.jpg

My new addition..

The Grundig S350DL

I don't think I have ever used a nicer radio..

geez...i have so many ham/shortwave radio lying around. Unfortunetly i live in an apartment with horrid TVI and other electrical noise.

my current radio for shortwave listening :

grundig_sat800.jpg

Edited by Lestan Gregor

i've been lookin at buying one but damnit no cheap ones have SSB!! you need SSB mode! AM gets lame after so long, and i need to brush up on my CW (continuous wave) morse code dit-dah

Ok... so other than the obvious "hamfests" answer... just wondering where you guys who buy radios buy radios? I'm looking to add a little to my collection; buying new may be cost prohibitive for me, so I'm looking for bargains. Ebay? Craigslist? Discount-direct-to-consumer websites??

(Or, if anyone has any gear they aren't using, I'd be happy to take it off your hands....) :)

E-Pay gets expensive. The price you see on a bid is the minimum you can expect to pay. At a hamfest, the price you see is the maximum and you can usually work your way down form there.

The various ham lists you find on qth.net and Yahoogroups are good for finding things, as are the classifieds on qrz.com

You may also be lucky enough to find a small ham/electronics dealership that has used gear at reasonable prices. Ask about this at the local ham club.