Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkGhost

TrueCrypt Problem

5 posts in this topic

I recently leased two VPS servers running on the virtuozzo platform from two separate hosting companies.

first one:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard edition

Service Pack 1

Intel Xeon

512 ram

Second one:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64

Service Pack 2

Intel Xeon

382 ram

When I am trying to install truecrypt 4.3a on any of these servers I am getting 'this driver has been blocked from loading' on both machines, during the installation process. The installation then stops and is unsuccessful.

I have administrator privelages, I disabled Device driver signing verification. I looked at the security policies but didn't see anything out of place (maybe I'm missing something?).

I have read countless microsoft docs but can't find the solution. I am hoping someone else has run into this problem on VPS machines and has a fix.

I also posted for help at the truecrypt forums, but I thinking this may be a server config issue. (I don't want to ask hosting admins to prevent snooping).

Can anyone think of any configs that may need to be changed on a standard VPS provision?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx!

TrueCrypt as in the encryption software? Maybe you encrypted the whole drive including the drivers.

TrueCrypt as in the encryption software? Maybe you encrypted the whole drive including the drivers.

Yes it is an encryption software, but I am not doing any FDE. I just want to create encrypted volumes on the VPS. So no, the drivers themselves are not encrypted.

The problem is I can't install the program because the truecrypt encryption/decryption driver is being blocked during the installation. I think this is because there's a service or policy in the VPS that is preventing the driver from loading.

I am having this same problem with two VPS provisioned from two completely separate hosting companies, so I'm assuming whatever's stopping the driver from loading is probably a part of any typical/standard VPS configuration.

Could you create the encypted volume offline then copy it to the server then use it in traveller mode?

I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555428

and this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....45&SiteID=1

and several more like the last one. Most of those were people just talking about the driver was incompatible and that they had to what for the next release for their software to work. Also saw you posted it on ExpertsExchange and WindowsITPro, so you have probably already seen these.

I'd suggest posting it to the TrueCrypt Forum.

Hope you get an answer there.

Uncue