cypress

get US gov't to pay for college

18 posts in this topic

I am 99% sure that on one of the episodes of BRR there was talk about a program from the US government which would pay for you to go to college as long as you work for them for a set number of years after that. I cannot remember what episode or what the program was called for the life of me, however, it sounds like something I would like to do. Do any of you remember the name or know the episode?

Thanks

no, i remember what you are talking about. that was an older episode, and i remember you needed perfect SAT scores to be considered. but the agency escapes me right now

I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is Job Corps. If so, you might want to check to see if that's the sort of environment you'd thrive in. You might feel awkward if you're not comfortable around urban types in many of the locations, from what I've heard. I've known some people who went in. Many hated it, a few loved it, but few were really neutral. Either way it appears to be somewhat life-changing in whichever direction.

/ab

Edited by Abhayaa

I am not sure about BRR, but at last year's DefCon there was a presentation, "Meet the Fed", where they did talk about this. The DefCon website archives should have the information.

It's easy, it's called the Armed Forces. Join up and they give you $40,000/year for college after you put in a number of years. This is by far nothing new, the GI Bill has been around for ages.

preatty much every major branch of the U.S. government has a program where you work for them and they pay for your college.

and like Abhayaa said there is always job corps, but you have to complete at least one of their vocations before they will let you into the ACT program (college).

Edited by keiner

Naw, it wasn't the Armed Forces as I would definitely not be interested if that were true.

The NSA?

Yea, I think it was with the NSA... I am pretty sure they were talking about information security degrees or something of that sort.

OK, I think i found it.... I think it was the Stokes National Scholarship Program. Here is the url: http://www.nsa.gov/careers/students_4.cfm?#stokes

no, i remember what you are talking about. that was an older episode, and i remember you needed perfect SAT scores to be considered. but the agency escapes me right now

They do not want a perfect SAT score. They want a 1600, but now the SAT is out of 2400, so the requierment is really not that high at all.

Edited by cypress

I'm a bit confused... Why would you be okay with working with the NSA but not the armed forces?

I'm a bit confused... Why would you be okay with working with the NSA but not the armed forces?

Probably out of ignorance.

FYI, 1600 used to be a perfect SAT score.

I remember researching that scholarship (going to be heading off to college in under a year), and it really wasn't that good of a gig in my opinion.

They ended up paying full tuition and housing, while you worked for the NSA under a internship. Then, once you were out, you had to work 1.5 years for each year they paid you through. In the end, you would end up working for the NSA for 10 years (4 while in college, 6 while out of it) and by that time, you would probably just stay there because of benefits etc...

I don't know, I like to think of my life to be a little more open. Having free school isn't worth 10 years of my life contracted to the government.

Government jobs come with a variety of perks, but it's kind of important to figure out what level of involvement or committment you're willing to take. However, a LOT of jobs at entry level will offer you at least partial tuition. In healthcare, which is where I'm working (as one of my jobs) for now, I could presumably take courses on a wide vareity of subjects and get partial tuition if they were outside the scope of what I'm doing, OR, full tuition depending on the course.

In research, certain departments will pay for certification in a really wide number of subjects. If I could prove that it would help me to learn another languague to assist in recruitment, they would pay for it. Basically, what I'm driving at is that the USG isn't the only agency to give those sort of extra perks and they should be dealbreakers.

I'm pretty sure all the defense/law enforcement related agencies have student programs like this. Just go directly to their website(s) and look for student opportunities. If you go to http://www.intelligence.gov they've got a bunch of links there.

There is another program out there that will pay for school but you do not need to work for the gov.

I do not know what it is called but I was given a phone call by someone (name withheld) that asked a few questions about me and my computer security and hacking experiences. I was held back on some answers and then after a wile told him a lot more then he barged for. He told me that the gov. would be interested in paying for my schooling. I asked him why would they want to do that. He replied, because you are part of a changing world and with the rising amount of black-hat hackers out there, there needs to be more people that can secure networks, and make people feel better about using computers. I asked how he got my phone number and he said I am the government... No one of my co-workers recommended you to me and I decided to talk to you when I had some free time. I told him I would look into it and we have keep in contact.

Now you do need to work over the summer for the government until you get out of school (securing their networks, and you get paid a hefty amount). Now this is just one program that I have been offered but I am sure there are many like it out there.

Network security is the new .com boom. I just hope it does not stop being the .com boom.

Just a little incite on a program that is offered, I think to everyone.

Probably out of ignorance.

FYI, 1600 used to be a perfect SAT score.

I don't know how to say it without sounding like a mean asshole so here it is : Or cowardice. It could be not knowing, but it is usually one or the other.

Sometimes people who have no problem with killing and shadow operations and all aspects of warfare just can't shoot people in the head themselves. It's OK. Depending on who you ask, that is called sanity, normalcy, or cowardice. I never had any problem doing the shooting myself, but it isn't for everyone.

The point was if you work for the NSA, you be cracking encryption and other cool things like that. You crack it, and the Follow Me boys kick in the door and shoot people. Infantry ain't cops. Just figured in case you didn't know that outright, someone should be up front with you.

Also, the title should be "Get the US taxpayers to pay for college" Government can't pay for anything. :P