Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phyburn

SMS Spam

21 posts in this topic

I had a question on SMS spam, I was wondering how such companies implement such spam methods. It doesn't seem logical that they would get a cell phone then start sending SMS spam to everyone. I have heard they use emails. Somehow each cellphone number has a email address corresponding to there cell phone number. Anyone have any information on this if so please share it with me =)

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.

Intresting... I had never got the SPAM sms or some advertise

sms.I got only sms from my provaider(maybe in your country different)

but there are some Free sms sending services on the net. But ussualy

they let you send only few sms. That services use SMTP if i remmember.

Many of them don't provide free sms to lithuania :(

Edited by sys_tracer

Yeah it would most likely be done by using email. Think of it like email spam. You just set up a mass mailing and blast away at the email address tied to cell phones for email-to-sms messages.

i would think that they would use one of the sms sites, that allow you to send free sms messages with maybe a script. Just make a file of all the numbers

Google it

With Verizon, I can send email as SMS by sending e-mail to <INSERT YOUR CELL NUMBER HERE>@vzwpics.com . You can also get a 'normal' e-mail address for your phone. I think I got it by signing up at vtext.com. There is a thread over at Howard Forums that explains Verizon's system here. Verizon's online text messaging page can be found at www.vtext.com

-light

Google it

The reason I ask her because when you search google the most you come up with is matter to stop SMS spam, and information on fraudulent SMS messages etc. I just wanted to see if I could view this from a attackers point of view.

The reason I ask her because when you search google the most you come up with is matter to stop SMS spam, and information on fraudulent SMS messages etc. I just wanted to see if I could view this from a attackers point of view.

Natas is a her?

lol

Edited by xof7

No.

If you Google a few different things, like SMS email, email sms, sms provider email etc etc, all related terms to what your interested in, you come up with a bunch of results that show all the providers email addresses.

No.

If you Google a few different things, like SMS email, email sms, sms provider email etc etc, all related terms to what your interested in, you come up with a bunch of results that show all the providers email addresses.

Ah wow thanks, found some stuff.

Edited by phyburn

Nextel has the email as :

"(your 10-digit number)@messaging.nextel.com" or something like that.

Something in the contract you sign when you get the phone says something allowing spam...

yeah.

i have sprint and its

<mobile number>@sprintpcs.com

another thing i found out is that even if you call someone on the sprint network, if they dont have sprint pcs then it charges it as a normal call rather than a free one.

i made plenty of international calls and other long distance calls to sprint phones and found that one out.

and a cell phone bill over a thousand dollars.

Just today I got a SMS spam from Coke giving me 1000 "free" icoke.ca points. Fucking pissed me off. I wonder how they got my number? Maybe the person who had my # before me "signed up" (I get wrong # calls once and a while, its a pay per min phone). Anyways, they gave me the option to opt out but that still cost me a txt msg, and I can only see this getting worse.

Just today I got a SMS spam from Coke giving me 1000 "free" icoke.ca points. Fucking pissed me off. I wonder how they got my number? Maybe the person who had my # before me "signed up" (I get wrong # calls once and a while, its a pay per min phone). Anyways, they gave me the option to opt out but that still cost me a txt msg, and I can only see this getting worse.

well this has happened to me too.

see, if you ever use sms to do any sort of sweepstakes or voting or ordering ringtones, they keep your number. and any sort of shady third party company might sell your number to others.

sms spam is getting to be like email spam.

text a bad number and your flooded with stupid meesages.

The corporate sms spams you get are usually sent out by people who have smpp binds with a carrier although this kind of spam is regulated somewhat considering if its abused the carrier will just cut the vpn circuit.

Email is a god awful way to send sms in bulk... but this depends on the carrier... Mind you most carriers have rules for blocking real spam. A common rule is to only allow one message to be delivered to 100 users in 60 secs. If this is exceeded the originator will be blacklisted... The rule set varies from carrier to carrier and can even be different depending on how an account is setup...

an interesting side note, i read the lasest installment of the telcom informer in 2600 and its about this very thing.

its actually rediculous how unregulaed things are.

you can send premium texts to ask if someone wants a subscription and even if they decline its still expensive.

What I find more interesting are the premium sms pyramid scheme commercials...

Text the answer to the following puzzle to ____ in the next minute and you could win 1000 dollars.

and then the word is puzzle is something like...

T_DAY (fill in the blank).

Each sms entry costs a dollar to the sender and there is only one winner. They play the add nationwide late night and actually make a lot of money this way...

I wouldn't call that a "pyramid scheme". It sounds a lot like a lottery, in fact.

I wouldn't call that a "pyramid scheme". It sounds a lot like a lottery, in fact.

To avoid being classified as a lottery, all contests and sweepstakes (in the USA at least) usually have a way to enter for free or without purchasing a product. Check the fine print and you should see it.

I hate phone companies so much. Their charges are rediculous. Try arguing with sprint over getting sms messages that cost 50 cents just to get. Sprint is just terrible all around but i cant change my provider for the next two years.