Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
t3st.s3t

AT&T payphones

9 posts in this topic

With a cheesy white skin applied over the old SBC logos, you have a COCOT. This has only happened to a few BOCOTS in the area. It is common to see them at Citco gas stations but I have seen them in other locations.

Edited by t3st.s3t

With a cheesy white skin applied over the old SBC logos, you have a COCOT. This has only happened to a few BOCOTS in the area. It is common to see them at Citco gas stations but I have seen them in other locations.

Sprint actually did the same thing in Rhode Island but they were transforming Verizon Hybrids into Sprint COCOTS. i remember all of these new COCOTS being at dunkin donuts. they still had the same Phone1 handset but the mouthpiece was now muted. and it obviously would no longer would route me through ACTS from the operator or 411 (when that worked last year). The transformation was just as bad looking as those COCOTS in ohio.

I've been wondering what the deal was in former SBC territory as far as the payphones go. So they're just starting to put the AT&T logos on I take it. So then, are you saying they never replaced the entire payphones, but instead implemented firmware in them? Because it's possible that the entire payphones were replaced with COCOTs. Does the body of the payphones look different (other than the logos)?

Also, I noticed you said this on your page:

Here are a couple of things that I noticed on these phones:

-You do not get a local operator when you dial 0.

-When dialing a PIC code the keypad is disabled but the receiver is not muted.

-Incoming calls are still accepted. In this case the number is 330-686-6757.

That's really cool that you're looking into all of the dialing patterns and their responses. So you WERE able to get an operator with 0 before? If so, did you hear a recorded message and/or modem dialing before the call connected?

About the "PIC codes" (CAC codes), that's nothing new. Most COCOTs disable the keypad after using a CAC or dialing 0. You have to use a tone dialer afterwards. This was a pain in the ass when 10-10-288-0 op-diverting used to work on payphone lines. And yeah it's always good to find payphones that accept incoming calls. Keep that shit up I'm interested in knowing more!

Sprint actually did the same thing in Rhode Island but they were transforming Verizon Hybrids into Sprint COCOTS. i remember all of these new COCOTS being at dunkin donuts. they still had the same Phone1 handset but the mouthpiece was now muted. and it obviously would no longer would route me through ACTS from the operator or 411 (when that worked last year). The transformation was just as bad looking as those COCOTS in ohio.

Are you sure those Verizon payphones were being transformed into Sprint COCOTs? Because when I was looking at them in the area, the bodies of those COCOTs looked entirely different than the ones Verizon has. I think it's more probable that the Verizon payphones were simply replaced by the COCOTs altogether. Especially because a lot of COCOTs have the same Phone1 logo on them and use their international service.

I've been wondering what the deal was in former SBC territory as far as the payphones go. So they're just starting to put the AT&T logos on I take it. So then, are you saying they never replaced the entire payphones, but instead implemented firmware in them? Because it's possible that the entire payphones were replaced with COCOTs. Does the body of the payphones look different (other than the logos)?

You are correct, they never replaced the payphones. They just implemented new firmware. I know for a fact that these phones were property of AT&T/SBC/Ameritech/Ohio Bell. I've attached a picture that highlights proof that these are former BOCOTS:

1. The applied increase volume sticker is applied over the old Ameritech logo.

2. The Mexico rate sticker is applied over the old Ohio Bell coin vault door.

These are phones that were purchased by a COCOT (Pacific Telemanagement Services) from At&t and kept in place. From a business aspect it is the simplest explanation. Also, they are the same numbers that were assigned to the phones while they were BOCOTS (of the ones that I have checked).

Edited by t3st.s3t

I've got the same thing going on here. I've noticed alot of these already. Up here in the 440 they put a few more phone back. I'll get my photo's off my phone. Yes royal we where able to get a local operator before the switchover. They had a short recording before the op came on the line. On some cocots you would hear a modem dial not the bocot phones.

One nice thing about Intellicall COCOTs, which are incredibly common down here, largely thanks to Sprint, will let you get the real local operator by dialing *0, instead of dialing it's bullshit wanna-be-telecom carrier. Anyway, it's a bit strange to be watching this from a place where there is absolutely no ACTS, or even any former Bell System territory for about fifty miles out or so. Sprint Local discontinued pretty much all ACTS service around 1993, when United/Central/Carolina Telephone were all merged and became Sprint. All the sudden, though, Sprint had this massive amount of Nortel Centurions just lying around that they bought ten or twenty years earlier. Instead of just selling them off, Sprint decided it'd be nice to still make money off of them, so in the case of my town, and many others, they bought a bulk supply of Intellicall COCOT boards. It's a shame, too, because Embarq has some really awesome switches out there, and you don't get to hear much from them with COCOTs deciding when it should take over the call, or what it should let you dial. Some more urban environments seened to have gone entirely over to Milleniums by now, but I don't expect them to blanket the city where I live, especially since they're already ripping payphones out :( .

southwestern bell territory,

For the most part all the ones I have seen here appear to be hybrids.

ext****r not known.

However you do get an AT&T operator and they do place calls for you.

You do get acts prompts from 411 to connect calls.

LD calls route just like the verizon hybrids in boston.

Ofcourse if it was just an ACTS, LD calls would not go thru. These your hear the buffer and they do go thru.

In case you were wondering from the perspective of the network.

southwestern bell territory,

For the most part all the ones I have seen here appear to be hybrids.

ext****r not known.

However you do get an AT&T operator and they do place calls for you.

You do get acts prompts from 411 to connect calls.

LD calls route just like the verizon hybrids in boston.

Ofcourse if it was just an ACTS, LD calls would not go thru. These your hear the buffer and they do go thru.

In case you were wondering from the perspective of the network.

Watch what you say dude. Point is it supports ACTS, including through 411 directory assistance.