Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipun_mohta

Uhaarc?

5 posts in this topic

I heard abt a compression software that compresses 30 MB files to 6-10 MB. Is there any software like this? I got the name as uhaarc. But, when I searched for anything related to it. I didnt find anything imp. through google. Maybe I've got the wrong name. Do any of u know of a s/w like dis?

You're thinking of UHARC.

Understand that the amount you'll be able to compress something is really dependent on the type of repetition/patterns associated with a file. For that reason, text can be compressed by 70% (or more), but movies/music only by 1% (or less.) What warez groups that released game RIPs used to do, to compress the game into as small a space as possible (thus RIPs), was to turn very large lossless files (BMP/WAV/etc.) files into small lossy files (JPG/MP3/etc.) during compression - and to, upon decompression, re-convert them into the large lossy file format. There was that and of course the whole jettisoning of AVIs and non-essential files.

Yes, there's no magic bullet here. The best accessible (as in good software exists for it) compression software I know would be 7zip or rar. You probably won't find anything much better than that, maybe a few percentage points better (like rzip maybe) but nothing major. If there were some magical compression algorithm out there that gave you an extra 20%, popular programs like winzip, winrar or 7zip would be using it.