Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unity

Verizon payphones in Bellsouth territory

21 posts in this topic

Hmm this is pretty interesting, a Verizon Pay Phone in BellSouth territory: +1(919)790-8512

its your average Verizon dumb phone, Verizon logos on enclosure, '69 Bell System logo on the front of the phone...et cetera

It's out front of a McDonalds off Route 1 in Raleigh NC

anyone know why there would be a Verizon PayPhone right in the middle of BellSouth land and only a few minutes up the road from the BellSouth Central Office that takes care of that area?

Off of route 1? Where its still route 1 or where its capital blvd? Cross street for the mickey d's?

Off of route 1? Where its still route 1 or where its capital blvd? Cross street for the mickey d's?

well it's capital blvd there, and its right before the change to 401 and its in the McDonalds parking lot

I'll have pictures tomorrow, i tried today but i had some business downtown and didn't have timme to stop >_<

Edited by TelcoBob

well, i know most McDonalds down here around atlanta that have payphones have qwest payphones (most of them have been sold off to independant companies recently). Is this payphone newly installed, or has it beent here for a long time. Telcobob, you'll have to show me this thing when i get into town. sounds like a fun photo op/phreak adventure.

most importantly, can i redbox it? :P

well, i know most McDonalds down here around atlanta that have payphones have qwest payphones (most of them have been sold off to independant companies recently). Is this payphone newly installed, or has it beent here for a long time. Telcobob, you'll have to show me this thing when i get into town. sounds like a fun photo op/phreak adventure.

most importantly, can i redbox it? :P

well i think the phone is abbout a year or two old, but i really have no clue. i just though this was neat being it was the only non-cocot CO owned payphone that i've seen in the city of Raleigh. I'll definatly take you to it, it's only a minute from the CC^2 hotel <3

are you sure that it's not a cocot? we have those cocot verizon phones here in my area. the only real verizon phones around akron, canton, or cleveland are in true verizon territory. the verizon cocots are found at sheetz gas stations, speedway gas stations, and sometimes off by themselves. i attached a picture of one located in kent ohio. 330-677-5912

maybe i am mistaken, i'll take another look at it today and i'll get the picture tonight

I've seen Verizon COCOTs at a couple Shell gas stations in the Kansas City, KS area.

The Raleigh payphone is infact a COCOT. I'd say it's fairly new, as it's firmware version isn't identifiable with Protel's handy guide. Calling it reveals that the firmware version is DD4922.

The Raleigh payphone is infact a COCOT. I'd say it's fairly new, as it's firmware version isn't identifiable with Protel's handy guide. Calling it reveals that the firmware version is DD4922.

Heh that makes much more since, but how could you tell what firmware version by calling it?

Heh that makes much more since, but how could you tell what firmware version by calling it?

Isn't that mickey d's right by a sheetz?

Used to live there, don't remember.

TelcoBob, there are codes you can enter on the phone that tell you that sort of information...I don't remember them offhand, though. :S I think thoughtphreaker knows them offhand though, ask him.

It's fairly simple. Just dial into it with your modem. The data it gives you is separated by asterisks. This will report any conditions it may have (look in the manual for error codes), the firmware version, the number it's initialized to, and other things.

EDIT: The firmware version will start with DD in most cases, but in some, it will start with CA, CD, BC, or DA, indicating extremely old hardware, firmware, or both. After the two letters, it will have four digits indicating the phone's hardware and the firmware series. More details can be found at Protel's website under the category of Tech Bulletins, at the support menu.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

I thought there was a code you could enter on the phone to tell you the firmware version... :S

*noob*

Edited by unity

I thought there was a code you could enter on the phone to tell you the firmware version... :S

*noob*

Dial *#62. The phone should say "Dollar Dollar" and then 10 more numbers. The first 4 numbers are the most important, they are the major version number. The rest are minor version numbers.

*noob*

Dial *#62. The phone should say "Dollar Dollar" and then 10 more numbers. The first 4 numbers are the most important, they are the major version number. The rest are minor version numbers.

When you do, I reccomend keeping a pencil and paper handy, as the firmware version is read off very fast and is usually pretty easy to forget, as demonstrated in this recording.

are you sure that it's not a cocot? we have those cocot verizon phones here in my area. the only real verizon phones around akron, canton, or cleveland are in true verizon territory. the verizon cocots are found at sheetz gas stations, speedway gas stations, and sometimes off by themselves. i attached a picture of one located in kent ohio. 330-677-5912

Cleveland is SBC/AT&T territory. West of cleveland is verizon territory. How far are you from kent? I'm only about an hour away myself.

Cleveland is SBC/AT&T territory. West of cleveland is verizon territory. How far are you from kent? I'm only about an hour away myself.

i live about 5 minutes from kent.

Hmm this is pretty interesting, a Verizon Pay Phone in BellSouth territory: +1(919)790-8512

its your average Verizon dumb phone, Verizon logos on enclosure, '69 Bell System logo on the front of the phone...et cetera

It's out front of a McDonalds off Route 1 in Raleigh NC

anyone know why there would be a Verizon PayPhone right in the middle of BellSouth land and only a few minutes up the road from the BellSouth Central Office that takes care of that area?

Verizon has contracts with the gas station "7 eleven" and mcdonalds and someother companies as well, to have their phones at their establishments.

I know the ones in qwest territory are cocots, not hybrids. Me saying cocot meaning that it is all software no acts involved what so ever unlike in new england, they are hybrids for the most part meaning goes thru acts with regional and local calling and thru a tollfree extender for LD calls. But as most know, they also have a straight ACTS payphones in vz territory that doesnt use any tollfree extender.

I see the Verizon payphones in Akron at locations, here in AT&T territory.

Reminds me of this payphone with an identity crisis I found outside of a McDonalds in Virginia near Interstate 77, two years ago.

t404070107414105li.th.jpg

t404070107430501is.th.jpg