bebe

Help Me Please!

38 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm looking for some expertise to help resolve a problem I am having with my phone line. I'm actually an IT professional, but know very little about this area.

So...since last week my phone line has been cutting out, just at night around 11 pm or so. A technician was out last week and could not find a problem, but I continue to have no dial tone through most of the night. By morning everything is fine.

Last Thursday night I tried calling my number while this was going on. A male voice said hello, and quickly hung up. Someone tried to call me yesterday very early in the morning, and said it sounded like someone picked up and was listening...then hung up.

I have a technician coming back today, but it sounds like they don't have an idea of what is going on. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

BeBe

If anything, you're a victim of stupid idiot kids, not phone phreaks.

it sounds to me like you might be getting plagued by the rare and elusive box kiddie. the best idea i can come up with would be to put a lock on your TNI, if possible.

oh noes, return of the omghax box kiddies. By the way ponyboy, good phrase :D

oh noes, return of the omghax box kiddies. By the way ponyboy, good phrase :D

I think I coined the phrase "box kiddies" at least three years ago :)

I should note that I'm in an apartment building that's right next to a college. There are a few students in the building, and a student residence right next to me. I'm also a college teacher, so may be a prime target!

So yes, likely stupid kids.

The technician tested my line today and found no problems. :(

call the technician out there, give him a padlock and a key, and tell him to secure the phone box properly. (damn phone companies and thier "security bolts")

call the technician out there, give him a padlock and a key, and tell him to secure the phone box properly. (damn phone companies and thier "security bolts")

And not a Master padlock - use a real padlock, like at the very least the highest-security Brinks you can buy, but preferably a Best or a Medeco :)

**devil's advocate**

But the best you can hope for in that is that it will discourage them from your box and they will move on to another unsecured box. Some of the TNI's only have a metal bit that the padlock can slip into....mabye a 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick. Nothing a good pair of wirecutters couldn't take care of.

**devil's advocate**

But the best you can hope for in that is that it will discourage them from your box and they will move on to another unsecured box. Some of the TNI's only have a metal bit that the padlock can slip into....mabye a 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick. Nothing a good pair of wirecutters couldn't take care of.

Well sure. but i can pick a Master padlock in like ten seconds; a decent lock makes the barrier to undetectability a lot higher.

**devil's advocate**

Well sure. but i can pick a Master padlock in like ten seconds; a decent lock makes the barrier to undetectability a lot higher.

Oh, I didn't mean picking it...I meant just cut the thin bit of metal. I've done it many times for legit reasons. Anyhow...any other technician that needs into that TNI is going to do the same thing. I wouldn't dream of wasting my time trying to find the customer who owns that padlock when they are locking me out of my own equipment, especially when I have a job to do.

Thanks so much for the info! I just talked to one of my neighbours who has noticed the phone box doors wide open on occasion, and sure enough it's only secured with some weak looking bolts.

My neighbour had also complained of problems with her line last week, and the technician offered no help but to test the line. I imagine they are fully aware of what the issue is, and just aren't doing anything about it.

Edited by BeBe

Put up a real (or fake) security camera monitoring the box. That combined with a padlock should keep them away.

I wouldn't pick a lock or cut a lock if there was a obvious camera watching.

Actually, I was thinking of running out there with a baseball bat next time it happens. ;)

Honestly, since it only happens at certain times, it sounds like they need physical access for what they are doing. If you notice something wrong, they are most likely "in the act" and *I* would run out and crack some fucking heads. But that is just me, I wouldn't condone anyone else doing that. ;)

Most likely some "box kiddie" is beige boxing or tapping your line, no big deal, unless you conduct some serious or private business over the phone. I also suggest setting up a lock of some sorts or leave a note in your TNI box.

Note should say " Stupid box kiddie, I hope you get electricuted and die. Oh and a big FUCK YOU from binrev.com"

:P Just kidding, but just leave a note to atleast warn the attacker that you are well aware of what he or she is doing and that he/she better stop before you catch them in the act.

P.S. Might I add your a pretty hot IT Professional, if that really is your picture. ^_^

Edited by SUB-S0NIX

if you have a cell phone

You: "Hello police, I've been hearing some strange noises around my windows. I was talking on my house phone and all the sudden my line when dead. I'm scared, I think someone is trying to get into my apartment."

Police are always enough...any self-respecting "box-kiddie"/phone phreak would rather keep from being mistaken as sexual offender.

BTW, the term "box-kiddie"...tisk tisk, some of you are forgeting that most of us began by building a beige box and learning how to use it...

Edited by regret

I left a note that the box is now under video surveillance, and that evidence of tampering will be handed over to the police.

That's really my picture, so thanks. Sorry if that breaks any stereotypes you may have.

And what's with the "Will HE break 10 posts?" under my pic? lol

P.S. Might I add your a pretty hot IT Professional, if that really is your picture. ^_^

It's just a comment set by the board, it will change over time as you post more on the boards.

Yeah, I get that. It just could be more gender inclusive. ;)

It's just a comment set by the board, it will change over time as you post more on the boards.

Just keep posting and it will change. You only have a few more to go. :D

i'm suprised that no one in these forums has offered to come over to protect you from these evil box kiddies. i guess there is no chivalry around here. :D

I couldn't even get the technician to do anything for me!

I couldn't even get the technician to do anything for me!

We're not technicians...we actually care most of the time.

Edited by regret