RightCoast

Ringtone adults can't hear

75 posts in this topic

I'm 24, and I can hear this - its very loud even at low volume - in other rooms of the house. My fiance is only slightly older and she is annoyed by it.

My cat is now trying to figure out wtf is going on, and has come into the computer area of the living room to figure it out.

Edited by feverdream

I'm 24, and I can hear this - its very loud even at low volume - in other rooms of the house.

I can't hear it either. This makes me sad :( Too many techno shows..

I am 15, and I can hear the tone easily at even a low volume.

I can also tell when a CRT TV is on (without being in the room) and can hear it as it fires up.

im 15 and it makes me feel nausated

my little brother who is 7 can here it just fine no pain

i'de hate to have that as my ringer

i'm considered fairly hard of hearing for the most part (very bad hearing in my left ear). I can hear this thing crystal clear. not so bad, but quite annoying.

I am 15, and I can hear the tone easily at even a low volume.

I can also tell when a CRT TV is on (without being in the room) and can hear it as it fires up.

I can also hear when tube tvs come on. My mom leaves the tv on and doesn't know it because the display is black and there is no sound. I come in the room and know instantly that it is on. It's weird i didn't think anyone else could hear that, it really annoys me.

You know, I remember being able to hear that, and don't remember waking up one day thinking I couldn't. I don't think I can now though. I will check to see, but am pretty sure I can't hear that ultrasonic sound anymore. I don't remember hearing that CRT sound for a while now at least.

hearing CRT is easy i just figured to most people it becomes a background noise like a realy turned down radio in the car

I just checked out the TV, and I can still hear that sound fine. \o/

I found all kinds of shit out while reading about this whole thing I never really thought about before. If the ear were any more sensitive than it is it would detect random movements of air molecules. That's badass. But it turns out it isn't really from getting old. Sudanese people that live without much noise were found to have no presbycusis.

To many shows probably did me in. :lol:

I was just doing a little background research and it appears that, as rbcp alluded, "Teen Buzz" was (rather ironically) hijacked from a product originally designed by Compound Security Systems and marketed as the Mosquito ultrasonic teenage deterrent!

They've covered this story on their news page but there's another twist (I LOVE this), this is on the homepage at the moment:

Mosquito TM Ring-tones and Wallpaper

The Authentic Mosquito ring tone and wallpaper will be available within the next few days.

Please check back, or email simon@compoundsecurity.co.uk to be advised when the tone etc. is available for download. Thank you

Smooooooth!

hmm, im seventeen and couldnt hear anything. nor could my 15yo brother. perhaps a genetic thing?

I'm 22 and that noise just drove me nuts. My head is actually hurting from it. I can't believe someone would do this to themselves...

I can hear, so can my brother, and so can my 46 year old parents.

Heres an odd one.

Been playing drums for 13 years now.

Can hear it fine!

Awesome find though. Made my day!

I can hear, so can my brother, and so can my 46 year old parents.

I suggest you try that experiment again, this time blind. Like, don't tell them you are playing the tone, and try to make sure they are not over your shoulder. Many people that are in their 20's and 30's can hear it (feel it really) from less than a yard away. In their 40's though? They are really bucking the trends. Check the graph I liked to, which was pretty much the same as a few others I saw while looking at this. Your father in particular probably (just going by odds) isn't hearing this as well as he says. He would have to have less hearing attenuation your average 30 year old. Not impossible by any means, but surely the exception to the rule.

The problem with this sound is that it's beyond the capabilities of some sound equipment. You can't really know if you can hear it, unless the sound is within the frequency envelope of your speakers/headphones.

Controlled test:

I'm 18, and an audiophile. My mother is in her 50's. My father is in his 50's.

Using my Koss pro-4 aat's (Designed frequency range of 10hz to 25,000hz), I can hear it just fine, and it made me throw up non stop for five minutes. My mom can't, even on max volume, wearing them. Neither can my dad.

Unplugging my headphones and using my shitty laptop speakers, the noise quiets quite a bit, the tone comes out around 18khz, and my mom and dad can now hear the noise. No affects on me, just really annoying.

OH, and, the CRT noise drives me crazy. I can also hear power going through the walls, wherever I go. It sucks ass, and is one of the explanations for tinnitus, although there are many different reasons.

My brother's dog flipped out when I played that on my cell phone.

I'm 29 and when the volume is low, i can't hear anything at all. The girl here is 24 and she heard it. I can only hear something when the volume is about halfway on this lappy, but it sounds like noise with a high pitched tone, not unlike the buzz when a tube TV gets turned on. Fuck, I'm glad I can't hear annoying high pitched sounds.

I am 16 and can only hear the noise with the volume all the way up...

I'm 13 and I obviously heard it fine.

Ima test it on my parents when they get home :\

I'm 28, with my head phones plugged in I can hear it with my volume half way up. When I unplug them and turn my volume all the way up I don't hear anything. My ears ring and I get one hell of a head ache.

I could hear it, as could my 60 year old dad.

I am 17 and I can hear it as clear as day from about 15-20 ft away.

Here is a small bit on presbycusis...

Presbycusis begins after age 20 but is usually significant only in persons over 65. Men are affected more often and more severely than women. Stiffening of the basilar membrane and deterioration of the hair cells, stria vascularis, ganglion cells, and cochlear nuclei may play a role in pathogenesis, and presbycusis appears to be related in part to noise exposure. It first affects the highest frequencies (18 to 20 kHz) and gradually affects the lower frequencies; it usually begins to affect the 4- to 8-kHz range by age 55 to 65, although variation is considerable. Some persons are severely handicapped by age 60, and some are essentially untouched at age 90. The loss of high-frequency hearing makes discrimination of speech particularly difficult. Thus, many persons who have this type of loss have difficulty understanding conversation, particularly when background noise is present, and complain that others mumble.

I"m 51. I played the link. Actually hear two sounds. One is low-frequency trhumming noise. One is very high frequency, almost "crackling" sound. Definitely hear both. Neither are particularly annoying. LMAO. The high frequency screech from my 19" monitor is far more annoying.