Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
verbal

HackerExchange

19 posts in this topic

i have recently contacted LogosX, the head of hackerexchange.com. i expressed my desire to help and well, i'm helping now. it is my intention to make it an even better medium for people in the hacker community to find and communicate with each other. right now, we're in the design and brainstorm phase, so i figure i'd ask you guys what you think. also, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP US. ahem... i mean... if you have time, it would be nice for others to contribute. even if you know nothing, you can still make us coffee and buy us pizza.

here is a feature list that LogosX and i have been throwing around. our philosophy in doing this is to make it a social networking site but geared towards the tech stuff. for example, you wont find a place to list your favorite music, movies, or books. you will never find an entry asking you what your turnoffs are. it is because this is for TECHNICAL STUFF. i do, however, want you to put in your skills, be it programming, designing software, picking locks, phreaking, or social engineering (aka lying and manipulation).

let me know what you guys think and email me directly (verbal@gmail.com/smashedstacks.net) if you have questions, comments, or want to actually help with this thing. tyvm for listening.

+ Personal Profile

- nick

- country

- images

- skills and areas of interest

- affliations

- technical books

- links

- contact (im, irc, etc)

- projects

- articles

- presentaions

+ Blog

+ Interest Groups (forum)

+ Friend's List

+ Browse/Search on criteria

+ GUI customizability

+ Education

- degree

- certifications

+ Results from conference war games

Edited by verbal

Sounds like a really good Idea... Update us every once in a while. I would like to help out. B)

Sounds pretty cool but its going to take a lot of work.

Goodluck =p

I don't think your going to get a lot of personal info from most people. I for one wouldn't give out my name or address.

Yeah, but I'd do NPA, county, state, etc ... along with VoIP numbers, projects certs, tfiles and other stuff.

Keep at it Verbal, lemme know if I can help ya out when I talk to you.

EDIT: Decicided not to call you Verbie on the Global Intarweb. Oh wait, oops.

I don't think your going to get a lot of personal info from most people. I for one wouldn't give out my name or address.

Some people may choose to put a P.O. Box instead an address, and some people use their real name instead of a handle. I expect people to give however much information they feel comfertable with.

Sounds good. I would like to help, but I don't know how I could. I can do graphics and some basic Perl/CGI stuff.

Sounds good. I would like to help, but I don't know how I could. I can do graphics and some basic Perl/CGI stuff.

Lets see what you can do. Make some stuff and email it to me.

- nick

this sounds reasonable

- real name

good luck finding people who will give this up

- address

never going to get it.

- country

this seems reasonable

- phone number

maybe, but chances are all the NPAs will be 206 (if you catch my drift)

i assume by this you mean city. that is as far as i (and most everybody else) would be willing to go as far as posting my location online.

don't expect people to jump at the opportunity to list thier names, phone numbers, and addresses along side thier handles.

If you need help with php or mysql just ask.

just to make it clear. i do not expect anyone to put their real name or address or anything like that on there. you put your nick and your area code or something, but tha'ts it. i dont care for your address or your phone number.

Yeah verbal I can do some Web design as I have taken many classes on site creation along with my own knowledge through experience. I dont know the look and feel that you expect, so just let me know what you need me to do.

Alk3

Things are getting lost in the translation of this project...let me clarify...

ALL FIELDS ARE OPTIONAL!

The goal of the project is to answer all of those "is there anyone in ______?" questions and to let people contact each other for projects and meetings. This is basically an online resume and contact manager.

You can give as little or as much information as you want.

Sugestion, have a tiered system, you sign up, you can only see so much info on people, access some forums, some projects, ect. you have 1 full member vouch for you, and you can see more info, get more access to forums and projects. get like 3 or 5 more members to vouch for you, and you can see everything thats up. that would help get rid of problems of the law enforcement people from using it as a drag net.

Sugestion, have a tiered system, you sign up, you can only see so much info on people, access some forums, some projects, ect. you have 1 full member vouch for you, and you can see more info, get more access to forums and projects. get like 3 or 5 more members to vouch for you, and you can see everything thats up. that would help get rid of problems of the law enforcement people from using it as a drag net.

ya, i thought about that a bit and its hard to have that work well. for example, it really only takes 1 person to infitrate because he can grandfather in others who are malicious. when you say "have 1 full member", i assume you mean someone who has had other people vouch for him. this is basically a good idea because you start with n full members of people. say, the people who made the site. then they transfer trust onto people who join and so on and so forth. once you get a few degrees removed, it is easy for someone to be coerced into vouching for someone else. once that happens, you're fucked. that guy can just vouch for whoever he wants. while your plan will keep things going well for a little bit and if the number of members are sufficiently small, but eventually it will get out of hand.

imho, it is better to design a site assuming there will be malicious users and deal with it accordingly.

-verbal

so you make it so you can only vouch for a certian number of people every month. Then when you see a fucknut just ban them and give the person who vouched for them a warning. If they allow another fucknut in ban them too.

Ha fucking ha. Law enforcement using a *binrev* project as a *dragnet*? Ha. Right. I highly doubt that the feds would be interested in Binrev for catching criminals. With Binrev's vehement anti-criminal status, there's no point. I mean, think about it. You have all the mods getting on the case of people who post illegal stuff. And they do a real good job of it. I'd figure that the feds would be spending their time using other avenues than DDP projects to catch criminals. Most of the stuff on here is harmless hacking. Hacking isn't all bad, and I think the gov't know thats. It's stupid *people* that cause most of the "harmless hacker being displayed as evil menace" type things you read about in the news. I don't think the government goes out of it's way to turn harmless hackers into evil, horrible new stories. Stupid people do that for them. The government is busy catching hackers who actually *hack* things, like, fuck shit up, and such. Forums like this are pretty safe.

Think about it. As a regular joe, harmless hacker, your biggest enemies are sysadmins, and "normal people." If you don't actually break into computers (ie hack), then you don't even have to worry about system administrators. A lot of the hackers here are just like, "I want to learn about linux and LAMP and asterisk.." and such. They're the MIT-style hackers. They don't have anything to phj33r from sysadmins, because they don't hack other people's computers. And the people that are "cracker" hackers, they have to phj33r sysadmins. But, sysadmins don't _normally_ *proactively* look for hackers. Sysadmins generally only look for hackers once their system has been breached. Both "cracker" hackers, and MIT hackers have to phj33r normal people, though. Especially a lot of the hackers here, because a lot of you are schoolage, and "school" can be the most dangerous place for you to "hack." Of course, it's not as dangerous as hacking goverment or military computers, or stuff in "real life". The harmless hacking you do in school, though, can easily be misinterpreted.

I guess I'm saying all this to say that you probably don't have to worry about feds here. Of course, I could be totally wrong, feds could be here dragging through here, looking to arrest us all. But really, I think that'd be a waste of their time, and I think they know that. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, maybe not. Either way, it's something to think about.

You just nail8ko.jpg

how about peolpe just put what city they live in, then they can put up there aim/MSN/Skype names. That way users can give away their info at their own discretion.