F34TH3R

Best Day Ever

24 posts in this topic

Well today pretty much was 1337. I first went to the apple store to see if they knew what was wrong with my shitpod. The dude ended up not being able to fix it and he gave me a new one! (I would like to think I SE'd him) So, since this is the second time I have had problems with my shitpod, I am going to throw it up on ebay as a new iPod, and hopefully get above 200.

Second, my mom is a teacher, she figured out that over by the college down here, they have a HUGE warehouse full of extra shit that the campus doesnt want anymore. Well, I went there with my mom...no joke, there is over 150 computers there, and over 200 monitors (probably more). OLD vintage laptops...scanners...printers...everything. As you have guessed there is probably some shit, probably some good stuff. But there is rack-able UPSs by APC, as well as other server oriented type stuff. I had no idea what some of the other stuff was, so I need to figure out how to identify what a switch, or a router, or a server is when I see one. This warehouse is open year round so I can pretty much go there and get whatever I want that is computer oriented. By the way, we took this stuff for my mom's classroom so that the kids could see what the inside of a computer was like *cough*

Any links on how to recognize what a router or a switch looks like? There were HUGE cases with like 10 fans in them. Some had elaborate LCD's on the front, and all sorts of stuff. Some looked like little safes that you would put money in with a key hole in the front and a motherboard type thing in the back.

By the way: they have stickers on them that say cleared, so I dont think I could recover any important data that those computers might of held. It's worth a try! I'm just mad stoked and I thought I would rub it in your faces :D

Edited by F34TH3R

Google for the part number?

Google for the part number?

then I would have to go back and risk the chance of it being gone. Maybe the universities wi-fi network goes out far enough. I could take my laptop with me.

Go to Cisco's site to learn what routers, hubs and switches look like. Basically, they're rack-mountable and have lots of ethernet ports on them with corresponding activity LEDs. :)

If you get the chance to go back maybe take a digital pic of some of the equipment and post it?

Maybe someone here will recognise it and be able to tell you what it is.

There were so many things there that I didn't know what they were. My mom was getting scared because of how happy I was. To her it was just a bunch of old computers and junk, but to me it was awesome. I didnt see any equipment with a bunch of ethernet ports and LED's. But I saw this one piece of equipment that looked really nice. Like it said the name of the campus, it had like 5 LCD's with a black face. It said it was for samba somehow. Maybe it hosted some of their websites' stuff.

You didnt SE shit. And dont try to pawn off your fucked up Ipod on Ebay as new...that would make you a fuckass. And as for the other crap. What the fuck are you rubbing in our faces??? *oh i found some old useless shit, im gonna brag about the old useless shit i found and make myself look like a fucking n00b* And stop hanging out with your mom, that is social suicide!!

Im done. :monk: :jawa: :monk:

You didnt SE shit. And dont try to pawn off your fucked up Ipod on Ebay as new...that would make you a fuckass. And as for the other crap. What the fuck are you rubbing in our faces??? *oh i found some old useless shit, im gonna brag about the old useless shit i found and make myself look like a fucking n00b* And stop hanging out with your mom, that is social suicide!!

Im done. :monk:  :jawa:  :monk:

Exactly why I dont go to binrev IRC ^^

I'm selling my NEW ipod on ebay, not my fucked up one.

The rubbing in faces was a joke. Would you not want free stuff? Old useless shit? did you read what I found?

I will hang out with my mom if I can get free stuff.

Make myself look like a n00b? that's exactly what you just did to yourself

Other than everything you said, you do have a point.

Edited by F34TH3R

Old stuff? I have 19 boxen from 100 Mhz Pentiums up to 1 Ghz P4s that I got from a very similar place under the same circumstances. In fact, I made some decent cash buying a stack of 24 port hubs for $2 each and selling them on ebay for an average of $10. You may have found some nice stuff. Be sure to check it out.

PF

<edit>By the way, there's nothing wrong with hanging out with your mom in a computer warehouse... I just wouldn't do it in a club. :D</edit>

Edited by pixelFiend

So your saying that a lil' bump and grind with the parents is unacceptable?!

So your saying that a lil' bump and grind with the parents is unacceptable?!

Whatever gets ya through the day man...

:blink:

PF

Just for the record, exchanging your iPod for a new one wasn't an SE... it's practically store policy now. When I went in to get the logic board on my PowerBook replaced, while I was waiting in line at the Genius Bar, I witnessed three people come in with defective iPods and walk out of the store with brand new ones.

I think Apple sends the broke on out to get fixed, then sells it as a refurb for a nominally lower cost. Anyone looking to save some cash on Apple hardware should check out the refurb table they've got in the back... it's no different than if you got something brand new, had something break on it, and then got it fixed yourself.

So, since this is the second time I have had problems with my shitpod, I am going to throw it up on ebay as a new iPod, and hopefully get above 200.

Just to let you know, ^^that made it sound like you were gonna sell your fucked up "shitpod". And ive never been to the binrev irc, i usually hang out in invite only channels. And about being a n00b, i never claim not to be one. Because in retrospect, arent we all a little bit n00bish at times?? So stfu you cunt.

yellog 2.0

Edited by yellog 2.0

well, I'm going to not say anything back because I don't want to turn this into a flame war.

Good day sir!

Recognizing switches is easy (routers too): look for anything with a RJ45 jack.

Servers: Either they're long 19" boxes (rackable) that are very thin or huge

My wonderment is this: why didn't you WRITE anything down while you were there so you could figure out what it was when you got home?

why is it everybody ELSE finds all the good free shit? i cant ever find any good hardware or anything for free. good score though dude!

Send it to me, I will identify and keep it a no charge to you :P

Hubs are easily identifiable as a box with a bunch of rj-45 (ethernet ports) on one side and at least one light that says "Collision" or some short hand for it.

A router is identifiable by the fact that it has an input rj-45 jack and a few output rj-45 jacks. No collision lights will be present but there probably will be a "Connection" light.

A switch is identifiable by a bunch of rj-45s side by side and..uhm...no collision lights.

Some cheap hubs have no collision lights but I don't think you're going to run into them.

so um anyone know where one of these warehouses would be in jersey? or anything?

so um anyone know where one of these warehouses would be in jersey? or anything?

I've heard rumours that the Liberty Science Center ran a hardware exchange program out of a warehouse. But I've never actually had a chance to verify this. Mind you, I was told of this back in 96 so even if it was true then it might not be true now.

ya everyoen else seems to be pulling pbx's out of dumpsters and stumblin across useless old crpa and sometimes newer good stuff...WHENS MY TURN! :angry:

ya everyoen else seems to be pulling pbx's out of dumpsters and stumblin across useless old crpa and sometimes newer good stuff...WHENS MY TURN! :angry:

This warehouse that I found was only for teachers. I guess you could SE yourself as a teacher, but they send the school you work at a receipt saying what you took from the warehouse. The school isn't charged anything, it's just to make sure you are who you infact say you are and that you aren't using what you took for personal reasons.

You might check your local state University for a campus surplus operation. For example, UMCP has one called Terp Trader.

Alternately, you might look for a hamfest in your area. These often have computer stuff in addition to the radio things. Take a look at ARRL Hamfest lookup.

A warning, though: Back at the height of the tech bubble when corporations were spending freely on new equipment, I used to see stacks of second-hand switches and Sparcstations at these events. There were even grey-market resellers of used corporate equipment who, if you asked where a particular item came from, would respond "what are you, a cop or something?".

But the bubble is long gone. At the last hamfest I went to, I didn't see any resellers, and the only computer equipment was boring stuff from relatively unsophisticated home users. So, YMMV.