StankDawg

Is it time for BRR to go?

54 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Several of the others have covered the "StankDawg and guest" thing, which I agree with. No worries there.

I like BRR just fine, myself, and I've learned quite a bit from it. I'd be quite sorry to see it go, so if you really, really feel like you need to step back, then fine, but I'd rather have my fix. If you can find a periodic guess host like Doug, then maybe that would help, but I think you've done fine. Surely there are still things to teach and learn, after all.

My simple response is to keep the show going, if you are still interested. It would break my heart if you ended the show.

I feel like we are friends and you and your guests have taught me so much. As an older BinRev fan (late 30s) I have to tell you that the negative email that you have gotten is just young people who haven't learned the joy of working for something, the thrill in the pursuit of knowledge and the rewards of achieving a goal. The show is so good because you have real personality and you are a genuine person, and that comes through in the shows. You know how on TV or in a movie you have a favorite person, you seem to really connect with their personality, well that is the same with so many of us relating to you. We like you, understand you and respect you. I suspect that for each negative email you get there are HUNDREDS of people listening to the show on iPods and in their cars that totally connect with you but are just too busy or absentminded to write a positive or encouraging email. Please keep the show going, but do give yourself a break whenever it's needed. You just can't believe how my pulse quickens each week when I hear Dedicated to the Hackeres and Crackers start-up and I know the next hour is going to be something new and wonderful. OTH is not that good anymore because they are so whiney and politcal, you are not nearly as selfindulgent as they are and you keep it personal but professional, you really are the cement that has held this community together. I like your ethics, your attitude and your show, keep it going. :voteyes: ;)

I think you should keep going. Take a break from time to time if you feel the need though, get someone else to host it every so often. It would be a shame to see yet another show disappear.

Being a recent listener, I have chosen a null vote, becacuase I didnt start listening until Black Ratchet started co-hosting (I'm still trying to catch up on RFA), and frankly, I dont know enough to make an educated decsion on this. I have come to associate your name, along with BinRev and the DDP members with quality, good natured humor, and a wealth of information. From what I have heard, you don't want to be known as the man who brought everyone together, or the one who has created a safe haven for the begginers, nor the man who perhaps, in my view, centralized the hacking community, but you did, Ias well as im sure everyone registered on this board, appreciate what yo have done greatly.

Hey there Stank,

This is my first post on these forums, I've been meaning to get my ass on here and share some of my knowlege that I have for some time, but you know how real life goes. But I read that you are thinking about taking off and I had to say something.

Personally, I love the show. In reference to that, there are only two things that could make it better. Fewer listener emails asking goofy questions like how to pick a handle, and for there to be a bit more focus on the show and tell episodes.

I will be the first to admit that I have learned tons of things from your show, and the show itself as really fueled my desire to learn as much as I can about all things hacking.

So now that the obligitory butt kissing is over, let me give you my two cents on this whole quiting the show thing.

First of all, you arn't stealing anyones thunder. Everytime you have a guest you are very humble and allow them to speak thier minds about topics. At times you will even pretend you know nothing about the topic for the benifit of the listeners and the co-host's. So you can just chill with that. Now ya, there will be some people out there who might think that you are on some sort of high horse. You know what? Fuck em. You arn't. You always give credit where it is due, and I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe the problem is that you are so firmly assosiated with the show that everyone thinks that you are the one teaching everything, but is someone believe that, they are either idiots, or just trying to stir up trouble. Personaly, I don't see you as being 'stealing thunder' in the least.

Next up. People attacking you. Dude, you have a small measure of fame now. It happens and comes with the territory. I'm sorry that there are a bunch off asshats who would rather attack you than give something positive back to the community, but it's part of the whole deal. Personaly I like having you as the host, but maybe you should have a cycle of hosts so that there is a new host every week, with you stepping back to do more work in the background. If anything, that would take presure off of you from the fame assosiated with the show. Hell, if you wanted to do that, I'd be willing to host a show now and then. Not cause I want to me Mr BinRev, but because I think the show is something special and would love to see it continue.

In fact, why don't you think about doing something more along those lines? Not nessessarly hand the show completly over to someone, but just have them handle hosting and interacting with the co-host? Have them record it, then send you the unprocessed audio for formating and posting. That way you could still control the format, emails on the show, music and the like, but your name wouldn't be dragged through the mud constantly. Plus if you had four reliable hosts, that would only be 1 show a month that each would have to worry about, plus free up time for you to do other projects.

But to close this off, I loved the show since I first listened to it. I want to see it continue. But the questions you have to ask yourself are, 'Do I still enjoy doing this?' and 'Can I still handle doing the show?'.

If you don't like doing the show anymore, by all means, quit. I'll miss it terribly, but hey, shit happens, I'll deal. You have to look out for yourself first, and if it's no fun, then ditch it.

If you do like doing the show, but you can't handle all the stuff assossiated with it, then either quit, or find a way to divide up the responsibilities.

I'll tell you right now that I for one would love to help you with the show any way I can, and I'm sure that if you looked around or asked, others could help you too. I'm not talking about making one or two people do everything, I'm talking about one to four people hosting, one person editing the audio, one person finding suitable co-hosts, one person handling the email, one person doing research, and so forth. The hardest part about a setup like that would be finding relyable people to help you out, but there are some out there who would simply do it out of love for the scene.

Anyway, I love the show, and I would miss it if you were gone. If you ever need help, shoot me a message and maybe we can talk about ways to help you out.

I love the show.. I have not listened in a while but it's becuase I have been busy.. don't leave because people like me with a warning level of two. Leave because you want to. I personally don't understand why people hate you.. I havn't found a reason yet.

Long live BRR!

I hope you do stay Stank! If not for us, then for the n00bs (well to BRR at least! It seems like Binary Revolution Radio is becoming quite popular, and I would hate to see people who just started listening toBinary Revolution have to say goodbye to it. Of course there is always the archives, but it is just not the same as listening to a 'live' show that was usually made the day before.

Anecdote:

I registered on April 22 of last year, and RFA's last episode was on February 20, 2004, and since the farewell posts to RFA were two months old, the notes to RFA episode 99 were still 'Coming Soon,' and I had not listened to a lot of the episodes of BRR, so I did not no RFA had ended, so I kept wanting to post "WTF?! When is the 100th episode of RFA coming out?!'

Since, BinRev has about 100 episodes, I can see someone going through the episodes not realizing that the show has ended (if you do not update the show notes), and then coming to the last episode and thinking 'WTF?!' Oh well, I am not sure if my anecdote is really topical, but I just wanted to share it with all of you.

I normally stay out of stuff like this because of things that I have seen but I do feel the need to get involved here. Stank, you and are almost exactly the same age, something I don't really see that often anymore. I'm not sure how long you have been into the hacking scene but things have not changed too much in certain regards. I was very heavy into the scene when I was younger. Back then it was all about Commodore 64's, wardialers and tone generators. There were know nothing punks who shot off at the mouth back then and there are still here today. Your going to find that no matter where you go. I let it run me out of the scene for almost five years in the early ninties and I have been playing catch up ever since. You have an obvious passion for this that I would hate to see you run off by a bunch of punk ass kids.

In the end you have to do what is right for you, none of us can make the choice for you. If your sick of it, move on. I don't think that you are but, again, I really don't know you on a personal leve, I just get that vibe from the show.