StankDawg

Is it time for BRR to go?

54 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

OK, honest question time:

I still like doing the show. I know that we have many listeners, but I feel like I have worn out my welcome. Too many "StankDawg and guest" emails are making me wonder why people are not giving credit to my co-hosts. Maybe I am stealing their thunder. Making I am doing it all wrong. I have these incredible CO-HOSTS who do nothign but make a schmuck like me look good and I feel like a complete DICK like they are not appreciated! It makes me think that people view me as an egotist so maybe I should step away. I do it because I enjoy it, but I guess people don't see that.

I really feel like there are people out there who do nothing but look for ways to attack me and look for any little inconsistancy to send me an email and point at me for every little thing. I don't want to be scrutinized for every little tiny thing I do, I just want to have fun and try to entertain and educate people. I try not to act like a big know-it-all. Hell, I don't know shit compared to so many of our listeners. I never claimed to! As we grow more and more, it just gets worse and worse and this is why I feel like I have worn out my welcome.

I would be willing to turn the show over to someone else, like we did with Doug, but no one can commit to doing a weekly show. I have asked the people that I would be comfortable with doing it and none of them can do it due to time and work constraints. I would only want BRR around if it had the same format, otherwise it might as well be another show.

Maybe we should end the show at number 99 or 100 like RFA. I can make it that much longer. It is time for a new show to "take the reins" as it were. RFA was a 2 year ride, maybe BRR should be a 2 year ride, and then someone else takes up the mantle. DDP HackRadio would not go anywhere, nor would any of the other shows be affected. I still support all of them, but I just don't feel wanted anymore and am thinking of stepping back. Not completely from the scene (yet) but at least back up and let someone else be the magnet for the abuse. I don't understand why hackers are such hostile people, especially to each other.

Maybe it is the continual drama with the white_ravens, and the latteras, and the captain Bs, and the TRONs, and the seemingly endless supply of replacements. Maybe it is just me. I honestly don't know so I have to ask you guys (and gals).

I am declaring this a BAN FREE THREAD to allow everyone to comment honestly. Moderators should NOT WARN or BAN anyone for speaking their minds here. You can bash me here with no repercussions as long as it pertains to this topic and to me personally. Do not attack anyone else from the show! Call me an ass. Tell me how the show sucks. If you don't want to post it here because you don't think I am serious, or you think this is a trap, or you don't want to flame me publicly for fear of looking bad or perception, then email it to me personally at stankdawg@stankdawg.com. I will read each and every one of them and I will keep them PRIVATE even if you flame me to a crisp. It will all remain between you and I.

Open season on StankDawg is open for the next few weeks.

SD, you make the choice that's right for you. I'll support whatever you're comfortable doing.

I'd prefer you stay, though.

::EDIT:: Don't let the dicks in the forum get to you man. This happens to a lot of people who dedicate themselves to the web.

Edited by elchoaro

SD, you make the choice that's right for you.  I'll support whatever you're comfortable doing.

I agree completly.

i feel that if your getting sick of doing the show then you should do what you want! its your show! ill support your decision either way.

I've only just recently started to listen to the show and I think its great the way it is. Personally, I would hate to see the show just end, or to see you disappear from the show entirely.

I hope everything turns out for the best.

I'm a new listener to BRR but I really enjoy it. It's inteligent and when it's not it's hilarious as hell (War shitting... my cubilcle neighbors at work thought I was a nutter for laughing out loud for no apparent reason). Sounds like you've been getting a bad streak of negative feedback, that's a shame.

What they teach you in business school is to not take law-suits directed towards your company personally. Being sued just means that your company is being taken seriously and others want in on the profit.

I think the same thing applies in many areas. I see boards where people critisize our little show to bits for factual errors and even the way it's laid out. But that means that not only do they watch it, they take mental notes and are analyzing it way more than we thought anyone would.

I know it's hard when the whole world seems out to get you. That's when you need to reassure yourself that yes, you are better/more knowledgeable/smarter than all the haters out there. Let yourself be a little less humble for a little bit to coast back to the top of the next hill.

Of course, like everyone else has said, do what you feel is best. Maby even just take a break, put the show up on the shelf for a while with intent to pick it up later on.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Stankiness,

I have been a listener to all of the BRR and RFA and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. The most enjoyable shows are the ones where your heart is in the show. If you listen carefully ......it shows. If you no longer have the passion for the show then I agree to move on.

BUT............. do not quit because of personal attacks. There will always be people out there to slag on people who are successful in what they venture in. It is the typical tall poppy syndrome. To take the minority to heart and affect your judgement is clearly wrong. I would guess for each person who attacks you there would be a hundred who sing your praises for the services and enjoyment you provide.

Most good people go by the mantra of "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all" So it would only be negative feedback from idiots coming to you with the majority of fans in quiet support of you.

So in making your decision, please ignore the negativity of the minority who will attack you for the hell of it, but the feedback from the majority.

I personally believe you have done amazing things for the scene and I have learnt much from both yourself and co-hosts of the show. A smart person need not know everything but know where to source valuable information, and that is someting that you have a knack for.

I am a huge fan of you work and services you have provied and fully support the "Sensible" decision that you will make!

WOW. my longest post ever!

Cheers

Neg Output

OK, honest question time:

I still like doing the show.  I know that we have many listeners, but I feel like I have worn out my welcome.  Too many "StankDawg and guest" emails are making me wonder why people are not giving credit to my co-hosts.  Maybe I am stealing their thunder.  Making I am doing it all wrong.  I have these incredible CO-HOSTS who do nothign but make a schmuck like me look good and I feel like a complete DICK like they are not appreciated!  It makes me think that people view me as an egotist so maybe I should step away.  I do it because I enjoy it, but I guess people don't see that. 

I listen to the show every week, and enjoy it but one thing i've often wished is that there was a bit less with the reading letters from ingrates..err...listeners on the air, and maybe a little less of an intro to give more time for the guest host to say what he's got to say. It's not that I don't enjoy hearing from you, because I do, but I think the guest host should be given ample time to say what he or she has got to say, unless they don't really have anything to say, in which case yer kind of on your own. This was most pronounced during elonka and deciuses cohosting.

I also think some topicality would be of some merit. For example, probably one of the shows that you seemed to get the most feedback from was elonkas' where she talked about a particular topic at length. I think deciuses appearences are much the same, where the guest had a specific topic to educate the show listeners on is a great format. Unfortunately, that format does not seem to repeat itself every week (indeed, it seems quite rare) so i'd probably like more of that.

There should not be viewed as criticisms, just ways to make an already enjoyable show more so. I realize that the 2nd one is rather difficult, as the pool of guests isn't terribly deep when you are doing a weekly show.

I don't think anyone thinks you are taking credit for the work of the cohost.

I'm the new guy as far as these shows go. The only radio shows I've managed to listen to while new episodes were still being made were Default Radio and BRR. I listen to the shows at work and have listened to every BRR since ep. 52 and a (unfortunately small) chunk of the ones from the first year. I've listened to every RFA save five episodes, every Default, and most of Off The Hook up until all they talked about was Kevin Mitnick every episode (after that it seemed to go from "Off The Hook" to "Emmanual Rants About Politics").

Now, there's a reason why I bring up other shows here. The reason why I haven't listened to as much BRR as the others is that the show feels kinda dry to me. I love the first half hour or so of the show, love the telephonic craptaculars, the all-email shows, and those. However, 9 times out of 10, when the show gets on the topic with the guest, I get bored fast and skip to the next episode. The thing that seperates BRR from those other shows IS the fact that it's "Stank Dawg and _____", whereas all the other shows have larger groups (usually 2 main hosts and 1-2 guests). Also, after the emails are done, the show turns into "Now let's talk about..." for an hour or so. If I'm not interested in the topic discussed, generally I get bored and don't listen to the rest. Maybe it's just because I'm a kid (I'm 25, but that's a kid to a lot of you I'm sure) and I have no attention span.

I don't think you're stealing the thunder from anyone, and the reason you get a lot of "Stank and guest" emails is because I noticed a lot when I listened to the shows, you'd read an email that said, for example, "Dear Stank Dawg and Natas" even though Natas isn't on the show that episode -- he was on the previous episode. So to avoid that gaffe, they use that moniker. At least that's how I see it. Don't take the salutations in the emails you get personally.

I guess what I'm saying in a long-winded kind of way is that the only thing I don't like about the show is the single-topic format. And it's not an insult to you or your co-hosts, it's more an insult to me because frankly, I don't know that much about a lot of things so I get lost easily on some of them. And in many cases, I just get bored because the topic is something that doesn't interest me personally -- esp. the Linux stuff because I don't use Linux. But this is one of the few places where I'm in the minority on that issue...

I think that you should take a look at what you're doing with the show and decide yourself 1) if you want to keep doing it, 2) if so, if you want to keep doing it the same way, and 3) if not, if you want someone else to take over. You can ask our opinions on the matter all you want, but frankly...we're going to kiss your ass :P because we like you, we like the site, and we like the show. Otherwise we wouldn't be here.

The Abstruse One

Stank,

I think that it's good for a show to end before it becomes stale. Honestly I feel like BRR has lost some of it's originality and spontaneity over time. I enjoyed the episode with Doug and Lucky255 so much because it was fresh. I think that we you do the show it's seems almost routine now. It could be that my tastes are changing and that there is nothing wrong with the show at all. I think what you are doing is great and in the end you should do what you want to do. I understand if you feel some sort of responsibility to the listeners now, but if you step back and end the show on a high note I am sure that others will step up and fill the void. In the end I don't feel strongly either way. I'd be sad to see the BBR chapter end, but I can't wait to see what the next chapter holds. Just don't quit because of personal attacks.

Edited by djmollusk

i feel that if your getting sick of doing the show then you should do what you want! its your show! ill support your decision either way.

i agree with natas all they way! I could'nt of said it better myself. I've got a few ideas i'll finishing planing them out and i'll get at cha. <-(stank) Witchever way you go you have got alot of people into the h/p world and some back into it.

While i'm thinking of it.. Maybe having a show every week is a little much if you want the show to stay 'fresh' you could do something like bi-weekly or even monthly. This would then give you alot more topics and time to plan out the show. (not that you or anyone is lacking)

Well i'm off to see the wonder city of akron. (or as i like to call it crackton)

I'll sum my many thoughts up succinctly:

Fuck the haters; keep the show alive, BRR is not BRR without StankDawg.

Of the people that are watching for you to make a mistake....... WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING FOR THE COMMUNITY????????????

I am fairly new, and am trying to do more for the community. There is a saying that I grew up with. How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye?

Anyway Stankdawg, dont know you that well but keep up the good work. I hope to be as helpful to the community one day as you are!!!!

Maybe this is just a crazy idea. But maybe justt let your co-hosts host the show every once in a while. I know the shows doug did were a ncie treat. personally I feel there is nothing wrong with teh show. I mean without your co-hosts you wouldn't have anything. People do appreciate the co-hosts. But if you feel a layout change is in order its up to you.

There are more people here that appreciate what you do Stank, than there is shitpumps that hate what you do.

Keep up the good work Stank!

ok, i dont wanna read all the replies right now, but i think the reason you get "stankdawg and cohost" emails, are because you have different ones each time. and dude, WTF!? BRR CANNOT go, no, not at all.

Stank, I've been listeing to the showback when Radio Phreak America was at episode 78 or so which is around episode 10 or so. I've enjoyed listeing to all the episodes and have learned alot from them. I personally don't want to see you or Binrev Radio go anywhere. Keep it the way it is man, that is if you still enjoy doing the show. I sure enjoy it.

I would just like to say that BRR is absolutely one of the best internet radio shows I have ever listened to. If Sean K didn't already have the title Stankdawg would definitely be The Fucking Man in my opinion. Episode 86 was just as good as episode 1 and I am always excited to listen to the next episode. The show would be sorely missed.

As for those fucks who rag on you Stank, fuck'em. Let that shit roll right off you. The only opinion that really counts it your own. If you still enjoy the show continue it, if not drop it today. In the end the only person you owe it to is yourself.

Myself, I have just recently completed college and was unsure about what to do next. So I took a few months off, visited friends, worked on some projects and looked at my options. Finally I decided that I would like to pursue a doctarate and am currently in the process of obtaining one. Point being if you are unsure about where to take the show, perhaps it would be beneficial to truly take some time off from the show and see if you just can't stand not doing it or rather enjoy using the free time to work on other things.

Stankdawg,

I have been listening to your show for a good long while and ive heard you say many times that you keep doing the show because it's fun and you get to learn new things, and i believe that if you are still having fun and learning new things, that you should keep it up. incedentally (not sure if thats the correct spelling) your journey of fun and knowledge has brought a few tag-alongs with you, myself being one of them, but if your feet are weary and you miss home, or wish to choose another path on this journey, then by all means do so. i won't hold it agaist you; yet if you chose to continue i can't wait to see where you will take me and my fellow travellers next.

keep up the good work! ;->

I second that ... I will listen to the older shows all day, but you have to do what is good for you! :grr:

Edit

No Fuck that shit .. We need you here, as we already lost my other Heros Dual, and Bland ... I mean who else can make a bunch of hackers and phreakers laugh about a show on Masterbation and war shitting .. Dude I know we have our spats, but man come on... You are Stank, and if less then 000000000000.1% of the idiots outthere think it suckZ they can blow it out thier I just want free shit asses.... No Stank stay put Dawg, I know I need a show I can relate to, and since RFA, I know I listen to " The Hackers and the Crackers " Fuckem d00d ... I vote Stay! And so does my sidekick here ---------------> :grr:

Edited by Majest|c

Stay, don't leave. Simply put, you've got a wonderful engine started, and it would be a horrid thing to see something that I love listening to just up and fall to its death, Burst into a bright ball of flames, and screech to a halt as of your leaving. Continue, and I wish you the best of luck.

Stank - the spotlight is on you man. Your show is a success, the website, the magazine. Whenever you're in the spotlight you're gonna deal with trolls. If you can ignore them and still do the show having FUN, then I say do it man. You've clearly got a loyal following of people who enjoy it :)

Stank,

I've been listening every single week since ep.24. After one or two weeks I grabbed the first couple dozen shows and took them all in over a long weekend. There's one thing about all these shows (RFA, Default Radio, BRR, Infonomicon) that have been able to commit to a relatively consistent schedule that others haven't really hit on. Whether or not I've emailed a show 50 times, or talked to the host(s) on the phone or hooked up on IRC or not, you guys are my friends! Not to get sappy or anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can say that after listening to RFA for several months that you genuinely miss dual. Now that obfuscated is gone from Infonomicon I really miss hearing from him each week. And when you were gone, Stank, I missed you too. Once you hook into a show on a regular basis, the same as if you listen to a radio show in the morning every day on the way to work, it's kinda like visiting with a friend. Same thing goes for the co-hosts. I was very happy to hear VooduHAL back after his announcing that he has left "the scene." From all the sharing of info and lightheartedness going on on the shows and forums there's a real sense of community where, even though everyone is spread across the country, everyone knows each other and talk carries from show to forum to another show to another website, etc.

Since some of the earlier core members of the DDP have moved on I've noticed some changes in the show. But stale? No way! WTF? You're not going to hit a home run every single week! No one, and I don't care if they're pro or amateur, brilliantly ad-libbing or plainly reading from a script, no one is going to have a brilliant episode every week. It's just not possible. But I can pick out several plainly brilliant shows over the past several months. ntheory's Asterisk show on ep 60 got me hopelessly hooked on Asterisk and kick-started my phone interest. I listened to elonka and the show on cryptography several times and have been a regular visitor to her site since then. My brother and I had even started mailing coded messages to each other, just playing around and learning new things about cryptography. Ep 56 with Acidus on magstrip reading was excellent. Something new and different that I've filed away to try. More recently ep 79 with decius on encryption taught me things I had thought about and was interested in for a while, but never got around to looking into. Your ep 76 with Mambo get me interested in a CMS and now I've pitched the boss and we're well on our way to implementing Mambo for our company website (which will greatly reduce the stress on me to keep it updated).

I think someone hit on it earlier that the reason for the emails being addressed to "Stank and host" is the fact that no one writing an email knows who is coming on! I don't think for a minute that you're grabbing the spotlight from anyone, especially when I notice that you're "playing dumb" about a subject that I remember you talking about at length on an earlier show. I've seen how you play the part of a good interviewer and draw info from a co-host when it's not quite forthcoming.

Most disturbingly though, I've noticed a lot of negativity lately coming from the forums and emails from listeners. I don't know what the fuck these kids are on, or why they feel they have any right whatsoever to criticize or call out anyone, least of all StankDawg. I had a guy at my local defcon group ask me about what was going on when dual and bland left back to back (as if I had any idea). We both agreed that Stank was the main and major individual remaining to hold together the hacking community. Surely if Stank decided to pack his bags and leave the scene people would continue hacking, but StankDawg has taken these several thousand people on his back and hooked us all together through his magazine, forums, related websites... and BinRev Radio. Yes, there are others who could do it, but where others have talked about doing things Stank has actually (somehow) managed to pull it all together and do a damned good job of it, all while juggling jobs, projects and "real life" issues. NO ONE here has any business criticizing this man's work. And the fact that any emails or forum comments have him re-thinking what he has done or is doing is ridiculous, thoroughly unacceptable, and a pathetic crying shame. The fact that these people are basically biting the hand that is educating them is completely beyond me and it defies description for how stupid it is.

Stank, it's my fervent wish that the show keep going. I still listen every week, still enjoy the shows, and continue to get something out of every show. Personally, I feel that if someone doesn't like something about it, or you, or whatever, they can get their asses in gear and do something better. So far, the shows that I've found to be good are ones that compliment yours, rather than contradict. I have major respect for Stank and the things he has done. droops put it very well a few weeks ago when he said "this is my show and I'll do it the way I want. if you don't like it, don't listen." This was likely tongue-in-cheek, but there's wisdom there too. Do what you want, and in the way you want to do it. Your show is an extension of you. It's popular (and I'd say several thousand listeners a week is popular) because you make it what it is. Don't feel like you have to change it for whatever reason. Keep it going while you enjoy it. If you need an occasional week or two off, take it. You don't have any stockholders or employers to answer to regarding the show, though some times it appears like people believe that you owe us something. You don't. The show is a gift of your time, and it's up to you to ultimately decide when it's time to stop giving. I, for one, thoroughly appreciate it. :voteyes:

PF