djmollusk

Geek Love Radio

40 posts in this topic

:wub: Valentines Day :wub:

Geek Love Radio is on The Screen Savers today. Everyone tune in if you can and see Ricahrd and Hollie on the air. I wasn't able to go due to an exam I have, but staying home gave me a chance to fix up the design of geekloveradio.com a little bit.

You'll notice that we are showing some love to other radio shows / sites on our main page. Hopefully we can score everyone some new listeners. At this point we don't really know what to expect. They have this thing that they call "The Scrren Savers Effect" where a site gets hit so hard after they put the url on the screen. Usually so hard that it times out for everyone else. I guess we shall see what happens.

We should have some more big news related to Geek Love Radio next week. ;)

Edited by djmollusk

I hope you notified your host.

They did. ;) It will be interesting to see how it goes. I've heard of being slashdotted, or farked...but never "screensavered" :huh: ?

Great job on the site! :voteyes: I was wondering if you were going to update it for today. Opportunities need to be taken advantage of. I know it was a pain switching servers (believe me I know!) but we should be able to handle anything that the screen savers throws at us (i hope).

Lets see how it goes.... this shoud be interesting!

I like the changes, and am looking forward to the upcoming, mysterious changes/additions.

Just FYI:

Im on a Windows-2k box, 800x600, IE 6.0.2..,. (at school) and the site doesnt totally work out too well. Im sure when I get home and get to use *nix, and firefox, it will look great.

I tested the site on the latest IE, firefox and Safari and they all looked fine.

I hope you notified your host.

They did. ;) It will be interesting to see how it goes. I've heard of being slashdotted, or farked...but never "screensavered" :huh: ?

Great job on the site! :voteyes: I was wondering if you were going to update it for today. Opportunities need to be taken advantage of. I know it was a pain switching servers (believe me I know!) but we should be able to handle anything that the screen savers throws at us (i hope).

Lets see how it goes.... this shoud be interesting!

Yeh the term exists.. and I have witnessed it many a time. I have a bunch of alarmes set for 7pm and watch me still miss the showing! Someone had better grab this.

I reconnected my Directv just for this. Got the tivo set, I am ready.

The site looks good by the way.

So will anybody here be recording the show, and will it be available for download?

You should post the bandwidth graph: Cpanel>"Web/FTP Stats">"Bandwidth"

you guys didn't miss much. The interview if you want to call it that was maybe 5 minutes at most and mostly consited of the new kevin making unfunny jokes.

... and from what I hear I wans't mentioned at all. They also updated their site shortly before the show.

wtf.gif

I guess i'm no longer a founder of the show.

Edited by djmollusk

ya they didn't mention you at all kinda sucks, it could have been your big break.

if its any consolation to you: screensavers sucks pretty badly.

It would really interest me, if i could see the number of hits from a couple days before and the number of hits for today.

I was disappointed. Richard and Hollie were quite nervous though.

EDIT: I just reread my post at it looks like I was disappointed of GLR. That was not my intention. I'm disappointed about the little airtime and stuff they got.

Edited by ennui

It would have been 10 times better if Kevin would have stopped talking. Richard and Hollie did a marvelous job though. Congrats guys.

I was disappointed as well, but it wasn't because of Richard and Hollie, or the lack of mention of DJmollusk. That was the first time I'd laid eyes on The ScreenSavers since May. Holy SHIT it sucks! What a putrifying pile of pus! I'd sooner watch a recorded hour of my dog taking a shit in the middle of my kitchen floor than watch that show ever again! Little short segments that talk about NOTHING, then they shoot to Kevin Rose who is lurking around just off-camera, and he makes some stupid remark and looks like he's suffering from stomach discomfort brought on by a bad case of diarrhea. No lie, if you watch Rose's face you can tell that he KNOWS how bad this is. He must owe someone a hell of a lot of money, to drag what little bit of credibility he had through the fucking mud like this. WTF, MANTIES?!?! WTF is that? This used to be a show where the cast made somewhat funny jokes and the hosts were knowledgeable and genuinely enthusiastic and excited about their content. They actually had hardware hacking on it! They had people on who were big players in open source! Authors talking about Linux! Old school hackers stopped by from time to time, and even though they did a bad job of hosting the show, they had points where they shared interesting anecdotes! How this HORSESHIT could be misconstrued as a tech show is beyond me. Hell, you could take a cooking show from the Food Network and put the chef in front of a box connected to the net and it'd have as much content of interest as this pile of bullshit had. Way to fuck up a really good thing, Comcast. Good fucking job.

:voteno: :voteno: :voteno: :voteno: :voteno: :voteno: :voteno: :voteno: :voteno: :voteno:

As for Richard and Hollie, I thought they did fine, even though they had to deal with the inane host of the show. So they might have been a little nervous. I know I would have been. They were definitely the highlight of the show. None of my rant above had anything to do with you two. Good job. I'm sure your show will benefit from the exposure. I noticed the zoom in on the links section of the new site. Very nice. Shame DJmollusk couldn't have been there.

I doubt though that the "screensavers effect" is anything at all like it was a year or two ago. This show HAD to have lost at least 3/4 of it's viewer base. I still can't believe it. I'm shocked at how bad the show sucks.

PF

wow looks like G4 got rid of "TechTV" completely.

They went back to just calling themselves G4 again. I guess this just started tonight.

www.g4tv.com

I miss ZDTV / Classic TechTV

G4 Announcements at TCA

written by Chickytown on Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Today at the Television Critics Association (TCA) press tour, G4 - Video Game Television (changed from G4techTV) announced its new name, look and feel, all of which will begin appearing on-air and online February 15.

Two new shows were also announced at TCA, and will make their debuts this spring. They are:

Formula D: A series devoted to the world of drift racing that will burn up the screen in April. Featured in numerous hit video games, drifting has now reached the U.S. and is on its way to becoming a cultural phenomenon. G4 promises superior race day coverage including profiles and interviews with the sport’s hottest stars, expert race commentary and analysis, trackside reporting, drifting tips and tricks from the pros. “Formula D” will also give viewers the inside line on the latest in drifting culture from the coolest rides on the car show circuit to the hottest import car babes.

Girls Gone Wired: A digital beauty pageant featuring the hottest 2D and 3D women on the planet, and set to premiere in May. Comedian, actor and avid gamer Hal Sparks, who currently stars on Showtime’s hit series “Queer as Folk,” will host. Sparks, along with a panel of celebrity and industry commentators, will guide viewers in G4’s quest to crown the hottest video game vixen. Finalists will be announced online and G4 viewers will vote for the pageant’s top beauties.

Edited by doug

I don't get their logic. They havea crappy netowrk so they buy one with a larger viewer base but then take off all the shows people watch and put more of the ones people don't want to see and take everything that the old network use dto do out. Then on top of that they just take he name out. I can understand them buying out TechTV to take away compotition but its just dumb what they did to it.

Isn't Girls Gone Wired a part of unscrewed? or does unscrewed even exist any longer?

I would check the site, but I'm on 56k, and I don't feel like getting 0wned at the moment. <_<<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<<_< :pissed: :pissed: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

thats what most people in the world watch though. a lot of people like to watch shit like that. they love video games and its what works. it sucks for a lot of us but thats why we have so many reality shows beacuse most of the people in the world like shit. so liking shit makes more shit. and shit starts shitting everywhere.

Okay I just looked at the site's stats for yesterday (the 14th):

Number of visits: 1090

Number of pages: 12119

Hits: 71939

Bandwidth: 4.23 GB

And already an hour into the 15th:

Number of visits: 241

Number of pages: 2676

Hits: 17587

Bandwidth: 871.55 MB

Here are the stats for Feb 13th so you can compare:

Number of visits: 201

Number of pages: 2013

Hits: 11271

Bandwidth: 984.85 MB

Keep in mind this is just the stats for geekloveradio.com. We do have a lot of the mp3s still hosted on mojonetworks.

Also we've gotten a bunch of emails already and a lot of people sending in their pictures for the listener section. It looks like some good came out of it.

Edited by djmollusk

it sucks for a lot of us but thats why we have so many reality shows beacuse most of the people in the world like shit. so liking shit makes more shit. and shit starts shitting everywhere.

That's great. I need to add that to my signature.

Congrats on the increased bandwidth! :voteyes:

PF

This my first time watching the show since they fired Alex and Dan.. and wow. I don't think they mentioned any tech related word once on the show outside of the interview with GLR. A blind, deaf, mute, quadrapalegic could host a better show.