m2mike

Potential mayhem at Best Buy

15 posts in this topic

So I was recently in Best Buy where they are selling Cingular GSM phones. The stupidity of the Best Buy folks amazes me. Let me explain.

The GSM LG phones they had on the display were powered on. Here's the problem. When you have a GSM phone powered on with no sim card, what are your options? Well gee...hmmm? What is that option on the display that says SOS? What happens when I press that button? Yes, that's right. IT DIALS 911.

Now, I could have been a real ass and dialed 911 on about 5 different phones they had on display there. I didn't do that, but I did put one LG phone into test mode by pressing 2945#*#. So I had some harmless fun.

Wal-Mart seems to be smart enough to keep all of their GSM phones powered off when they put them on display.

I find myself agreeing more and more with Stankdawg's feelings about Best Buy.

I hope you stayed on the line and told the 911 people it was a mistake.

edit: oh yeah... what stupid heads ;)

Edited by kern_alert

Why didnt they just use dummy phones if they werent going to have service in them! At my Walmart we dont have any real phones, all are dummies (although your Connection Center people should have an i710 on Nextel)

Wal-Mart seems to be smart enough to keep all of their GSM phones powered off when they put them on display.

Weird, my Best Buy has all non working display units.

Perhaps yours is special.

yea- all of them here in the 512 (atleast best lies ive been too), are dummy phones....

do most phones have the test mode, that you speak of (m2mike)?

how do you do this on a nokia 3100(B)?

My local Best Buy also has live demo phones in there stores as well (I'm still wondering why) I've always had more fun with the bluetooth enabled PDA's they have there though.

Thanks for the LG test code BTW!

Ya thanks for the LG test code.

MARKS: For nokias > *3001*12345# that is the DEFAULT NAM setup code for MOST nokias, from that menu you can than reach a nokias test mode. Also remember *12345# is the default Access code so if it doesnt work on a phone will have to know the actual access code or pass code that was set so you can access test mode.

cool, tho it doesnt work with my nokia3100(B)... i tried my PIN code, and the defaults.. none worked, ive been looking on various forums and googling trying to find the NAM code and shiz,

thnx tho

I thought this was an interesting tidbit for you guys and gals...

I just got a cellphone for Christmas, the only problem was its a POS Audiovox CDM-8910 and my parents STUPIDLY locked the majorty of features from me. Not only did that piss me off, it blocked me off from dialing directly from my contact list. So after about an hour or so I ran into www.howardforums.com and got some of the codes for my model phone. Not only did I find out what my phones passcode was (Thank you #5625*), and that my parents cant remember shit seeing as they FORGOT what the password to the damn phone was, I found out later that you could potentially do some harm to the phones of the same or near the same model at retail stores that had phones on :)

Guess it just depends on the codes you know :)

-The Box

What do you mean, they locked features from you? Was it actual featutes on the phone, such as dialing from your contact list and such? Because that would not make much sense, I dont see what they were trying to stop you from doing. Now if it was provider based, no SMS/MMS, LD, 411, international dialing, that would make more sense...

um wouldnt the point be to let customers get a chance to see a working product?

I just got a cellphone for Christmas, the only problem was its a POS Audiovox CDM-8910 and my parents STUPIDLY locked the majorty of features from me.

*mumble* gift horse *mumble* mouth *mumble*

All of them at my Best Buy are dummies, except for two, but they had no battery in them. It was kind of retarded.

g 2.0

What do you mean, they locked features from you? Was it actual featutes on the phone, such as dialing from your contact list and such? Because that would not make much sense, I dont see what they were trying to stop you from doing. Now if it was provider based, no SMS/MMS, LD, 411, international dialing, that would make more sense...

Long distance calling was the main thing from what they told me. So that means anything with a prefix for an area code was blocked. That really sucked because that would render the caller ID useless by me not having the number with the area code in my contacts list already.

SO look at it like this:

They blocked all numbers with a prefix of an area code.

All INCOMMING calls showed with 813-***-****.

I could have caller ID on someone only if the number was in my contacts list with the area code.

Then a day later I came to find that I get Nationwide Long Distance included with my free nights and weekends. So laugh at my parents for pointlessly creating a pain in the ass for me :cuss: . Doesnt matter anyways, problem solved thanks to some really ub3r forum usage!

At a Compusa there was a cell phone on display that HAD SERVICE. A friend and I made a few calls, had a good laugh and left. It could receive incoming calls as well.