Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bland_inquisitor

looking 4 a wysiwyg html editor

11 posts in this topic

does anyone here have any strong opinions about a graphical HTML editor? I'm looking for something that is easy to use, and free :)

i'd reccomend bluefish or quanta for that.... but u know theres always vi and nedit :)

If your looking for a WYSIWYG editor AFAIK you wont be finding one, the only tools for web development ive ever seen you had to hand roll the code yourself, or cut and paste it ;) And the best tool ive come across for html editing is vim, but since you probably dont want to spend the time to learn it(very easy btw) i would go with quanta, I haven't tried bluefish in a while but when I did I just didn't like it. I really liked quanta's built in DOC's too. Again vim rules :)

"ed" all the way playa :D - j/k

"kwrite" is what I use, that or "kate" or "gedit".. You really dont need much for html as long as you can open a browser window and admire your work as you tweak it... thats what I do, text editer and browser window.

Quanta has its own preview feature and it renders pretty well. Bluefish uses Mozilla to render previews, so it's not very lightweight.

gecko (rendering engine of mozilla)is not light at all, lol so I wouldnt be surprised at that - I know dreamweaver has that same option, but I like to look at a full page of code, and for me its easyer to just switch by the tab bar.. I have never used bluefish or quanta, seems wrong to me to use something so big for something that never gets any bigger then 20k of hand coded goodness.

It's been a while since I've used anything but Dreamweaver, but Netscape and Mozilla should have a WSYWIG HTML editor, I think they call it Composer or soemthing like that. Not too advanced, and I don't think they support frames, but you can't beat the price.

Yes they both have a composer plugin/editer.. but its kinda blouted IMHO.

The Mozilla Editor isn't half bad. If you just want a quick simple page the old netscape 4 one was pretty nice. I used to use that. Another handy thing for the design challenged (or just plain lazy like myself) is http://oswd.org/ open source web design. You can browse through, pick a design you like and then download the code and edit it to suit your needs.

thanks yall... i'm using mozilla composer for right now. I will hand-roll my webpages in the future, i was just looking for a lazy way to throw up a placeholder. :wub: