Parapsycho

Speed dial sucks...

8 posts in this topic

There is a phone in my room. I noticed it had fallen on the floor, and it was off the hook, so I picked it up and put it back.

About an hour later, the doorbell rings, and a grumpy policeman shows up at my house, saying that someone dialed 911 from the house. After explaining to him twice that everything was alright, he finally got in his car and left.

I went back to examine the phone, and sure enough, one of my parents put 911 on speed dial.

Why the hell wold you want 911 on speed dial? It's 3 numbers, for god's sake! I mean its not like you are dialing a 10 digit number, and its sure as hell alot more foolproof to have the person have to dial all 3 numbers then accidently hit one.

Please tell me Im not the only one who has ever done that.....

I called 911 five times in a row the other day. I was trying to dial an international number, and the international access code is 011. Since I was using a computer to do the dialing I couldn't figure out why a person was answering. Then I looked at the number and saw the 9. I had to tell the operator and the sheriff that I wasn't dying or on fire.

lol yea..

this has happened to me once before to...

my friend was just fuking with my payphones and call 911, (at the mall) and within like 7 minutes they were there.. we quikly went into a crowded store so he wouldnt get in trouble..

-------------

(a little off topic but...)

Now, do all cell phones have the service that the police can find you? is it only ertain phones (gsm, cdma, etc?) certain carriers? phone models?

I have a Nokia 3100 on a cheap ass plan from ATT.. just wondering if anyone had any input.. im gonna go talk to ATT/CINGULAR support when i get a chance...

1. Your cell phone can always be tracked (when its on), Im sure all modern CDMA/TDMA/GSM at least, and likely older (AMPS etc). And now many phones are including a GPS receiever so they will track you that way for E911.

2. The next time your friend does that, bitchslap him, and then turn him into the cops. Or just bitchslap him in the first place and stop him from doing it. Do not waste police and emergency resources...

1, thnx for the info.. but even if my gsm fone doesnt have gps, they can still track from the signals and shit..

2. d00d! of course, i know... i got fuking made at him and was like someone else could have actually needed that grumpy, old, fuzz.

so yea, i definately dont believe in wasting their time our resources tho do not always agree on their decisions and what they have to enforce..

but thats a whole nother topic..

peace?

Why the hell wold you want 911 on speed dial? It's 3 numbers

it is reasonable, this is why :

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/29/canine.caller.ap/

Faith is trained to summon help by pushing a speed-dial button on the phone with her nose after taking the receiver off the hook

That makes sense. I've never had this probably because I dont have any speed dialed numbers on any of my phones. I do have the problem of calling people while my cell phone is in my pocket somehow, but that is because I never lock it when I put it into my pocket :P