BlackRatchet

Yet another sign pwn3d

24 posts in this topic

I could think of some more inventive message to get across, but their choice makes their point known.

http://www.nbc6.net/news/3946937/detail.html

Here is what makes me go 'wtf'

Quoth the article:

Whoever left the message then locked the metal box housing the sign's keyboard, so that road workers were unable to change the words and had to shut off the sign altogether.

They didn't have a key? So the terminal was UNLOCKED?! And they were SUPRISED this happened?

To the construction workers: Stop being n00bs. :nono:

Edited by BlackRatchet

ok- so maybe they forgot to lock it...

but whoever changed it culd have used their own lock!

I'm guessing the key was on or in the thing somewhere and they just locked it and took the key. It should be that hard to pick the lock or just get a replacement key really. I'm wondering how easy it would be to get one of those overhead signs on the freeway that are for traffic delays, amber alerts etc. There are a few on the may freeway in my city and they never get used really. I know there are boxes on the side of em but I've never took the time to go look at them.

I'm guessing the key was on or in the thing somewhere and they just locked it and took the key. It should be that hard to pick the lock or just get a replacement key really. I'm wondering how easy it would be to get one of those overhead signs on the freeway that are for traffic delays, amber alerts etc. There are a few on the may freeway in my city and they never get used really. I know there are boxes on the side of em but I've never took the time to go look at them.

Watch HackTV for all your giant roadside sign needs. :)

yeah i remember the HackTV segment, that was cool. As for signs around here, i always keep an eye on them, but they are always locked :(

hacker?

congratulations, you win "most useless post ever 2004"

but yeah, back on topic.... I've never really looked at these either. I wonder what can be done with bank signs.... maybe mess with the temperature sensor if they have them...

The time is 13:37.  The temperature is 2600ºF.
Edited by PseudoKroW

Lol damn good shit i see those orange road signs all the time but there managed by CalTrans i wonder if they all got defualt passwords..

Reminds me of fight club when they "modify" all the billboards with useful info

Such as you can make napalm from styrofoam and gasoline......

hacker?

this is a good point that was written off as a useless post...why does he have to be a hacker? I think anyone with 2 fingers can use a keyboard and type something such as that. Why not a disgruntled worker?

PseudoKroW: banks hold peoples money, you fuck with peoples money they get pissed. They would own you just as much as the goverment :ninja:

ERROR!

In my town there are lighted signs that display the ammount of money in the weeks lottery, three changable digits with "million" painted after it. I've looked at the workings of the sign (those that are accessable from the ground) and have found the electromechanical clock that makes it turn on and off at certain times of day, but have never found any kind of keyboard. I'm guessing that the sign is remote administered in some way, as the numbers change frequently, and there are several signs across town that have to desplay the same thing. Haven't noticed any kind of phone line or antenna comming out of the sign, but I might be missing it. Any idea how the nubers on the sign are changed?

im sure its by some kind of antenna thats on the top of the sign, may be hidden.. yea in Austin, TX we just got some of those too, including some that have a bunch of lines and never have anything good to say, always "click it or ticket" or "dont drive drunk" lol

And does that remote work with any LED SIGN that has remote capabilities?

Errrrrm...

"Maybe"

I both Alpha and BetaBrite signs use a similar serial protocol, but as for their IR protocol, lord only knows.

My gut tells me no, but I wouldn't be suprised if they work.

when we stopped and took pics of the inside of one, the lock it seems had been avoided by cutting the metal it was attached 2. someone had some metal shears, but no bolt cutters. also they had something to pry with as the thing was dented in.

link here

Lol damn good shit i see those orange road signs all the time but there managed by CalTrans i wonder if they all got defualt passwords..

CalTrans uses a default password, I've heard it's written on the top of the terminal.

HAHA, thats awesome. Someone did that to a sign here a few days ago.

g 2.0

I was telling my local neighboor about these becuase one of his friends crashed into one CalTrans had up. Lol he said he had pictures from the police report and the sign was still processing but only some light specs were viewable. But any ways he said one of the local high schools actually use a wireless connectoin to update their sign in front of the school... and he said hes sure they dont use WEP soo another sign shall be pwned when I get a lap top to bad my high school has a hard line connection to their sign leading into the main office.. :(

yea, in my school (magnet, but in the ghetto) we have one thats in the cafeteria (always overcrowded), and the sign is pretty high up but next to the stairs to stage, there is a little box with a master padlock... prolly the contols.. big enough for a small thumbpad keyboard and little screen..

im gonna try to go wardriving around highschools and the such when i get a friend that will drive me around and has a cool laptop!

If you want to change signs and mess with IR and what not via a handheld device, id look at nevo, me and my friends have done some very cool thigs with it.... like written custom IR codec packs for security cameras. :)