Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dox

Macintosh classic

17 posts in this topic

i'm looking at my mac classic circa '92, as well as those rfa mac plus pics, i was wondering how the background was changed. i can pop up some sort of console but i haven't been able to figure out any of the commands, and i haven't been able to find any sort of system configuration menu where any settings can be changed. any ideas?

*edit* i believe it's running os 6.0.8 with 4 megs of ram, and a 10 meg hard drive *edit*

I don't know what the highest OS version you can put on there but you can probably upgrade it to somethin for free now. Apple has all their older OSs for download, you just have to dig them up wherever they are hiding.

logan5 or meme (if you can find her) can definitely answer any Mac questions you have.

turns out it was running some form of 6.0.8 that had all of the options removed for some odd reason. i found the thing at the local dump a while back and i've been mystified by the lack of system options, i found a few sites that walked me through reinstalling the 6.0.8 os. it appears to be in better shape now. ;-)

i'm looking at my mac classic circa '92, as well as those rfa mac plus pics, i was wondering how the background was changed. i can pop up some sort of console but i haven't been able to figure out any of the commands, and i haven't been able to find any sort of system configuration menu where any settings can be changed.  any ideas?

*edit* i believe it's running os 6.0.8 with 4 megs of ram, and a 10 meg hard drive *edit*

Yee-ha! Another ancient Mac to grace the world! :rockon:

Dox: Here's a the link the the KB article on Apple's site. It will help give you some specs on your machine: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112176

You'll also want to check out lowendmac.com. They have a very helpful section on th old "portable" Macs. There's also some good info from this old MacAddict article.

You won't be able to use a desktop picture under System 6.0.8. Techncially, that feature wasn't available until OS8, but there's a system extension for System 7 that you can use. Thats what I did for the one thats on the RFA site. (Thanks dual! Just saw today that you put it up! :voteyes: )

There's an extension called Backdrop that I used. You can get it here. You'll need to have Stuffit Expander to decompress it. If you can;t get it onto that Classic, and don't have another Mac to use to do it, I can email it to you. It's a tiny file.

In order to use that extension, you'll need to run at least System 7, since System 6 doesn't support extensions. System 7.5.3 will run fine on that machine provided it's maxed out to 4MB of RAM. You can download it from Apple here. Once you have the OS installed, put the Backdrop extension into the System Folder. You want to put the picture you want on the desktop into the Backdrop folder, but that folder needs to be someplace in the System Folder and I can't remember where off the top of my head, and my Mac Plus isn't set up right now for me to look, but I *think* you just drop it that folder into the System Folder. Once you do that, restart the computer and you should have your desktop pic.

Also, any image you want to use will need to be saved in the PICT format, so you'll need something that can save a file as a PICT. I use Graphic Converter for that. And if it's not a Color Classic, and is a B&W one, you'll have to save the pic in 2bit color (B&W).

BTW, that System 7.5.3 download has 19 parts, each meant to be put onto a 1.4MB floppy. But you can install all the parts from a hard drive too, if they are all together in the same folder. You'll have to make a boot disk with System 7 on it cuz the installer won't run under System 6.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems. It may seem like alot of work, but it's a real blast to resurrect these old 'puters!

a few questions:

im running win98 and i have alladin expander, which should allow me to expand the backdrop utility, but then how would i get it onto the mac? to install 6.0.8 i used winimage to write the system image onto a couple of disks, but would this backdrop utility expand into a mac disk image?

also, how would i transfer the image onto the mac, as the only medium i have available are floppies. ?

*edit* i tried expanding some of the system 7.5.3 files that i got from the site you gave, and the first one turned into a .smi and the rest in the series of 19 expanded into .part files. how would i go about getting those onto the mac from my pc?

If you have a nix box on hand you can use its tools to setup the floppy for a mac, then just mount it under something like /mnt/macfloppy and copy all the files into it, under windows however it really deoends on the floppy disks setup.. if they are images you can rawwrite them onto a floppy, if not you may need to look in to com. alternitives, unless anyone here known of anything GPL that will work as I do not.

a few questions:

im running win98 and i have alladin expander, which should allow me to expand the backdrop utility, but then how would i get it onto the mac? to install 6.0.8 i used winimage to write the system image onto a couple of disks, but would this backdrop utility expand into a mac disk image?

also, how would i transfer the image onto the mac, as the only medium i have available are floppies. ?

*edit* i tried expanding some of the system 7.5.3 files that i got from the site you gave, and the first one turned into a .smi and the rest in the series of 19 expanded into .part files. how would i go about getting those onto the mac from my pc?

By "alladin expander" do you mean Stuffit Expander? When I downlaoded Backdrop, it came as a .sit file, which is the Stiffit format, similar to a .zip file on a PC. You should be able to unstuff it with what you have if you were able to unstuff the System 6.0.8 files. Backdrop will unstuff into a folder with the Backdrop system extension and a folder with a couple of sample pictures. That folder is only 98K so you'll be able fit it onto a floppy with no problem.

Bear in mind that the Mac Plus comes with a floppy drive that can only read 400k or 800k floppies. The 1.4MB floppies that you buy today won't work....it'll just spit 'em back out.

Getting System 7.5.3 on the mac will be kinda tricky if you don't have another Mac to use. The .smi file is a compressed disk image in a proproitary Apple format. I think .smi stands for Self Mounting Image, but you might need to have Apple's Disk Copy installed in order to mount it. Disk Copt gets installed with just about any version of MacOS use, so you should be ablt to mount it. But you won;t be able to do anything with it in Windows or any other OS.

The problem you're going to run into is that each of those parts for System 7.5.3 is (or should be) about 1.4MB in size, so they won't fit onto an 800k floppy, which is the highest size the Plus can read.

Your best bet would be to use an external SCSI hard drive, since the Mac Plus has a DB25 port on the back. The Plus was the first Mac to be so equipped. That's what I had to do to install 7.5.3 on mine. I just put all 19 parts onto an external SCSI drive that was hooked up to the Mac I downloaded the files to, hooked it up to the Mac Plus and installed it from the hard drive. Again, there's a catch: those old Macs sometime have problems recognizing drives over 2GB in size, and you'll need a drive that supplies it's own power for SCSI termination. The Mac Plus doesn't put any power though the drive for termination at all. I got hold of an ancient 500MB drive that has these resistors behind a plexiglass door that handle the drives termination. The other problem you might have is formatting the drive, if you don't have another Mac to use.

Of course, there is one more thing I need to mention that will make or break if you even need to worry about the above issues: your Mac Plus wil need to have the maximum of 4MB of RAM installed for it to run System 7. The Plus shipped with 1MB of RAM, but it won't run System 7 with just the 1MB. To find out how much RAM you have, go to the Apple menu (upper left with the Apple icon), click on it and scroll down to the About The Finder option. You should get a window that tells you what apps you have running (Finder will probably be the only one) and tell you how much RAM it's using and how much you have installed. It shows everything in kilobytes, so if you have something around 1024K of installed RAM, then you've only got 1MB, installed in four 256K SIMMS.

Installing RAM in a Mac Plus is pretty easy, but finding the SIMMS for it are not. And you have to snip a resistor for it to recognize the extra RAM. If you end up needing the extra RAM, let me know, as I have 4 extra 1MB SIMMS that will max out your machine, and I can send you a PDF of an Apple Service Source take apart manual with instructions for the installation.

DAMN IT! Thought I was logged in. If there's any doubt, the above post is mine. Hope the info helps! ^_^

indeed it does, thank you for the info.

it is maxed out to 4 megs of ram, and it does recognize 1.44 floppies.

i'll post some updates after i fool with this thing some more

Goo this post thread has been a interesting read, I have a bunch of ld apple parts in my storage room (read computer and electronics room), including a couple apple classica that are running at 16 mhz.. just need new motherboards for them, so this is a interesting and inform. read,

indeed it does, thank you for the info.  

it is maxed out to 4 megs of ram, and it does recognize 1.44 floppies.

i'll post some updates after i fool with this thing some more

DOH! My bad. For some reason I had it in my mind that you had a Mac Plus like mine. After reading back I see that you have a Classic. My bad. Sorry for the corn-fusion. ^_^

Yes, the Classics will be able to read the 1.4MB floppies so you should be OK. They called that floppy drive a SuperDrive, which is funny cuz that's what they call the Pioneer DVD/CD-RW drive that ships in Macs these days. The more things change......

And certain version of the Classic did ship with an internal hard drive, so if you have one, you should be in even better shape. Have fun!

ya both the mac classics I have had a internal hardrie, a whopping 40 megs huge.. lol

But that was ALOT back then! It is funny though. I regularly work with Photoshop files that would NOT fit onto a 40MB hard drive! :lol: I don't know what we did back then...oh wait, yeah I do. :D

I remember.. If only people would start thinking smaller, like the v2os project, then maybe things would be small enough to fit on such a hardrive still .. one thing I REALLY want to have is a mac fast enough to run hypercard on that has it installed.. I would love to have such a thing of my own as thats how I first got into codeing.. applescript hypercard games :)

Hypercard! Dang! I hadn't spoken or thought that word in so long, I had to try it a few times to get it right! :lol::lol::lol:

I still have a book on it, it may just be a official manual, Im not sure as I havent read it in a long time... But I also have some old books on applescript and apple codeing from back in the day, just havent had the ability to use them in so very long a time due to not having a mac/apple to hack on.. back in the day when I went to jr-high, The school I was at had a network of them running FoolProof.. LOL I helped them set up that damn network, at least from the hardware side, I know it dates me but I always remember hacking away in the computer lab before/after school and during lunch.. even if I had to pick the lock to get in, the cool thing about it was it was ok with the teacher who ran it, he LIKED that I had such a interest and HELPED foster it in me, we even had a deal that I would only 'work' (his word for 'picking') the locks if he wasnt able to let me in, if he was I had to get him to get in.. now that was a cool teacher!