darkr

tools to make websites with

15 posts in this topic

I havent posted in a bit(school, failing school, girlfriend) anyways Im thinking about making a website for an activist group im part of and am wondering different tools for free or cheap, if there are none of these the best ones out there. this is what im looking for.

A good Flash creator. I have Anim-FX 2.5 downloaded, is this any good(havent used it yet) or is there one better.

something that can create a graphic like on this webpage. The top right with the perosn waving a black flag, there website name and some pictures, see it?

and i do know basic html, but thats all, just basic. where is the best place to find/learn more extreme html?

thanks

Resist the urge to use flash, it's for the good of mankind

As with most code, the best way to learn is too look at examples, and they are all over. You might want to learn CSS and PHP if you have the time (php isn't hard if you know perl or c or something with a similar syntax)

Overall, I'd say do it by hand. It's the most efficent. There is of course Frontpage (non free), CoffeeCup (for windows and linux) and for linux there are a few like Peacock and Bluefish

"Resist the urge to use flash, it's for the good of mankind"

And i had such a good idea for it. May I ask why resist flash for an opening page? The only thing I thought of would be having regular visitors getting tired of it, but then I would just have a link underneath it to skip the flash. i dunno, whats your reasons?

1) You are right, going there every day and seeing it gets tiring

2) Flash is not multi platform, there is a dirty hack for linux, that runs out of sync, and the only one that works on mac is the specially licensened one in OS X

3) Just not needed usually

thanks :) that is rather helpful, didnt think of the non-multi platform biz.

Use notepad, vi, nano, or even emacs. Stay away from flash as use of it limits accessibility and in some cases is even illegal to use due to accessibility laws (like in the UK).

Don't use JavaScript if you can help it. Do everything you can server side. PHP ( http://www.php.net ) is the best thing to use if your server supports it. If it doesnt get a non-crappy host, I can give you the details of a really nice one if you PM me, and ignore newimageservers for hosting as they are not in my experience reputable or ethical.

I think what everyone is trying to explain is that the best website is one that does what it is intended to do. If it's a site for your activist group you have to decide how best to get your message out, which is likely the reason for creating the site, getting your message out. Flash can be useful when it's used to tastefully help in displaying your content. Content has to come first. The problem is that it's hardly ever used this way. It becomes nothing more than eye candy, and detracts from your content, which is the last thing you want.

Notepad for Windows, or any of the editors for Linux will do everything you need. Basic HTML will do just what you want. Anything more esoteric can get kinda hairy because of browser compatibility issues. If you're interested in building an eye candy site you can do whatever you want and let the graphics dictate what they are viewed with, because they become the content. But if you want people to read your message, make the design clean and easy to look at. ;)

PF

If you already know HTML, then I would jump straight to the CSS. Then on to Javascript and PHP. Don't rule Javascript out, you don't want everthing to be running on the server. I personally use Homesite to edit my pages. Of course there's a bunch of fancy ones out there, namely Dreamweaver.

But, i'm kinda in the midway with flash. I don't personaly like the flash intros, but some minor flash here and there isn't so bad.

Edited by obfuscated

i prefer simple graphics for entry pages. that way you can put something neat up there and change it sometimes without making people wait for something to load.

to add another argument against flash, users without flash support or browsing in textmode(lynx) would not be able to view a full flash site. this is counterintuitive if your purpose is to disseminate information.

to add another argument against flash, users without flash support or browsing in textmode(lynx) would not be able to view a full flash site. this is counterintuitive if your purpose is to disseminate information.

Exactly my point.

Use notepad, vi, nano, or even emacs.

notepad and pico.. do it right, or dont do it at all.

Use notepad, vi, nano, or even emacs.

notepad and pico.. do it right, or dont do it at all.

pico isn't inc;uded is allot of distros since its not true open source software; nano its clone IS under the gpl so get your facts straight.

Emacs/emacsspeak works great if your working on a page; I use it all the time and the only thing I hate about it is that its so bloated, but it does work.

notepad is my editor of choice, I do my website at work were there isn't as much choice with OS. I remember trying to use frontpage, not only was it kind of stubborn with what I was trying to tell it to do, but when I looked at the html it generated...it was ikky.

Content is probably the biggest focus though, you may want to get that up even before things get flashy. Especialy for an activist group. I'm sure there are plenty activist groups where I live, but most of the sites I come accross are nice looking, but un-organized with their content. I want to know, what are we doing, where can we meet, and whose tires are we slashing.