Subzero1037

Time to step it up...

38 posts in this topic

Alright... Most of you have probably read and know whats going on these days on the forums. Stank is a busy guy and has alot on his plate to handle, and i find this is a great opportunity for those of you who are new and those of you who have been here a while to show what you've got.

We are a bunch of lazy hackers. We are... Name one thing that's happened in the last month or two that this forum has taken on as a collective project and kept it going. I know alot of us have our own individual projects going on as well but we also are a community. Maybe its time to step things up a bit. I know, even myself included, have been disconnected for personal reason lately.. but thats no excuse for those of you who are here everyday.

It doesn't matter what skill level you are, what are of expertise you are.... Things around here are gonna continue to function. BRR, HackTV, and the Magazine are all ways to contribute of course...Write something, film something. Think up new projects! why not?

I think alot of people take this for granted... People do see and notice things. This summer when i went to HOPE you'd be surprised at the amount of people that recognized my handle from projects ive been involved in. Do you want to be the kid that sits in the corner of some convention point to people being like hey look its Subzero or do you want to be the person thats walking around and people stop you and talk to you and are like hey i liked your work on such and such heres my number, call me if your in town ever and need a place to stay(true story).. Think about it... we are the middle of the community more or less...

We need to start motivating people to get out and do things again. There seems to be this i don't give a shit attitude nowadays that is kinda discouraging. Fuck it... What if you people that have been here for a while came to these boards when you didn't know anything and saw a bunch of hackers with their thumbs up their asses. It'd be kinda discouraging to think that the greatest minds all sit and talk about who said what to who in which conf. and other pointless crap thats been floating around... Don't be a slacker be a hacker!

IT doesn't take much... Write an article.. Who cares if someone has written in already do a bit of research on it of new things and write it better... JUST DO SOMETHING.... its a waste of brainpower and knowledge to sit there. Anyone here obviously has more IQ than most people you'd find in a supermarket...

For those of you who are doing something, don't take offense... now I want you to get other people motivated too. Otherwise, all you with this notion of being a good hacker will just end up being that washed up hacker that hangs around cons to be cool cause you r00ted a box0r in your day.

So Stopppp reading this now and do something.... GO! Start something new... get more people involved... Work on something there... just do itttt..

I totally agree.

If you don't know what project to start, it doesn't matter. Start a coding project, Wargames, Do a radio show, Do a Tv Show, Make a haker quilt. Something. Don't sit in front of the TV all day and jerkoff.

I've got a load of papers i'll upload over the next few days. If anyone is interested in them I have a huge database of military as well as government and private sector manuals for various systems and assorted things. In the way of personal projects of my own, I announced a long time ago about a project I was working on that the goal was to develop software and perfect the method by which to detect police using 802.11 a/b/g wireless. It's coming along extremely slowly since i've been busy lately but I should be able to pick things up again. I'll throw all of the current research and work done on it on one of my sites for everyone to look at.

I was just talking about this with somebody.

I guess I can start working on a project I have been meaning to do:

If you know C,PHP,at least basic HTML, and can use linux without needing to go into a week long fit of learning please PM me.

Edited by Belgarath

The motivation died with RFA, but we were all too lazy and unmotivated to notice. I'm ready to step it up.

I concur, hack or live in a van down by the river.

That said, I'm probably about up to my limit with projects, but if you guys want to start brewing up code for one thing or another, im willing to help with whatever i can.

I think the mods here need to come up with a new format for the community to work on projects. Something much more in the foreground. At the moment binrev really doesn't have a visible distinct place for projects, and it would make all the difference. Let the regular forums be the place to casually throw out ideas, but once people have expressed an interest in a project, it should be made into a special "PROJECT" thread in a special forum. Maybe a "project thread" would have to be started by a mod at the request of someone, to avoid threads that should start in the regular forums.

Also, the projects should be MUCH more visible. For example, they should at least have their own forum at the top of the other forums. Personally, I think each project currently going on should be clearly listed on the binrev.com/forums page so that people can see immediately what projects are in the works. It also couldn't hurt to list each project on the main page.

Without something like this, projects are never going to get anything more than a lukewarm response. Anyone else agree?

Edited by Jberryman

Like I was saying to a mod earlyer, A CVS server or something more up front would be interesting to have. Even if most people only had read access it would show that a development community exists here and is wanted.

I agree. I am a noob, but I am ready to do what I can. I have been thinking about some phone stuff, but I haven't gotten around to doing it. Now I will. :)

I have realized how lazy I am and have recently been working on getting better at my codeing, I hope all of us do start getting more active again, the end of RFA did kill a little something, but we are past that, I'm up for projects (Time permiting)

wow this is another "I agree" thread but a needed and good "I agree" thread.

good call subzero!

i feel like i need to get some more shit together even tho i just wrote two article for binrev, maintain oldskoolphreak.com, am trying to learn perl, and work a full time job.

i think we need to get some default radio going, and some more shit on bellsmind to make people interested in all the phreaking related stuff again.

im gonna trade in sleep so i can work on shit some more.

Edited by natas

Being that I was to anti social, lazy, or what have you, Ive worked on few projects other than ones with my friends, we usually got lazy and didn't finish half of them as well. Im in for whatever, lets do something cool, learn something new, and have people be all like, woa you were part of blank, blank was sweet, your whole group is sweet, will you sign my got root hat?

Ya i totally agree... as i lay in my bed and stare at my flat screen ideas come and go and i steadily drift into code heaven but i know when i wake up im not going to do shit becuase my ass is lazy and my life is to combusted with bull shit... but any ways...

IDEA FOR PROJECT: lets start a page or web site for manuals and such or a DATABASE.. imagine it though man.. people are always interested in manuals... imagine having a place where u can search some thing up and boom have a manual on it? it would be great... say some one wants to KNOW some thing about some thing...( meaning phones) send them to the manual search page and they got all the info they need and more.. and plus many people would greatly appreciate it i think ... and it could be a community project... people go out get there hands on what they think is knowlegdable in a way and scan the manual and load it up to a page and or web site and boom... hell we could have MANUAL RACES.. lol see who can load up as much manuals as possible in a month... :blink: i dunno its something to sleep on but ya ... :grr:

Edited by SUB-S0NIX

sort of like wikipedia for fones? we could even put them in man page format too. so you download a tarball of manuals, then when you want to know something:

[me@localhost me]$ man cocot

Customer-owned coin-operated telephone

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Redirected from COCOT)

COCOT stands for customer-owned coin-operated telephone, the formal name for telephones owned by independent payphone service providers.

or something along those lines. i remember way back in the day(ok, more like 1994) there were a few places that had a pretty heafty collection of files on different subjects, so something like that would be cool. a searchable encyclopedia of technology geared towards hackers/phreaks.

Man, I just started work, and am pretty busy now, fun job so far (desktop support). I still have an article I spent hours on, and would love to finish it. I Love the topic of the article also. hmmm, maybe ill do some more work on it now.

Kevin

Edited by Kev420inK

Well ya there are already a shit load of people doing archives of text files such as textfiles.com but i mean like just manuals on systems dealing with networking and phreaking and hell maybe some hacking for say on systems and subjects u want to know about..

Well ya there are already a shit load of people doing archives of text files such as textfiles.com but i mean like just manuals on systems dealing with networking and phreaking and hell maybe some hacking for say on systems and subjects u want to know about..

I agree, I myself thought about sugguesting this but quickly sweeped it under the rug as I figured so legalities could arise and you guys would'nt like the idea anyway.. anyway I'm a freelance graphic designer.. I'm an low intermediate with it. but I'll contribute nice looking stuff if need be. I'm supposed to be writing a report for Belagrath (sorry if I chopped you named up really bad) but I don't see that happening.. So I guess I'm gonig to tell me I'm going to have to pull out as much as I regret too.. maybe I'll do the report tomorrow.

Subzero, may I say thank you for noticing the lax attitude around us. I actually noticed a few days ago that most of my posts have started to go into the off topic sections because I was getting lazy...

Obviously I'm not the most technical person on the board seeing as how my skills range in the human element more heavily, but I'm willing to give a shot with some projects around here.

Lately I've been doing a lot of reading, but putting the knowledge into practice, not so much. I've gotten the chance to put some of it back into the real world again, so I'll be doing that more now, and if anyone wants me to help with ANYTHING at all, I'd be more than willing to lend a hand somewhere. I'm gonna be moving in a week or so and it'll be kinda hectic for a few days, but after that I'll be good to go for another 2 months before I move off to college then I again, will be good to go after I get my schedule in place. If someone wants me to lend a hand here or there or become a dedicated member or a project, hit me up. I'm ready to get back in the game. Yay pep talks.

I said I was going to un-plug after HOPE, due to getting another job, on top of the one I have. Oddly enough though, my plug got pushed farther into the wall. I will definately be working on all kinds of stuff. Maybe a couple articles may come out of it. Some of the projects may not be hacking related, but the knowledge gained could help in the future. I still do have limited time, but I'll try to pop in these forums now and then.

I have been disconnected for a while because i started in the real world with a full time job a part time job and school. Shits exaughsting. But with my sidekick i have its home page set to binrev so im always connected in one way or another. I try to look at new posts on almost every smoke break i have at work. Beyond that im back in the sence and in two days learned alot sense i been back. Im currently working on defacing www.0penhack.com well me and dr4g0n47 and we've got a great start. I've never "officially" hacked anything before but i think i have the potential so i figure i'll give it a whirl at 0penhack while its legal. On top of this im going to ITT (shittiest school i could have choose for personal reasons) for their CNS course. After i know networking like the back of my hand things should come easier and they have a bachelors course in Internet/Network security that im concidering taking. If possible id like to start a DDP project and i think its one of the best projects any ones came up with in a long time. My project is to start a patition to bring stank back to the forums and have some regulation here. I've been on the forums for quite a while. I've seen alot of people post once and never post again and im seeing alot of new faces. Yet with anything in real life comes imaturty(sp?), disgracing, arguments etc. I for one totaly support the DDP more so then any other forum i've seen or lurked on and thats why i've stuck with it. I just want to show stank how much he's missed and how many people totally support him and appriciate him and his contributes.

So im not sure if starting a patition to get stank back in the forums is against the rules nor if it will be supported thats why if any mod wants to go with this idea please start the thread for it. I dont want to get a thread locked or start somthing bad and this is why im asking for the mods support or permission if you will on this one. Its just me i know i dont have alot to contribute but in my eyes i see this as a downfall in hacking a great depression if you will. Well thanks for hearing my idea and hope to hear good things of it.

Edited by XxthugstylezxX

My project is to start a patition to bring stank back to the forums and have some regulation here.

Let the mods do there jobs. Starting that will only get you flamed/banned/locked/. He left for his own reasons so let him have his peace, to do anything else would be a large disrespect.

I'm still working on my very large cross platform C tutorial.. If anyone here likes writeing docs, knows C, and has over 1 hundred quality posts let me know.

My project is to start a patition to bring stank back to the forums and have some regulation here.

Let the mods do there jobs. Starting that will only get you flamed/banned/locked/. He left for his own reasons so let him have his peace, to do anything else would be a large disrespect.

Thats understandable and i see your point but thats why i kind of left it up to the mods so the thread didnt get locked, i didnt get banned, or i didnt get flamed.