Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jera

Multiple OS

7 posts in this topic

It seems to me that a lot of the people/hackers here use linux so this might not apply to you however, I have been thinking about putting programs on cds and then just having those cds with me when I am going to do a new install. I also heard that some of microsofts OS can be on one cd. Like win2k, 2ksrv, 2kadvsrv. I thought maybe it would be cool to put all of my windows OS onto as few cds as I could. While looking on google I tend to find this info to do it on dvds or for xp and 2003.

Does this seem interesting to anyone? Has anyone done this before? Can this also be done with linux? What do you think about doing this?

Thanks,

Jera

If you are looking for me I'll be at a computer reading info about doing this.

well this is considered warez, since you'd have to own every license for each version of windows to put it on the cd, but I've seen single cds that have every version of windows on them

XP = one CD

When I worked for a PC repair shop, we put all the software we ran on customer machines on CDs. It did make it handy. I've also put spyware/adaware/virus removal programs onto a USB thumbdrive when I had to work on a friend's computer and couldn't burn CDs on my comp, worked pretty well. Seems like a decent idea (especially if you're one to reformat quite frequently) and it would make installs a lot faster. I don't know if I'd want to do it on Linux...I'd probably need to update the software more often and it'd be easier to just keep a list and download...for me anyway, but doesn't seem like a bad idea for Windows. Just keep em up to date.

How is it warez? I happen to have a win 95a and b, win 98, 98se, 2k pro, 2k svr, 2k advanced srv, and xp pro disks all with legal serial numbers. Besides that I can get a copy of win 2kpro, 2k adv srv, and 2k srv all on one disk from college. If you are taking classes in the computer field. There are stipulations like you have to be in a specific class or classes, you can only have the cd for 3 days then you must return it, and of course you have to agree to not go around installing it on every computer you see. Besides that it is legal.

Higher learning schools have done this type of thing for years. They get a license from the vendor to allow students taking specific classes to make a copy of the cd for use/learning. People can get programming languages, operating systems, image editing software, etc depending on the classes you are taking. Of course the funny thing about this is that you have to be smart. The teachers normally don't tell you about this program, nor does anyone however, if you ask your teacher, librarian, or head of the department they will know about it and tell you about it. I found it simply amazing all the people that were taking computer classes and never got the operating systems and played around with them. They would ask my questions and eventually the question would be "do you have this os"? and I would tell them yes I got it through the school. I would explain all about the requirements and then they would be in classes that are not approved for this benefit and therefore miss out.

So I suppose the moral of the story is always question things and ask questions. I hope this helps someone. Whenever you have questions ask, ask, ask. I used to be afraid to ask questions in class because I felt everyone knew so much about computers that my questions would be a waste of time. Now I ask questions that pertain to the topic when I am confused or think of something the prof did not mention and I write down questions that don't specifically pertain to the subject during that lecture and I ask when the prof has office hours. You may not believe it but most profs care. They will be glad to sit and talk with you about anything. In fact most people will.

Thanks,

Jera

I happen to have a win 95a and b, win 98, 98se, 2k pro, 2k svr, 2k advanced srv, and xp pro disks all with legal serial numbers.

Yes, but did *you* buy the licenses ? If so, haw haw! You sure know how to waste valuable dollaro's.

I've seen versions of XP floating around on one CD, they call it XP 8 in 1 or something along those lines, it has all the different versions of windows and a key gen, all in windows installation style graphics.