Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FoG

tor

9 posts in this topic

This could very well just be me, so if someone gets the point of this thing, please let me know. But it looks like it's a bloated, extended, hyped version of just using proxy servers. What am I missing?

well it is pretty much, from what I read it just makes proxying easier to use for multiple means. browers, IM, irc, etc. Too many retards use a http proxy on IE and think they're totally anonymous everywhere. Findind free proxys that work for Instant Messaging and IRC is rather hard in my experiance too so I could be usefull. Pretty much "the anonymizer" but not a monthly subscription service. If anyone has used this thing I'd be happy to find out how well it works, if it works.

IT sounds like a P2P proxy. each peer only knows the next server and the previous server in the path. This means, no logs to find your footprints since peers come and go constantly. I might give it a shot.

This could very well just be me, so if someone gets the point of this thing, please let me know. But it looks like it's a bloated, extended, hyped version of just using proxy servers. What am I missing?

looks like lots of benefits to a basic proxy. In addition to what's already been said, it is encrypted, which would be a very, VERY smart idea for wireless networks.

The only overhyped P2P network like that that I've actually seen work is I2P.

i found out about tor the other day while check out six/four.

Notes: This is experimental software, and not currently being actively maintained. For a project offering a comparable anonymity, please see http://freehaven.net/tor

haven't used either, although they (based on reactions from this thread) may suck currently, I think anonymity is something worth striving for.