EpyonMelee

New to real linux working

22 posts in this topic

k so i installed SuSe and it works fine, no problems.

My problem is how do i install a program?

like lm trying to get gaim and firefox, but i cant install neither. one comes with a rpm ( what is that?) and the others a are tared, which i guess is winrared.

so could some linux dudes help an aspiring linux learner to learn?

thanks in advance!

also what is the difference between the shell or bash and the Xterm, arent they same terminal programs?

rpm is a package managment system usually with binary files for redhat mandrake or suse.think of tar as a zip or rar but usually with source so you can compile it your self. With suse if you just open up yast you can get those things installed . I don't remember where yast is located in the "start" menu but it should be easy to find.

Bash is a shell and xterm should use it. It depends on what your user acount uses I think , but default is bash .

bash is bourne again shell I beleive.

sorry for edit but I am drunk and when I read what I typed it didn't make much sence.

Edited by regicide666

also when im in terminal, and i find like a video or music, how do i play it?

or if i find .exe's how do i run them?

Well you do have a lot of questions.. Ill try to answer all that I can while im getting ready to run out the door.

1 - Xterm and bash are not entirely different. The key factor is that Xterm is a terminal 'script' or program that runs in the X windows enviornment.. whereas bash for example doesn't require xwindows. in xterm you can switch your shells to a variety of options and they all or at least the ones i have used can run INSIDE xterm. There are also a variety of options for the x windows terminal interface such as the popular Aterm solution

2 - running exes or program binary files is fairly simple while in linux you will probably never see the .exe you can run these options by calling it using ./programfile or from another directory such as ./home/usera/usraejeetgames/pong There are also other ways to run them but for now stick with the basics. Also if its an executable make sure that it has proper permissions set, which you can google and it will give you a detailed example of permission setting since I don't have the time right now to flood the forum with that information.

3 - For listening to music files purely in console you will need to make sure your drivers are setup correctly and then you can use mp3123 I believe that will allow you to run strictly in console mode. As far as being in xwindows you can execute xmms which is a wonderful program for listening to music. As far as watching movies mplayer seems to be the popular choice for watching just about anything. You may need to seek plugins for some codecs.

4. For compiling things you will learn more from reading gcc or gcc+ man files. type man gcc

If you're referring to .exe files (Windows executables), the short easy answer is, you don't. At least as a newbie you don't want to worry about that (though it is possible).

For learning how to use RPMs, try 'man rpm' in terminal.

Tar files are a bit more complicated, though it seems many (including myself) prefer them over RPMs. The general command to extract a .tar.gz (as most tar files are usually gzipped as well) is 'tar -xvzf FILE'. This command will be different if it is as .tar.bz or just a .tar, please do 'man tar' for information on the different options (in my example command, the options are x, v, z, and f).

After you untar the file, you then cd to the directory that was created. An example would be if you ran 'tar -xvzf example.tar.gz', the created directory would be 'example'.

Once in that directory the general process is as follows:

./configure

make

make install

You then run the program with './programname'

In all cases, you will want to read the INSTALL/README/whatever text files in the unzipped directory. These will explain specific instructions you may need for the program you're using and such.

Anyway, this post is not detailed in any way and you'll certainly want to read up more (googling around mostly) for further information, but these are the basics.

Oh yeah, and for getting programs, I think SuSE has apt-get. So do a 'man apt-get' for information on that. Or just type 'apt-get' for the available options and brief descriptions of each (run apt-get as root).

If apt-get is available, that will probably be your easiest option to learn. Just spend a bit of time reading the man page for apt-get and you pick it up as you go.

Uh...sorry this post is so long, but *nix is not generally a very simple thing. Hope this helps, and hope I answered your questions clearly.

Ok, I know this is kinda an old post, but yeah, I'm trying to install Firefox and Gaim as well. There isn't a Suse specific Gaim, so I just downloaded the Red Hat and Mandrake versions. Yast keeps giving me all these conflicts when I try to install it. So I bypassed all that and hit accept and went on an installed Gaim... didn't work. I can't run it when I use the executable. As far as firefox, I'm sure the problem is just in preferences so I messed around with that a little bit. Firefox installed just fine, just everything is HUUUUUUGE in it... But I'm gonna mess around with the preferences (that I can't see because they go off screen) some more to try to figure that one out.

rpms? heh, good luck getting anything to work.

As for firefox, that problem was kinda weird too, fonts would look all weird in firefox for a while, they look good now, probably a gtk2 thing

Yeah, oddly...it went away... Not sure how or what I did or whatever... But either way, it's gone except for one thing, but I'll worry about that after I finish getting SuSe back to the way I had it last time it was on here...

As far as the Gaim is going, yeah...it's being a butthole. I decided to just try and compile it, and I'll let you all know how that goes.

Does SuSE have apt-get?

Anyway, for GAIM, just download the src file (With the .tar.gz extension) and build it from src.

That's what I'm doing, but compiling it is being a bitch. Apparently I had no compiler... and therefore downloaded TCC, and after that... I am a stuck man... yes... I read the installation prodecure in the manual for it. The commands are not working though, here's what the manual says to do.

1. `cd' to the directory containing the package's source code and type

`./configure' to configure the package for your system.  If you're

using `csh' on an old version of System V, you might need to type

`sh ./configure' instead to prevent `csh' from trying to execute

`configure' itself.

Running `configure' takes awhile.  While running, it prints some

messages telling which features it is checking for.

2. Type `make' to compile the package.

That's where I get stuck at, here's what happens when I use the make command.

Scheda@linux:~/Documents/tcc-0.9.22> make

bash: make: command not found

Scheda@linux:~/Documents/tcc-0.9.22>

Any help?

I don't use linux so take this advice with a grain of salt. I have been reading a book called Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!. It appears to be a great book for learning about doing everyday things on linux. Once I finish reading it once I will install linux and use the book to help me when I am stuck. They recommend using jabber for linux instant messaging.

Jabber

I am not sure exactly if it is a plug-in or a stand alone app similar to gaim where it can be used for yahoo, aol, etc.

If you are having trouble using yast to update/get gaim working perhaps you could try using ximian's red carpet which apperatly is now owned by novell? here is the link

red carpet

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jera

I'm not very current with SuSE, but I would imagine you could install gcc, make and other necessary packages and libraries for compiling code from the install disks. I did a quick google and found some sites mentioning that you can "go into Yast and add/remove packages"... I would imagine there is a package grouping for compiling source. You may want to try that out.

PF

Thanks Jera and PF.

Jera,

I'll check out those two, and if I like one better than gaim, I'll use that.

PF,

Thanks for the tip man, I'll definately be doing that on my super long flight tonight.

Apt-get is god. It makes RPM, CVSUP, etc. look like little bitches. Oh just the thought of apt-get make me horny.

Edited by Vulcanius

I have to give Jedibebop a nod...

I set up a Gentoo box about two weeks ago and "emerge package_name" is definitely the shit.

For ease of use and saved time. :voteyes: :voteyes:

PF

i suggest you pick up linux in a nutshell and linux for dummies. also consider buying a boxed distro as that's an easier way for newcomers to get aquainted with linux. they usually come with 3rd party apps, manuals, and tech support.

a funny site on gentoo

Scheda: Are you trying to run "make" as root?

Well, yeah, I'm root, but I'm just trying to use the command at all... I'm gonna explore the SuSe doc's some and see how that works out. I gotta hook up a new network at home though <_< So by the time I can get my laptop back online all the time....ew... that'll be a while till a router can be purchased...grrr....