Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hacnslash

slack9 is out

22 posts in this topic

WOOT slack 9 is out!! time for an upgrade, hmm, I wonder if its worth to upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0 I'll prolly wait for a .1 release. what do u guys think?

I say go for it - it might be a while before 9.1.

yeah, the thing that would deter me from upgrading is the fact that it took me a while till I got my current system up and running, I wouldnt like to go thru it again, but hey, if it works its worth it, I think Im gonna go for it. I wonder if this kernel supports my vt8235 onboard soundcard, my current kernel 2.3.18 doesn't suport it, and I am using the trial oss drivers that work but shut off after 20 minutes of running, now I can;t listen to rfa dammit.....

I'm gonna wait for the iso to come out tho, can't be more than a couple of weeks

I installed slack 8.1 just 2 weeks ago, and I knew 9 was coming out, so I just left the kernel that I installed with. I knew I would be upgrading somewhere in the next three months, so I thought it wouldn.t matter for a couple of months.

I also am a noob, and don't know if I can handle a kernel upgrade....i'll learn how to do it pretty soon tho.

Heh think that was just a typo BoBB.

With the upgrade you'll just get the updated stable packages and a few security fixes :voteyes: .

I checked the 2.4.20 (the kernel that comes with slack 9.0) changelog for you and the vt8235 is supported.

The suggested upgrade method for a slackware system is to backup what you need (/etc /home and /var if you're so inclined) and then install from scratch. I have a partition (or did until I sold my laptop) called /backup where I kept that stuff.

Keep on slackin'.

hey thanks for checkin that out for me feend,

and yeah, that was a typo, I meant 2.4.18, sorry bobb...

I'm gonna backup my root directory since that's where I keep all my shit, and all the tarballs from everything i've downloaded and installed. I'm gonna wait for the iso to come out tho, puttin all that crap on a cd is to hard for my (still) windows oriented brain....until I become more self reliant im gonna use the iso :roll:

silly me, there is an iso out :blush:

well, Im gettin it right now, and next weekend it's upgrade time!!!!

I'm gonna back up my XF86Config file as well as other stuff, like my samba.conf file, if Im lucky I'll be able to pop those in and be all right. I think it's gonna be easier to set up, now that I have some experience with it.

Hmm I checked with one of my favorite mirrors and it looks like that is an unofficial iso.

Installing from a partition on disk is really easy if you'd rather do it that way.

I'm gonna wait till next weekend, if no official iso comes out, I'm just installing this one from scratch, the worst is I'm gonna end up using 8.1 again till an official iso comes out.

on a sidenote I read that the included gcc (3.2.2) is very improved on every aspect but most of all on the C++ compiling, that being my programming laguage of choice (im learning it, well trying to, right now), that is a good reason for me to upgrade...

I'm also gonna leave 5 gigs of free space for longhorn wanna see what billy's cookin next.

you can find like 5 links on linuxiso.org that's where I got it from.

how do I know if it's the official iso or not??

Slackware has a listing of the official mirrors.

The best way to tell is to grab the MD5 text file that comes with the iso. Then after you are done downloading the iso run md5sum against it and see if it matches the text file.

I'm almost positive that LinuxISO is supplying "official" images but since I always use the mirror I mentioned before (has everything, almost never has a 530 error, and is fast) I can't say for sure.

If only for the fact that the new software has more to it, upgrading is always a good idea.. besides, you dont want to get owned for having a out of date and insecure install, do ya? ;)

I am running slack 9 right now and quite frankly........it kicks 455

Slack has and always will be the more RTFM distro of the nix world.. heh

thats why I love it, u learn shit ny doing shit

i learned lto use linux on slack7.0 ... now running slack9 and i cant see changing at all ... i love slack... gentoo is the only distro that i can see competing with slack... but i'm just a slack kinda guy

I just finished configuring samba on slack 9, and i had to manually edit the samba.conf file, after i did all this I found out why swt wasnt working......but still it gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.

thats what slacks all about u want to break your shit trying to get everything to work but when u get it to work the only thing to say it w00t!!!!!! its party time!!! ;) keep on slackin

I learned on slack, had slack 7.1 when it was brand new, still got a boot cd of it.. lol.