Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dougles

Monitor corner shaking in Linux

10 posts in this topic

This is a rather peculiar problem.

I'm running Mandrake 10 (yes, I know it's crap -- But I'm not very seasoned with Linux). While in KDE or Gnome (it happens in both), the top left corner of my monitor's display continually shakes. I don't really understand it.

Now, in writing this I am beginning to suspect that it is less of a Linux question, because now that I think about it -- this also happens while my system is booting up. When all of the lovely bios information screens flash by, I've still got the shakes.

It doesn't happen in Windows for whatever reason.

Any ideas?

Btw, I'm not near my computer at this specific moment so I'll be unable to answer very specific questions.

Hm, if it's a CRT, I'm thinking it may be the shadow mask inside the picture tube has come loose ( Worst case, as this is unrepairable ) or perhaps there's a magnetic disturbance causing it to seem like it's shaking ( Best case, find the source and fix it ).

My suggestion is try another monitor. If it doesn't happen on that one, look at the top diagnosis. If it happens on that one too, then it'll be the bottom. Also try repositioning the existing monitor or rapping lightly on the side when it's on. If it shakes with each tap, then it's probably going to be terminal.

I could be wrong, tho.

is thair a fan or any other object that would create a magnetic field bye the computer

Ahh, I figured it out. It was a lamp on the computer desk. Thanks guys. I feel so stupid. :P

When I first moved into my house a few years back I chose a room for my computer and desk and stuff that only had one useable corner . So I got everything set up and my monitor started doing the same thing only all over. I looked to see if anything could be screwing with it and there was nothing . I moved the monitor over a few feet and it was fine. Putting it back screwed it up again. I decided the room has some screwed up magnetic feild in the corner and it just wouldn't work for an office.

when I first got my amd 2800 I bought everything new, keyboard speakers all that, and a new monitor. Had the 2 satelites and the sub on my desk, and noticed after a few days the manual said the sub wasn't sheilded, but the satelites were. I quickly moved the sub away but it was too late, soon it started to flicker, then it would kind of change color, then it turned bright one day and stayed that way, then the sides of the screen would expand and contract slightly (kina hard to see) but it would get worse and worse, at that point I just tossed it to the curb and got another one heh

We had the same problem (monitor display shaking) with one of our graphic artists at work. He had a big 21" Sony CRT and right after we moved him to a new cube, his monitor developed the exact symptom you described.

Turned out there was some electrical conduit (lots of it) in an access panel in the wall right behind the monitor. Rather than move him again, I just allocated him a nice new LCD display. My boss was under the impression that the CRT had something wrong with it, so she told me to take it home or trash it.......so now I have a nice SONY 21" monitor free!

yes, I know it's crap -- But I'm not very seasoned with Linux

Who told you that.

you have to read some reviews.

Profetas

Well, the only person nearby who has any experience with Linux is a Slackware fanboy. He insists that all distributions are < Slackware.

I actually enjoy Mandrake for its increased device support. First time in my experience with Linux distributions (Redhat, previous versions of Mandrake, Fedora) that I didn't experience problems with my integrated soundcard.

I think Mandrake is excellent for people who don't already know Linux and want to run Linux.

Slack is moreso for people who know Linux and want to run Linux.

When you mess up in Linux, regardless of the distribution, you get beat. Mandrake chooses to beat with a pillow while other flavors beat with some sort of carbon rod.

Either way, I thought that Mr.Slackware's opinion was that of the general populous.

I like Mandrake. :P

slackware isn't all that great, it needs to be ported to other archs bigtime