Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jera

Depressed

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone ever feel like they are doing everything they can to get somewhere in life but it does not seem to work. I feel that for a while now I have done what I can to get ahead. I read no less than 2 hours a day, I take classes at the community college, I try things on my computers, and I read/search the web for info. I just feel I am getting no where. It makes me depressed to think of all the work I do and to know that I have yet to get anywhere. I don't think I can go on like this anymore. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I know how you feel dude. We all go through those kind of periods. Trust me though, the reading and learning does not go unhelping though. What I'd do when I get these periods, I take a break for a day... Try to stop thinking all the time... watch a movie, go hang out with people. Just take a break. Don't overdo it. Let yourself have a little time to let it all sink in. Probably what happens, is you read all of it, just don't let it sink in.... let it do that for a day or so. Just take a short break. It'll help.

Here is my advice... we all get caught up in life.. It's really cool to learn how to do things and push forward and keep trying things... but there comes a time when you just need to step back and take a break... if we don't, then we start to get depressed and feel like nothing works.... we lose focus and prespective on things.

Maybe instead of pushing yourself harder... stop.. regroup, find something that interests you that you havent' ever done... like painting or butterfly catching... something out of the ordinary... and take time to do that.. when we can step back and have a little fun and let some things go it always helps in understand and dealing with stress and when you do come back to things whenever or however that is, you'll have a fresh view and understanding and things will be in better prespective.

i hear ya Jera. life is a bitch. then you die. ive been pretty down in the dumps lately myself, but some things seem to be getting better slowly.

subzero always comes thru with the good advice too.

good luck.

Sorry Jera. I think we have all been there. It also depends on what you mean by geting ahead in life. Why are you putting so much effort in? Is it just for money down the road? If thats just part of it then you ARE getting ahead. It's easy to loose track of why we do it. Just the fact that you are here, tells me there must be more to your persistance than a job or money.

That being said, money RULES! I won't deny that for a second. But the reason we all want money is so we can enjoy life more. If your too busy trying to get that great job your whole life to enjoy living, you fail to reach your goal even if you do get the money. Sit back and relax a bit. Most "successful people" are not any happier than poor one are. It just seems liek they shoud be. Many a millionare dies stressed out about finances ,and getting that next job contract.

I recently stopped all my efforts to learn new hacking related skills. I didn't loose interest, but i was at risk of it. Life got busy all by itself. I was working 60+ hours aweek at my main job, studying 2-3 hours a night, putting 15 or so hours a week into my Ebay sales, and trying to learn C, Java, and Perl and missing 3-4 nights of sleep each week. I knew i needed to trim some of the projects out for a bit or risk burning out. I hope you do the same. I wasn't stressed over bills or the little things i life, but it WAS STRESSING ME OUT. Noone here wants to see you burn out friend.

Yeah, shit like that happens, I usually escape it to my computer or video games, working with Linux is a pretty good way to take your mind off of anything but Linux. :)

You just gotta tough it out, I know it looks pointless sometimes, but you're here to make a difference in the world, you just need to prepare for it first, and this is sometimes a difficult task.

What I hated was I would take a break and try to do something else like go hang out with friends and do something social but then I realize wtf ive been so busy doing stuff I thought was important that I have no friends no one to go hang out with so I decided to try and find a happy medium between important stuff and being social. While at school ide say fuck it and go talk with some ppl that I knew b4 I became a "nerd" and for the most part they were cool and got my ass outa the house and now I feel much better and less depressed but just dont loose sight of what you think is important but also take time out and be social it helps alot with depression. hope this helped

edit:Oh and get laid that helps also ;)

Edited by Argent