Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hacnslash

vmware

18 posts in this topic

I just got the trial version from their site and the installation goes pretty smoothly, up untill it asks me where my init directories are (rc0.d to rc6.d) I know from online sources they should be in the /etc directory but they're not, I also have slackware 8.1 (might help to pinpoint where these folders went) any suggestions??

>I just got the trial version from their site and the installation goes pretty smoothly,

I hope my question is not a stupid one like the last (on linux or windows) but what trial version?

VMWare offers a 30-90 day trial version. And your init scripts are probably in /etc/rc.d/ or something like that, im not sure how slackware handles init scripts but it could also be in /etc/init.d/

Actually its not a "trial version" its a trial liscence for the full version.

yeah, its the trial license, the program is full-version, but the license expires in a month. First of all, I only have rc.0 rc.4 and rc.6 in my /etc/rd.0 directory, they're not rc0.d rc4.d and rc6.d (they're supposed to be like that), and I don't have an init.d directory, and yeah, I do have show hidden folders enabled. so where the f*ck could they be??

I also did a search for any file with rc in the name, and it came up with nothing, even tho I have the above mentioned files.

What exactly are you supposed to be doing with the init scripts?

I've been away from slackware for way too long now so without seeing the directory It's hard for me to say for sure.

/etc/rc.d should be the directory for all your run command scripts instead of breaking it up into directories for different runlevels like other distributions will do. You might just want to try putting whatever little shell script they have in the documentation in rc.6 (just append it to the end).

If all the binaries and libs are there you can try running it just to see if it'll work. The rc scripts just makes sure it starts when the machine is booted.

I tried running it and it tells me its not "properly configurated, run the vmware-install.pl" and that just starts the install again, and of course it all goes well, until the init part

I have no idea what its supposed to do with them, it just asks me for the directory where these files are at, and I have no idea of that....

yeah, its the trial license, the program is full-version, but the license expires in a month. First of all, I only have rc.0 rc.4 and rc.6 in my /etc/rd.0 directory, they're not rc0.d rc4.d and rc6.d (they're supposed to be like that), and I don't have an init.d directory, and yeah, I do have show hidden folders enabled. so where the f*ck could they be??

I also did a search for any file with rc in the name, and it came up with nothing, even tho I have the above mentioned files.

You don't have to have each runlevel populated with something. And most likely the rc.0, rc.4, and rc.6 are files with symlinks to the actual init scripts. You should be able to tell where the init scripts are from that. Oh and your init scripts are supossed to be however your distro wants them to be :P I've never seen 2 distro's handle them the same way.

ok, well I made some dummy files in my /etc directory so vmware could install happily, and it works, now I need to run the vmware-config.pl script to configure the damn thing, but I get an error that it can't stop the vmware services that are running, but there are no vmware services running, I killed them and checked with top to see if anything vmware related was running, and there was nothing there, weird, what impressions do you guys have about wine?? :)

u know what screw vmware, im goin for open source all the way, im gettin wine baby!!!!!

apparently, I cant get wine installed either!! I do ./configure make depend when I do make it goes on forever with the same damn error over and fukkin over:

shlview.c:1790: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in arithmetic

and there is another one it sticks in there occasionally:

/usr/include/bits/string2.h:436: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in arithmetic

which is not exaclty the same, as you can see......

wtf is goin on??? btw this is the tarball not the rpm....

Those are just warnings, they shouldn't keep it from compiling and are not that big of a deal. Just bad coding, I see that everywhere, stuff like mozilla, java, all the really huge programs, I assume its a time saver that doesn't really affect anything.

hmmm, kay, I'll let it sit and install the thing....

Big advice for those installing vmware on linux. KEEP YOUR KERNEL SOURCES!!!.... you will find out what I mean if you dont have them and you run into this issue.

Wine needs a winho partion to use I belive, and Slack uses a not-exactly-standard setup.. creating dummy files can be helpfull, but then again symlinking your file structure can as well.. then again it always helps to read the docs, that may help you.

I finally gave up on emulation, to much of a hassle, I just installed some windaz on a 6 gig partition.

I might actually try it just for the hell of it, I know im better off with just a separate install, because its faster, but maybe i'll give it another wirl...