tokachu

Your own proxy

15 posts in this topic

Here's how I set up my proxy:

1) Install squid.

2) Set it up to only allow connections from 127.0.0.1.

3) SSH tunnel into your Linux box (ssh -L 8080:127.0.0.1:8080 -l login mybox.dom).

If you don't do that, your "alternate" proxies can still be looked at (and blocked). I use my proxy when I'm on a public wireless access point to keep packet kiddies from seeing what I'm doing. If you've got the resources, you should do the same.

I'd still recommend my idea, because I know for a fact that most high schools have packet sniffers that can figure out when someone's using a proxy (and can then look at the URLs, log them, and print them out to show you at the end of the week to give you a shitty weekend). At least with an SSH tunnel you can tell if you're being watched or not.

I'd still recommend my idea, because I know for a fact that most high schools have packet sniffers that can figure out when someone's using a proxy (and can then look at the URLs, log them, and print them out to show you at the end of the week to give you a shitty weekend). At least with an SSH tunnel you can tell if you're being watched or not.

i remember reading something about tunneling and that you still could get tracked by doing so.

For running a proxy for public access I reccomend http://sourceforge.net/projects/poxy/

easy as hell to setup and run.... ^_^

That is a great little piece, now if only we can get it to add as many differant proxies as we want, it would be great .. I could get a list of elite proxies together! :grr:

My school blocks SSH all together, even when I try to go via webmin. I have tried changing ssh ports, but it still blocks it. I will get around it; tis just a matter of time.

actually an easier approach would be to download Putty onto the comptuer at lets say school you wish to use it at. Put it in your private directory, then simply go into connection > proxy and set up a socks proxy. Then reconfigure your browser to use the proxy, you can also force ports, however that would require local administrator and most schools don't do that.

To do the above from console its ssh -D, so if your user name was john and you wanted the socks proxy on port 1142 it would be ssh -l john -D 1142 127.0.0.1

What this will do is shove all your traffic through the ssh tunnel to your home box and out the network from there. Chances are your schools network admins are far to incompitent to block SSH properly let alone at all so you should be good for about ever.

My ISP (SBC - Same Bad Company) recently blocked traffic on port 110 (POP3) to everything but their server. My webmail fucking sucks. SSH SOCKS tunnels are great for temporary tunnels when your out and about, but i'm looking for a more permanent solution. If i'm not mistaken, squid is just an HTTP proxy (Correct me if i'm wrong, I've never used it.) Any suggestions?

Ive enjoyed this thread and decided I want to take on the project of providing my own proxy. One question though. When using a machine as a proxy, how much effect does it have on bandwidth? For instance, I run a webserver from home with a basic DSL package. The up/down rates are ok now but if Im using that box as a proxy while Im in public, will it effect the traffic coming to and from the server greatly?

Ive enjoyed this thread and decided I want to take on the project of providing my own proxy. One question though. When using a machine as a proxy, how much effect does it have on bandwidth? For instance, I run a webserver from home with a basic DSL package. The up/down rates are ok now but if Im using that box as a proxy while Im in public, will it effect the traffic coming to and from the server greatly?

the amount of bandwidth depends on how much you use the proxy server and what you're viewing through it....

It's acting like a relay so it's going to download through the proxy first then upload to your comptuer that you're accessing the proxy through.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I live in australia and my service provider "BigPond" are the only ISP in australia that count the uploads aspart as the downloads, which really sucks. I am an avid fan of downloading torrents, which encompass everything from music, movies, applications, games, and NORP. (Pron spelt backwards) :P

I only have a 10gb limit, its cable too so its very fast, but i always seem to go over my download limit. Any idea's on how to maybe limit the service without me sacraficing my time on the computer. I use Azereus with speed scheduler which stops any of my downloads once they are completed, i also try and limit the amount of upload to anyone while im downloading to anyone else to like 2-3kbps.

I've been thinking about using proxy software, but i cant find any decent software. Anyone have any suggestions ??

squid supports the http connect method too.

My ISP (SBC - Same Bad Company) recently blocked traffic on port 110 (POP3) to everything but their server. My webmail fucking sucks. SSH SOCKS tunnels are great for temporary tunnels when your out and about, but i'm looking for a more permanent solution. If i'm not mistaken, squid is just an HTTP proxy (Correct me if i'm wrong, I've never used it.) Any suggestions?

The Squid proxy is transparent, like Privoxy. It doesn't hide the fact that you're using a proxy, which means that anonymity is hurt. It just cleans up web pages, that kind of thing. Google "level 5 proxies" or "elite proxies."

You would have to hope that the ssh port is not blocked on the wifi cafe router or whatever. If it isn't than this should work. Squid isn't that bad to install anyways, and it comes with many distros. I shall try it!

I use RDP, VNC and FreeNX s even better then a proxy, because anywork you do is right there, when you get back home.