Random_Cola

Mac Hacking

22 posts in this topic

heh, I just bought a mac. I want to start a mac hacking thread, so~ if anyone else is intrested post here, ill put my updates and finds here. :-D

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15"

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0

AND IT IS SEXY!!

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15"

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0

AND IT IS SEXY!!

Yum... about twice as fast as mine. :)

If you haven't yet, install the XCode tools so you can compile code. It'll install the gcc and g++ compilers, as well as other cool stuff.

Did you get the Airport card with it? If not, get one and do some wardriving. Get your hands on a download of KisMac and go to town. This should come with Panther installed. I understand you can do MAC address spoofing under Panther, but I've never had a chance to try, or know anyone who has. Supposedly you can do it under Jaguar, but it takes a kernel compile to add the functionality, and I'm no where near brave enough to do that on my TiBook.

PF

Mac Hacking: Install a linux distro on it.

Supposedly you can do it under Jaguar, but it takes a kernel compile to add the functionality, and I'm no where near brave enough to do that on my TiBook.

ifconfig ethX down
ifconfig ethX hw ether 00:DE:AD:BE:EF:00
ifconfig ethX up

Doesn't work ?

If you dont have an airport card, don't get one if you intend to do any serious wardriving. If you do have one, check out the viha tools, and kismet. I had a setup for wardriving with my powerbook a while ago, but I lost interest as there are no access points around here.

As far as other types of hacking, a lot of *nix programs compile fine with OS X, nmap, a handful of THC programs.

ifconfig ethX down

ifconfig ethX hw ether 00:DE:AD:BE:EF:00

ifconfig ethX up

I believe all you need to do is ifconfig enX lladdr [desired mac address here], and it automatically shuts the device down sets the address, and restarts it (note the devices are named enX, not ethX).

Have fun, thats a sweet machine.

Nope, it doesn't work. It's a kernel issue:

ifconfig: ioctl (set lladdr): Operation not supported

As far as wardriving is concerned, I've done pretty well with my Airport card. I've gotten my Orinoco Gold to work with drivers from Sourceforge, and get better signal strength, but for the trouble you have to go through to get it set up it isn't worth it. KisMAC and the airport card work OK.

I haven't run into many CLI apps that don't have a port for OS X now. There's even an apt-get style package manager called fink. If you're so inclined there's a graphical front end for it as well called "fink commander". You can get both through Sourceforge.

Why install Linux on an OS X-equipped Mac? It makes perfect sense for an older machine, but not one of the newer ones. If OS X isn't *nix-like enough, you can always ssh into a Linux box for a shell session. I do it all the time.

PF

Why install Linux on an OS X-equipped Mac? It makes perfect sense for an older machine, but not one of the newer ones. If OS X isn't *nix-like enough, you can always ssh into a Linux box for a shell session. I do it all the time.

Hah.

where can I get XCode, I mean, I think apple wants me to pay. :-\ and ill be damned if I do...

Hah.

More issues, Omni? Don't I do anything you like? :roll:

where can I get XCode, I mean, I think apple wants me to pay. :-\ and ill be damned if I do...

I was under the impression that it came with your OS. If not, all you need to do is get a "developer" account. No charge. You can see about it here.

There are three levels of membership. Costs are: free, $500 and $3500. Guess which one I have. ;)

If I was really interested in developing Mac software I'd look into the $500 level and do a serious cost/benefit comparison. With it you get pre-release software for testing, the latest version of OS X shipped upon release, OS X Server available for testing, and other stuff including discounts on Apple hardware for trade show vendors and access to the ADC Labs in Cupertino, Beijing, and Tokyo for testing software or hardware on multiple Apple system configurations. You can schedule two sessions a month with the second level membership. Pretty cool.

But anyhow, XCode is free for download.

PF

Edited by pixelFiend

Heh. I'll take it as a sign if I cant find the app...maybe i shouldn't use it :-P

Yah, if it came with the OS I Dont know where they hid it...maybe in the applications folder ::looks in applications folder...nope!:: so if you have a link to the download please share.

In other news, I have been playing with this blue tooth and wi-fi stuff + Terminal...man this is sexy. :wub:

I meant as an additional CD with your OS CDs. You should have two install CDs and one with the most recent XCode tools.

The Xcode Tools, which ship as part of Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and are available for download to ADC Members, include everything you need to begin developing applications for Mac OS X: Xcode 1.5, gcc 3.3, Interface Builder 2.4.2, AppleScript Studio, updated documentation, performance tools, and much more.

But if you didn't buy Panther separately, you may have to download.

This is as far as I can take you without your login info:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

Click to login to your account. It'll tell you that you have no "active assets". Select "Download Software" from the links on the left. In the next window, click a radio button to pick your download location, then click on the "developer tools" link on the left. In the next window, scroll down to the bottom and download the XCode Tools v1.1 and install. The latest version of the tools available for install is v1.5, which is also available for download on the same page, but I think it requires that you install the earlier full version.

PF

PF is right. The Xcode CD ships in the retail box of Panther. If you got a new machine with Panther already installed, then Xcode should still be there, but it'll be on the restore disks that came with your system.

On my G5 OS X install/restore CD Disk 1, there is a folder called Xcode Tools. Inside that there is a Developer install package that will install Xcode tools, the compiler, etc.

Once you install the Xcode tools, you should run Software Update to see if they have been updated from the version you have installed. After that, running Repair Permissons on your boot volume from Disk Utility wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The Xcode and developer tools do not come installed on new machines, so you have to install the stuff yourself if you want to use it, but it's there.....

Have fun! :D

Thanks, yeah, I think I've just got a separate "Developer Tools" CD that came with Jaguar. Been a while. I wasn't sure of how it was included with Panther. I'm not using Panther yet for a variety of reasons. :)

Repairing permissions is a good idea. Here is where you can learn how.

PF

Pff I got ripped off. :-P thats okay though, Ima gonna go see tha apple rep. The membership on apple is still gonna require me to pay for somthing. woot guys. thanks for your help :-)

viva la mac

Yeah.

Your avatar gives me nightmares.

eep!

:)

Let's continue the Mac-hacking thread. Heard several people on DDP and here on the forums use it and many are planning on switching. Must be lot to talk about. What about the issue of some nice linux apps never getting ported to Mac OS X (aircrack complete package, gnuradio etc)?

Edited by macK3r

I'm working with some members on the PHLAK board to eventually port the PHLAK live CD over to the Power PC architecture.

I'm working with some members on the PHLAK board to eventually port the PHLAK live CD over to the Power PC architecture.

Very cool. I'd love to try it.

Let's continue the Mac-hacking thread. Heard several people on DDP and here on the forums use it and many are planning on switching. Must be lot to talk about. What about the issue of some nice linux apps never getting ported to Mac OS X (aircrack complete package, gnuradio etc)?

I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago. OS X has a decent third party package manager called Fink. It's very very similar to Debian's apt. Apt offers a few ways to make .deb packages from source code so that you can take advantage of the package manager's dependency-solving features. I did some searching and found similar methods for making fink packages for OS X. I haven't tried it out yet, and I would imagine that any success in building the package would depend on how the specific source is built, but it'd be interesting to see if it could be made to work. Here's a link to the howto:

http://books.deathace.net/unix3/mac/ch06_01.htm

PF

I was looking for xcode and it appears to only run on OS X. Does anyone know something like that for OS 9.2?

I was looking for xcode and it appears to only run on OS X.  Does anyone know something like that for OS 9.2?

Unfortunately, no. Apple got the developer tools "for free" sort of when they bought NeXT in 96-97, and then they did the great service of bundling them with OS X. The most widely used developer tools on OS9 was CodeWarrior IIRC.

Xcode are the best RAD tools I've ever used (never used CW myself, though).