Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sp00f

Fortres

6 posts in this topic

Ok, I need some help. Computer running Fortres (v4.0 I think). It's also running cleanslate so it wipes the log files of fortres along with whatever was installed since last reboot everytime it's restarted.

What does Fortres do?

How well does it do it?

How do you get rid of it?

Shift+alt+control+F brings up a password dialog (appmgr.exe in tasks) that disappears when it's not the active window. Tried looking some info up online. There's nothing recoverable in the .set or .cs3 files (and yes, I found the site that supposedly does it for you.. it took the entire input and says the password is the letter P. My ass. Anyway, trying to get rid of it. Any help appreciated.

-sp00f.

hmm... windows comp right? if you have access to the run prompt go to msconfig and disable clean state in the start up if possible... or go the registry and find it and delete the values? if its one of those damn relay computers that are networked and when u turn them on there loaded with there poilicies settings and files from a remote server try booting up in safe mode or turning on the comp and pulling the ethernet cable before it boots the os... this might work if this is windows but ive never heard of fortres? if fortes is some other os all that window info is useless to ya... ima search it up see what i can find.. post back later.. :wacko:

Fortres runs on windows. Comp is using windows XP pro. Cleanslate isn't a problem. Matter of fact, it's a nice little feature to have all the logs erased if you accidentally kick the powersupply. Problem is getting this Fortres killed, at least temporarily as cleanslate will put it back in after reboot. Can't figure out what it does/is/is doing. I know a boatload of things are disabled while it's running though, and that's bad.

I got no clue how to pull a version number off this thing. Happened to hit just the right keypress and a password box came up. I said, gee, that's odd. So I opened tasks and did it a few more times. Only thing changing was appmgr.exe.. Google'd it and I'm assuming it's Fortres. I'm not at that comp but I'll go hunting around in the install dir to see if I can grab a readme or something with the version on it.

til then,

-sp00f (needing a tinfoil hat)

That program is so old and useless, it's not just not funny, it's hilarious. :lol: But seriously, my old high school ditched Fortres back in late 2001 when they figured out you could just use Deep Freeze and set user permissions on Windows 2000 (it works just as well on XP too). I'd recommend that you fire off an email to whoever's administering confine.com. They were the ones who brought all the Fortres exploits in the public eye.

I'd also recommend you let your school system know that they've been duped. They don't need to spend ungodly amounts of cash on human feces in a software box.